OMG! Socket AM2 Platform Review!

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
The game settings mainly, like farcray is 1024 whilst splinter cell and quake 4 are high rez and effects to boot. They also should have done quake 4 with and without the SMP patch(no idea if its used, can't see it mentioned anywhere, probably blind) Theres multithreading tests but they should have done single thread and multithread. No 64bit either.

Its impressive stuff (conroe), I'd just like more testing. :)

Imgnryflagdotcom

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
I looked at the article's page where it lists all of the AM2 CPUs which are going to be released tomorrow (Still monday here on the WC). There aren't any opterons. I am planning to build my first rig this summer (After months and months of planning, research, and waiting for AM2), and was recently convinced of the Opteron's high overclockibility and low temps.

Does anyone know when AMD is going to release AM2 Opterons, if at all?

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I must say I was unimpressed with the article and the conclusions it draws. Note that this is more a commentary on the writing of the article than on the Processors being compared. I think the next few days will show us a lot more in-depth articles that will be more helpful in drawing conclusions, at least for those who haven't already taken sides/drawn their own conclusions.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
The game settings mainly, like farcray is 1024 whilst splinter cell and quake 4 are high rez and effects to boot. They also should have done quake 4 with and without the SMP patch(no idea if its used, can't see it mentioned anywhere, probably blind) Theres multithreading tests but they should have done single thread and multithread. No 64bit either.

They explain the reasons they do that is to give a comparison of performance differences in two different settings, one high resolution+AA/AF, and another with medium resolution with no AA/AF. They also say after testing Farcry with high resolution+AA/AF, they get similar differences as the other benchmarks, like Splinter Cell and Quake 4 did.

So my estimations were right after all. Real world benchmarks would show GREATER differences between Conroe and other CPUs than portrayed in Anand's preview.

Quake 4 doesn't use SMP on that particular test from the numbers.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
No 64bit either.

Man. I get tired of this. People are so skeptical and think Intel is so "evil" that they modified the IDF systems to be benefitting Conroe. Nothing else shows that's true.

If you want to look at 64 bit benchmarks go to Tech-Report and see Woodcrest vs. Opteron comparison.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005

No. With no official announcements or even rumors to that effect, it looks like Opterons will remain on the Socket 939/940 for now, later moving to Socket F. Without even theinquirer.net speculating on this, I suspect that, unfortunately, the AM2 Socket may never have any Opterons available...

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006

No. With no official announcements or even rumors to that effect, it looks like Opterons will remain on the Socket 939/940 for now, later moving to Socket F. Without even theinquirer.net speculating on this, I suspect that, unfortunately, the AM2 Socket may never have any Opterons available... Ya but you forgot to say that all new opty's will have ddr3 support on socket F.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
Man. I get tired of this. People are so skeptical and think Intel is so "evil" that they modified the IDF systems to be benefitting Conroe. Nothing else shows that's true.

If you want to look at 64 bit benchmarks go to Tech-Report and see Woodcrest vs. Opteron comparison.

The tech report review came out AFTER the hexus review.

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
actually the 1xx opterons have been on the AM2 roadmap for quite a while. Odds are they will show up around the same time as socket F, or even later. Considering opty 285 just started shipping a month or so ago and the 290's are starting shipping soon, and the fact that server sockets change less frequently than desktop ones, things look the way they should.