Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

OMG! Socket AM2 Platform Review!

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 23, 2006 5:09:35 AM

Link.

Discuss!
May 23, 2006 5:12:19 AM

I saw it, it lacks depth.
May 23, 2006 5:15:50 AM

Ya and some of the choices of settings seem odd.
Related resources
May 23, 2006 5:33:30 AM

The game settings mainly, like farcray is 1024 whilst splinter cell and quake 4 are high rez and effects to boot. They also should have done quake 4 with and without the SMP patch(no idea if its used, can't see it mentioned anywhere, probably blind) Theres multithreading tests but they should have done single thread and multithread. No 64bit either.

Its impressive stuff (conroe), I'd just like more testing. :) 
May 23, 2006 5:38:53 AM

I looked at the article's page where it lists all of the AM2 CPUs which are going to be released tomorrow (Still monday here on the WC). There aren't any opterons. I am planning to build my first rig this summer (After months and months of planning, research, and waiting for AM2), and was recently convinced of the Opteron's high overclockibility and low temps.

Does anyone know when AMD is going to release AM2 Opterons, if at all?
May 23, 2006 5:40:57 AM

The A64s prefer LL to bandwidth. On hex us it really looks like the whole thing cost Intel a bundle.
May 23, 2006 5:42:46 AM

I know, that doesn't mean I still can't be unreasonable. :) 
May 23, 2006 6:04:38 AM

Orleans and Manila cores dont support ddr2 800 :( 
May 23, 2006 7:20:59 AM

Quote:
I know, that doesn't mean I still can't be unreasonable. :) 


How long does each unreasonable ticket last? I have three but the ink is worn off of the timing strip.
May 23, 2006 7:32:48 AM

I must say I was unimpressed with the article and the conclusions it draws. Note that this is more a commentary on the writing of the article than on the Processors being compared. I think the next few days will show us a lot more in-depth articles that will be more helpful in drawing conclusions, at least for those who haven't already taken sides/drawn their own conclusions.
May 23, 2006 12:13:19 PM

Quote:
The game settings mainly, like farcray is 1024 whilst splinter cell and quake 4 are high rez and effects to boot. They also should have done quake 4 with and without the SMP patch(no idea if its used, can't see it mentioned anywhere, probably blind) Theres multithreading tests but they should have done single thread and multithread. No 64bit either.


They explain the reasons they do that is to give a comparison of performance differences in two different settings, one high resolution+AA/AF, and another with medium resolution with no AA/AF. They also say after testing Farcry with high resolution+AA/AF, they get similar differences as the other benchmarks, like Splinter Cell and Quake 4 did.

So my estimations were right after all. Real world benchmarks would show GREATER differences between Conroe and other CPUs than portrayed in Anand's preview.

Quake 4 doesn't use SMP on that particular test from the numbers.
May 23, 2006 12:14:49 PM

Quote:
No 64bit either.


Man. I get tired of this. People are so skeptical and think Intel is so "evil" that they modified the IDF systems to be benefitting Conroe. Nothing else shows that's true.

If you want to look at 64 bit benchmarks go to Tech-Report and see Woodcrest vs. Opteron comparison.
May 23, 2006 1:12:17 PM

Quote:
Quake 4 doesn't use SMP on that particular test from the numbers.


On second thought, comparing AM2 numbers from Tech Report and from Hexus, Hexus IS using SMP enabled Quake 4, and Tech Report doesn't.
May 23, 2006 2:37:40 PM

Quote:
Intel's Conroe spanks AMD FX-62's botty - for real!!


I usually stay away from reviews when the first thing I read is that.
May 23, 2006 3:29:24 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know when AMD is going to release AM2 Opterons, if at all?


No. With no official announcements or even rumors to that effect, it looks like Opterons will remain on the Socket 939/940 for now, later moving to Socket F. Without even theinquirer.net speculating on this, I suspect that, unfortunately, the AM2 Socket may never have any Opterons available...
May 23, 2006 3:35:13 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know when AMD is going to release AM2 Opterons, if at all?


No. With no official announcements or even rumors to that effect, it looks like Opterons will remain on the Socket 939/940 for now, later moving to Socket F. Without even theinquirer.net speculating on this, I suspect that, unfortunately, the AM2 Socket may never have any Opterons available... Ya but you forgot to say that all new opty's will have ddr3 support on socket F.
May 23, 2006 8:50:43 PM

Quote:
Man. I get tired of this. People are so skeptical and think Intel is so "evil" that they modified the IDF systems to be benefitting Conroe. Nothing else shows that's true.

If you want to look at 64 bit benchmarks go to Tech-Report and see Woodcrest vs. Opteron comparison.


The tech report review came out AFTER the hexus review.
May 23, 2006 9:42:45 PM

No, Orleans and Manilla don't support DDR2 800 at stock speeds. You weren't planning on running at stock speeds anyway! :) 
May 23, 2006 9:48:06 PM

No, Orleans and Manilla don't support DDR2 800 at stock speeds. You weren't planning on running at stock speeds anyway! :) 
May 23, 2006 9:59:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks

I guess I'm stuck with an X2


Perhaps--but these questions and many other questions about AMD's future products look to be answered on June 1 of this year..
May 23, 2006 10:00:29 PM

actually the 1xx opterons have been on the AM2 roadmap for quite a while. Odds are they will show up around the same time as socket F, or even later. Considering opty 285 just started shipping a month or so ago and the 290's are starting shipping soon, and the fact that server sockets change less frequently than desktop ones, things look the way they should.
May 23, 2006 10:28:51 PM

Anandtech's review is up.

Link.

Quote:
AMD is also awaiting the launch of Core 2 Duo, though for different reasons; in fact one of its stipulations for sending out Socket-AM2 review kits was that the CPUs not be compared to Conroe.


:lol: 
May 23, 2006 10:36:38 PM

I was about to post that! Damn you are fast.
May 24, 2006 5:52:40 AM

Quote:
No, Orleans and Manilla don't support DDR2 800 at stock speeds. You weren't planning on running at stock speeds anyway! :) 


Truth :p 
May 24, 2006 6:35:46 AM

They should do that. It'd be the funniest PR/marketing thing ever. Perhaps at launch?
May 24, 2006 6:45:31 AM

Quote:
Anandtech's review is up.

Link.

AMD is also awaiting the launch of Core 2 Duo, though for different reasons; in fact one of its stipulations for sending out Socket-AM2 review kits was that the CPUs not be compared to Conroe.


:lol: 

Hey, wasn't it just 4 or 5 months ago or so that AMD was tuanting Intel to a face-off of each of the company's fastest processors? Wouldn't it have been a hoot if Intel accepted and wheeled out a functioning Woodcrest :lol:  :lol: 


Evidently that challenge has been withdrawn....

Jack

Totally forgot about that. And i'm quiet sure AMD is hoping we forgot

too....LMAO :D 
!