AwsmGy

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I have a 7600GT that's overclocked 50mhz, the temp I get while idle is around 60c and while under a load goes up to about 67c. However, if I return it to stock settings, I get the same temperatures. I've been using everst home edition to check my temps, but the only thing it gives me any reading for is the GPU. So my first question is, what other program can I use the would most likely be able to read all of my components, and my second question is, if infact my card is actually running that hot all the time, is there something wrong with it?

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Graphics cards can run hot. Some cards are even running at 80c and it's still fine as 115c is the threshold. When is the last time you clean your card? You need to clean it time to time as dust accumulates inside the heatsink fins and blocks the airflow and heat tranfer. It's also good to replace the old thermalpaste with a better one like Artic Silver 5. But if you want better cooling solution other than water cooling then check out Zalman and Arctic Cooling for VGA card cooler. They run quiter and cooler than stock but make sure you have the space for these coolers are huge.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Graphics cards can run hot. Some cards are even running at 80c and it's still fine as 115c is the threshold. When is the last time you clean your card? You need to clean it time to time as dust accumulates inside the heatsink fins and blocks the airflow and heat tranfer. It's also good to replace the old thermalpaste with a better one like Artic Silver 5. But if you want better cooling solution other than water cooling then check out Zalman and Arctic Cooling for VGA card cooler. They run quiter and cooler than stock but make sure you have the space for these coolers are huge.

His GPU is a 7600GT. They haven't been out long enough, for his to get

plugged up with dust, unless he lives in an autobody shop. :?

PS. I have a 6800GS, with stock fan@100%.You can see the clocks in my sig.

It idles @ 51C and Load @64C. I have pretty decent airflow in my case,

and an 80mm 34cfm fan blowing at it from the side. So your temps

aren't too bad. But if the fan's too noisy, you'll have to get something

better. GL :wink:

PS. Chuck is right about the Zalman, and Artic Cooling.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I just applied AS 5 to my 6800gt and the idle core temp dropped by 8C! the load temp has dropped by about 4C. Arctic Silver 5 will definitly help even if heat isn't that much of an issue.

I agree 100%. I use it exclusively, except AS3 on old low-power CPU's.

Like P2, Celly, Early P3. :?

AwsmGy

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
When I booted up today, I instantly ran a thermal check and it claimed it was already running at around 50c. I'm thinking my high readings may have to do with a combination of everest just not working correctly for me and just shitty stock cooling on my GPU. Do any of you know of another program besides everest to read temps?

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
i think its just your airflow ecspecially because it only goes up 6c degs from idle, try running the comp with the side off and see if you get better temps. Peace.

tRipLesEc

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
I was wondering 1Tanker how you installed the fan on the side of your computer (sorry for not staying on topic) as i have a sli rig and the second card gets hot and i would like to install one on the side so it will cool it better. I was wondering if you or anybody would know a site that has a tutorial on something like this. thank you for your time.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I was wondering 1Tanker how you installed the fan on the side of your computer (sorry for not staying on topic) as i have a sli rig and the second card gets hot and i would like to install one on the side so it will cool it better. I was wondering if you or anybody would know a site that has a tutorial on something like this. thank you for your time.
Well on my main rig, it has a window, with a fan mount for an 80mm fan. In some of my other cases, i cut a hole to the appropriate
size of the fan, drilled 4 holes for the mounting screws, and viola. I've also put homemade ducts(coke case) :wink: on the side fans, and they work really nice.

Here's a link that sort of shows some of the steps involved:

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/cases/InWin-S500_2.html

meganova

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2005
My 7600GTs running at 65oC while idlen and goes up to as hi as 73oC when playing 3D games. I dont see anything wrong at least from the screen, no flickering or strange distortion even after 4 hours of gameplay. So i think its okay. Some 7600GTs i heard are running as cool as 4x to 50oC in windows tho. You can always remove the side panel for a few degrees drop of temp. And i think were talking about temp seen in the driver tab.

margag_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2005
everest is a reliable product for temp monitoring. I would not put it in doubt.
But riva tuner and atitool have temp monitoring if you want to check it out.

btw your card is not hot ...