FSNav "Is a must", well is it?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 18, 2005 5:06:33 PM

Hi,

We often see posts listing the best add-ons available and the ones that
ought to be included.
I agree with FSUIPC and a few others are really "must-have", but why FSNav?

I mean, the support is patchy at the best of time, loading is not the best
in the west and the SID/STAR do not always seem to either be accurate or
even available.
Last year there were rumours that the development was stopped, and then it
appears to have re-started.

But more importantly why would it even be a "must-have" compared to the
likes of FSBuild, FSCommander, Courseplanner and so on?
What could I be missing?

Simon

More about : fsnav

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 5:06:34 PM

> But more importantly why would it even be a "must-have" compared to
> the likes of FSBuild, FSCommander, Courseplanner and so on?
> What could I be missing?
>
> Simon

Simon,
No-one is forcing you to use an add-on that you don't want.
Personally I never use sid/stars and have no idea what they are. But FS9
does not have a world map, which FSNav is, and so I move rapidly around the
world using FSNav, and have an immediate idea of where I am. Without it I am
lost. It works so easily with a mouse and mouse wheel, that I do not think I
could use FS9 in the way I wish to without it. Perfect for quilling you see?

--
Cheers
Quilly

Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
http://www.livtech.co.uk
August 18, 2005 5:25:53 PM

> Simon,
> No-one is forcing you to use an add-on that you don't want.

Of course not, I was only wondering why FSNav was always on top of the list.
Yes it is a nice Planner, but so are the others.

> Personally I never use sid/stars and have no idea what they are. But FS9
> does not have a world map, which FSNav is, and so I move rapidly around
> the world using FSNav, and have an immediate idea of where I am. Without
> it I am lost. It works so easily with a mouse and mouse wheel, that I do
> not think I could use FS9 in the way I wish to without it. Perfect for
> quilling you see?

My point exactly, wouldn't it be better, (when advising others), to say "A
flight planner is a must-have", rather than "FSNav is a must-have".

Like I said, I was merely wondering if I was missing something with FSNav
that made it such a cut above the others.

Simon
August 18, 2005 5:25:54 PM

You dont happen to work for a rival of FSNav do you or are you being
politically correct like man/women = persons!!

LOL

Ibby

"Simon" <spambucket@example.com> wrote in message

>> Simon,
>> No-one is forcing you to use an add-on that you don't want.
>
> Of course not, I was only wondering why FSNav was always on top of the
> list.
> Yes it is a nice Planner, but so are the others.
>
>> Personally I never use sid/stars and have no idea what they are. But FS9
>> does not have a world map, which FSNav is, and so I move rapidly around
>> the world using FSNav, and have an immediate idea of where I am. Without
>> it I am lost. It works so easily with a mouse and mouse wheel, that I do
>> not think I could use FS9 in the way I wish to without it. Perfect for
>> quilling you see?
>>

> My point exactly, wouldn't it be better, (when advising others), to say "A
> flight planner is a must-have", rather than "FSNav is a must-have".
>
> Like I said, I was merely wondering if I was missing something with FSNav
> that made it such a cut above the others.
>
> Simon

August 18, 2005 5:25:54 PM

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:25:53 +0100, "Simon" <spambucket@example.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>> Simon,
>> No-one is forcing you to use an add-on that you don't want.
>
>Of course not, I was only wondering why FSNav was always on top of the list.
>Yes it is a nice Planner, but so are the others.

Put it this way.. was over two years after doing the `trial period'
that I finally registered FSNav. Did you run the trial period? Not
sure about FS9.. but it was always a pain to find VOR and LOC
frequencies once in the air.. and that's one of the main pluses.

FSNav is also a precise measuring tool.. dragging the mouse from
one virtual node to another reads out bearing and distance. It does
lots of things well. You can ask (for instance) what radial and DME do
I want to change course.. or start descending? And those data can be
returned my `measuring' with the mouse. You can drop VOR freqs on the
radio readout fields. Sure there are better planners.. but with FSNav
you can quickly discover many advanced tricks that are highly useful.

Even with the SID/STARs.. click on the Rwy which STAR is defined and
then open Right window.. then simply right click on `another STAR'
into runway from different direction.. click `to flight plan' and
presto!! new STAR to runway appears!! Now that's a neat trick.

-Gregory

>> Personally I never use sid/stars and have no idea what they are. But FS9
>> does not have a world map, which FSNav is, and so I move rapidly around
>> the world using FSNav, and have an immediate idea of where I am. Without
>> it I am lost. It works so easily with a mouse and mouse wheel, that I do
>> not think I could use FS9 in the way I wish to without it. Perfect for
>> quilling you see?
>>

>My point exactly, wouldn't it be better, (when advising others), to say "A
>flight planner is a must-have", rather than "FSNav is a must-have".

It's more than a FP.. it's a NavAid Reference, precise flight tool,
and FMS. Even has control buttons to integrate into your panel.

http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/FSNav_crtls.gif (37k)

Since the image above was taken.. the Mode1/Mode2 button has
been moved to the bottom (of the stack) and the rest shifted up. KK
Indicator above reads out the ever-changing HDG hold that FSNav
has determined.

-Gregory

>Like I said, I was merely wondering if I was missing something with FSNav
>that made it such a cut above the others.
>
>Simon

August 18, 2005 6:06:40 PM

.. But FS9
> does not have a world map, which FSNav is, and so I move rapidly around
> the world using FSNav, and have an immediate idea of where I am. Without
> it I am lost. >

FS moving map will let you do that for free !! and use the kneeboard which
is smaller and easier displayed. Just an observation, I am not knocking
fsnav.

Steve
August 18, 2005 6:11:19 PM

> You dont happen to work for a rival of FSNav do you or are you being
> politically correct like man/women = persons!!
>
> LOL
>
> Ibby

:)  Well neither really, i was only looking at the thread "Flight Simulator
Essential add-ons", and i descided to have a look at FSNav again.

But my point was more that FSUIPC is a must-have because of what it does.

But when it comes to Planes, Scenery or Flight planners, some can hardly be
called 'must have'.

Again, i was only asking what i could be missing with FSNav.

Simon
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 6:19:49 PM

> FS moving map will let you do that for free !! and use the kneeboard
> which is smaller and easier displayed. Just an observation, I am not
> knocking fsnav.
>
> Steve

Well, I am knocking the FS moving map! I so looked forward to it when FS9
came out and it turns out to be a titchy little 4 inch square which is
unexpandable. At least I can get FSNav spread across three screens, or to
fill a fourth screen using MaxiVista.
When the 'map' was advertised in the sim, I was hoping for something like a
link to Encarta which, as another MS product, you would think possible.

--
Quilljar

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Photos 1952-60

http://client.webshots.com/album/204003612QQUuDJ
August 18, 2005 8:51:27 PM

Are we talking about two different things here ? . I was referring to the
moving map download on avsim by Rana Hossain, which goes in to the
kneeboard. Are you saying that a moving map ships with FS9 - cos I didn't
know ?

Cheers
Steve

news:D e25e5$c0j$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>> FS moving map will let you do that for free !! and use the kneeboard
>> which is smaller and easier displayed. Just an observation, I am not
>> knocking fsnav.
>>
>> Steve
>
> Well, I am knocking the FS moving map! I so looked forward to it when FS9
> came out and it turns out to be a titchy little 4 inch square which is
> unexpandable. At least I can get FSNav spread across three screens, or to
> fill a fourth screen using MaxiVista.
> When the 'map' was advertised in the sim, I was hoping for something like
> a link to Encarta which, as another MS product, you would think possible.
>

> --
> Quilljar
>
> Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Photos 1952-60
>
> http://client.webshots.com/album/204003612QQUuDJ

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 12:34:29 AM

No, I am referring to the only map that comes with the planning system in
FS. I find it too small to be useful

--

"stevej" <nopam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Are we talking about two different things here ? . I was referring to the
> moving map download on avsim by Rana Hossain, which goes in to the
> kneeboard. Are you saying that a moving map ships with FS9 - cos I didn't
> know ?
>
> Cheers
> Steve
>
> "Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D e25e5$c0j$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>>> FS moving map will let you do that for free !! and use the kneeboard
>>> which is smaller and easier displayed. Just an observation, I am not
>>> knocking fsnav.
>>>
>>> Steve
>>
>> Well, I am knocking the FS moving map! I so looked forward to it when FS9
>> came out and it turns out to be a titchy little 4 inch square which is
>> unexpandable. At least I can get FSNav spread across three screens, or to
>> fill a fourth screen using MaxiVista.
>> When the 'map' was advertised in the sim, I was hoping for something like
>> a link to Encarta which, as another MS product, you would think possible.
>>

>> --
>> Quilljar
>>
>> Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Photos 1952-60
>>
>> http://client.webshots.com/album/204003612QQUuDJ

August 19, 2005 2:06:18 AM

"Simon"
> I agree with FSUIPC and a few others are really "must-have", but why
FSNav?

Simply put... it's the best one of the whole bunch.

I've been in the software business my entire life and as a piece of
software, it is perhaps the most well thought out and intuitive creations
I've ever seen. When I say that, I mean not just FS software... I mean all
the software in the world. It's a masterpiece of code writing and software
design.

Dallas
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 12:18:57 PM

Dallas wrote:
> "Simon"
>> I agree with FSUIPC and a few others are really "must-have", but why
>> FSNav?
>
> Simply put... it's the best one of the whole bunch.
>
> I've been in the software business my entire life and as a piece of
> software, it is perhaps the most well thought out and intuitive
> creations I've ever seen. When I say that, I mean not just FS
> software... I mean all the software in the world. It's a
> masterpiece of code writing and software design.
>
> Dallas

You think it's OK then Dally?
--
Quilljar

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Photos 1952-60

http://client.webshots.com/album/204003612QQUuDJ
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 12:47:06 PM

Hi Quilly,

Nice shots on your album mate! Didn't know you served in the Navy.
Remember I used to want to join the navy when I was at school. That desire
was increased 10 fold when 'Topgun' came out in 1986. Good on you. I feel
rather jealous.

Ibby

news:D e44lh$a7k$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Dallas wrote:
>> "Simon"
>>> I agree with FSUIPC and a few others are really "must-have", but why
>>> FSNav?
>>
>> Simply put... it's the best one of the whole bunch.
>>
>> I've been in the software business my entire life and as a piece of
>> software, it is perhaps the most well thought out and intuitive
>> creations I've ever seen. When I say that, I mean not just FS
>> software... I mean all the software in the world. It's a
>> masterpiece of code writing and software design.
>>
>> Dallas
>

> You think it's OK then Dally?
> --
> Quilljar
>
> Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Photos 1952-60
>
> http://client.webshots.com/album/204003612QQUuDJ

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 12:49:54 PM

Hi Ibby

Yes I always wanted to be a Midshiman and to be a pilot. I had to settle for
a Midshipman and an Observer in the end, but I was lucky I reckon. I
eventally became a pilot age 65 !

Quilljar

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Photos 1952-60

http://client.webshots.com/album/204003612QQUuDJ
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 1:23:31 PM

Quilly,

I have just set-up an account with webshots which I plan to use next month
as I'm going to the Northern Ireland Air Spectacular this year which runs
3rd/4th Sept. Its celebrating the 60th anniversary of VE day and will be a
collection of vintage planes and some modern ones. Hope to get some
pictures of event. Also hoping to blag a ticket from my boss to the VIP
launch the day before as we have invites due to our company sponsoring a
Gazelle helicopter for the event - wish me luck!!

Ibby

news:D e46fi$esc$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

> Hi Ibby
>
> Yes I always wanted to be a Midshiman and to be a pilot. I had to settle
> for a Midshipman and an Observer in the end, but I was lucky I reckon. I
> eventally became a pilot age 65 !
>
> Quilljar
>
> Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Photos 1952-60
>
> http://client.webshots.com/album/204003612QQUuDJ

September 16, 2005 4:23:50 PM

>> You dont happen to work for a rival of FSNav do you or are you being
>> politically correct like man/women = persons!!
>>
>> LOL
>>
>> Ibby
>>

> :)  Well neither really, i was only looking at the thread "Flight Simulator
> Essential add-ons", and i descided to have a look at FSNav again.
>
> But my point was more that FSUIPC is a must-have because of what it does.

What exactly DOES FSUIPC do? I have it, but have no idea what it does.
Chris
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 4:23:51 PM

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:23:50 +1000, Chris wrote:

> What exactly DOES FSUIPC do? I have it, but have no idea what it does.

Well, it comes with a ~50 page manual. Perhaps a read is in order? ;)

Bill
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 4:23:51 PM

"Chris" <here@there.com.za> wrote:

>What exactly DOES FSUIPC do? I have it, but have no idea what it does.
>Chris

Aside from allowing you to tweak many more options than you can with
the basic fs9 settings and options windows it also allows addon
programs to access fs9 internal data.

As an example, some addon planes come with a radar display which
shows all AI traffic within up to 40 miles of your lcation. That data
needs to be passed from fs9 to the radar addon of the plane. FSUIPC
acts as an interface for it.

That's just the beginning, but you get the drift ;-)

-=tom=-
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 4:25:45 PM

"Chris" <here@there.com.za> wrote:

>What exactly DOES FSUIPC do? I have it, but have no idea what it does.
>Chris

BTW - I think FSUIPC, and that's only my guess, stands for something
like Flight Sim User Interface for the PC.

Just a guess ...

-=tom=-
September 16, 2005 4:31:21 PM

news:D e1u4v$n3u$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Personally I never use sid/stars and have no idea what they are. But FS9
> does not have a world map, which FSNav is, and so I move rapidly around
> the world using FSNav, and have an immediate idea of where I am. Without
> it I am lost. It works so easily with a mouse and mouse wheel, that I do
> not think I could use FS9 in the way I wish to without it. Perfect for
> quilling you see?

I agree entirely that the world map in FSNav is a dream come true. I only
got the program a couple of weeks ago, and use it to set my flight plans, as
I find the flight plans FS9 creates are not detailed enough for use with
VATSIM flights. I didn't know what SIDS and STARS were either Quilljar, I
have since discovered that they are essentially like virtual freeways in the
sky that an aircraft can 'follow'. If you program them in FSNav, your plane
will follow them automatically. I guess you could describe them as preferred
routes for ATC. They will automatically bring you to the ILS localiser
without needing vectors from ATC, and I believe the A/C will automatically
intercept the localiser and glideslop when set with FSNav. I flew one the
first time 2 days ago, and I basically just had to take off, engage the
flight plan, sit back and watch all the pretty scenery, then grab the stick
on final approach for landing.
Chris
September 16, 2005 10:13:17 PM

> "Chris"
>What exactly DOES FSUIPC do? I have it, but have no idea what it does.

No one really knows for sure.

There have been several scientific studies to determine what effects FSUIPC
has on computers as compared to a control group. The results, while
interesting, have not been conclusive.

The US government plans to fund a comprehensive study early next year and
there are rumors that France will also begin a pilot study to investigate
whether or not FSUIPC actually has any use at all.

Until then we can only assume that it must have some use as it seems to have
found its way on to most flight simmer's computers.

Dallas
September 16, 2005 11:05:06 PM

>>What exactly DOES FSUIPC do? I have it, but have no idea what it does.
>>Chris
>>
> BTW - I think FSUIPC, and that's only my guess, stands for something
> like Flight Sim User Interface for the PC.
>
> Just a guess ...

Close, IPC is the name of one of many ways to allow applications to talk to
each others, it stands for InterProcess Communication.
FS has an entry point allowing applications to have an InterProcess
communication.

The "FSU" stands for Flight Simulator Universal ....InterProcess
Communication

Simon
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 11:05:07 PM

"Simon" <spambucket@example.com> wrote:

>>>What exactly DOES FSUIPC do? I have it, but have no idea what it does.
>>>Chris
>>>
>> BTW - I think FSUIPC, and that's only my guess, stands for something
>> like Flight Sim User Interface for the PC.
>>
>> Just a guess ...
>>

>Close, IPC is the name of one of many ways to allow applications to talk to
>each others, it stands for InterProcess Communication.
>FS has an entry point allowing applications to have an InterProcess
>communication.
>
>The "FSU" stands for Flight Simulator Universal ....InterProcess
>Communication

Simon,

What do you mean "close"? ;-)
I missed by a mile - but I learned in the process.
.... and that's what this ng is all about!

Thanks,

-=tom=-
September 17, 2005 12:29:38 PM

Dallas wrote:
>>"Chris"
>
> >What exactly DOES FSUIPC do? I have it, but have no idea what it does.
>

> No one really knows for sure.
>
> There have been several scientific studies to determine what effects FSUIPC
> has on computers as compared to a control group. The results, while
> interesting, have not been conclusive.
>
> The US government plans to fund a comprehensive study early next year and
> there are rumors that France will also begin a pilot study to investigate
> whether or not FSUIPC actually has any use at all.
>
> Until then we can only assume that it must have some use as it seems to have
> found its way on to most flight simmer's computers.
>

> Dallas

Now thats funny !!!! All this just goes to prove my contention that if
one is gonna' get the most out of FS200# he/she needs to have a far
deeper understanding of a PC ( in it's various forms ) then the average
user.

I don't mean to demean anyones knowledge in this area but if not for
FSUIPC a whole bunch of FS200# add-ons would be just hunks of useless
code !!!!! So for the curious and directly from the FSUIPC Documentation

Introduction: what is FSUIPC?

FSUIPC is effectively a successor to FS6IPC.dll. Both modules are
designed to allow external (i.e. separate) programs to communicate with
and perhaps control Microsoft Flight Simulator. It seems some folks are
rather confused about what this means, so I should emphasise here that
Flight Simulator Panels (including their Gauges), Aircraft, Scenery and
other graphics, and pretty much everything else within Flight Simulator,
are mostly NOT correctable or influenced in any way by FSUIPC. Apart
from some assistance in providing weather data to adventures
(pre-FS2004), making adjustments in the weather itself, providing A.I.
Traffic data and enabling better access to some engine variables for
some Gauges, FSUIPC can only help external applications talk to FS,
nothing more.
Some FS applications that may seem to be separate applications are, in
fact, not: FSNav, WidevieW, FSAssist and FSTraffic are examples of
applications for FS that are ‘added-in’ rather than ‘added-on’ and do
not use the external FS6IPC interface.
FSUIPC.dll is a module for FS98, FS2000, FS2002 or FS2004, and it should
be placed into the ‘Modules’ folder—see the Installation section below.
Whilst its prime job is simply to do for FS2000, FS2002 and FS2004
exactly the same sort of work that FS6IPC.dll did for FS98, it also
attempts to provide a compatible FS98 interface for these more recent
versions so that applications written for FS98 will work with all of
them. The prime aim has been forward compatibility throughout.
FSUIPC will also work within some versions of Microsoft Combat Flight
Simulator. With CFS2 it provides access to many of the things that
programs enjoy on FS, including full weather control. However, it should
be noted that CFS2 is not the main target, and support for 100% of the
features is certainly not guaranteed. With the original Combat Flight
Simulator (“CFS1”) the features are much more restricted: for instance
there are no operating weather facilities in FSUIPC for CFS1. FSUIPC
will not work with CFS3. There is no place for add-in programs at all in
CFS3.
Whilst FSUIPC can be used in FS98 in place of FS6IPC, for most users
there is no particular benefit in doing so. WideFS users will want to,
as will any users of those more recent applications that specifically
depend on FSUIPC rather than FS6IPC. Also, application developers may
wish to use the IPC logging facilities, which are still provided in FS98.

JImBob
"Master of the Sr. Moment"
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 1:40:03 PM

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:25:45 -0400, Tom Orle wrote:
> BTW - I think FSUIPC, and that's only my guess, stands for something
> like Flight Sim User Interface for the PC.
>
> Just a guess ...

Oh, so close!

Flight Simulator Universal Inter-Process Communications... from the FSUIPC
SDK... ;)

Bill
!