Apple LaserWriter 12/640 PS dead??

Hi all,

I was given a used Apple LaserWriter 12/640 which I have been using
for about six months. I saw that the memory was upgradable, so I went
in. This printer has a 4mb simm which I removed and replaced with 2
8mb simms. The printer wouldn't work! So I removed the memory and
replaced with original, still nothing. It powers up, the lights come
on and go off in sequence like they did before, but then the ready
light goes off and doesn't come back on. I've been building computers
for about 15 years now, but haven't delt much with printers. Anyone
have any ideas of where I should start looking for the problem....?

InstantWill...almost as good as fresh brewed....

DaveC

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 19:45:38 -0800, InstantWill wrote
(in article <4suk215jbi4k3h7icq4l73p6pijarie24a@4ax.com>):

> This printer has a 4mb simm which I removed and replaced with 2
> 8mb simms.

Were the replacement SIMMs of correct spec? Were they ordered for that
printer? These SIMMs are not the same spec as ones for computers, IIRC, and
are therefore not interchangeable.

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 00:32:05 -0800, DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 19:45:38 -0800, InstantWill wrote
>(in article <4suk215jbi4k3h7icq4l73p6pijarie24a@4ax.com>):
>
>> This printer has a 4mb simm which I removed and replaced with 2
>> 8mb simms.
>
>Were the replacement SIMMs of correct spec? Were they ordered for that
>printer? These SIMMs are not the same spec as ones for computers, IIRC, and
>are therefore not interchangeable.

Uh, that's a good question, do you think I damaged the motherboard by
putting the wrong one's in there. I just saw 72 pin simm, and stuck em
in there.....

InstantWill...almost as good as fresh brewed....

DaveC

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:42:44 -0800, InstantWill wrote
(in article <8m0q215kvsgj8s75g89tushfihrfq5fs4r@4ax.com>):

> Uh, that's a good question, do you think I damaged the motherboard by
> putting the wrong one's in there. I just saw 72 pin simm, and stuck em
> in there.....

Yes, that would be my guess.

FWIW, I did the same thing on a computer motherboard, long ago. "Hmm, let's
see. 72-pin SIMM socket... 72-pin SIMM... plug it in. Hmm, a bit of a tight
fit." End result wasn't good.

Good luck,