32GB Nexus 7 Tablet Already on Store Shelves

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i wish oems would market storage space with actual available storage instead of making people think their getting more than whats available. for example 27.6gb on this rumored tablet =/= 32gb promised.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]i wish oems would market storage space with actual available storage instead of making people think their getting more than whats available. for example 27.6gb on this rumored tablet =/= 32gb promised.[/citation]

So they should also do the same in the PC industry. Instead of saying a machine has 4 GB of memory they should call if by how much memory is free after the OS is loaded. Or same for HD. That's not a 500 GB hard drive, it's a 475 GB drive (Windows takes 20-25 GB on average).

Your logic is flawed.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
no, read the article please. it clearly says the rumored tablet has 27.6gb of storage and 26.6 available for use.

as for the pc industry, its also screwed up. I bought a laptop with supposedly 500gb of storage and t came with a 450gb HDD-20-25gb of os space, so it actually had 430gb of space, not the promised 500gb.

my point is that im getting tired of oems false marketing tactics with storage.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
I have the 16 Gb model. For normal use is enough, but for 720p movies or series it gets small fast. If the 32 Gb model was available at launch, i would have picked it up.

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]no, read the article please. it clearly says the rumored tablet has 27.6gb of storage and 26.6 available for use. as for the pc industry, its also screwed up. I bought a laptop with supposedly 500gb of storage and t came with a 450gb HDD-20-25gb of os space, so it actually had 430gb of space, not the promised 500gb.my point is that im getting tired of oems false marketing tactics with storage.[/citation] ummm ever heard of recovery partitions on a computer?

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]chewy1963[/nom]So they should also do the same in the PC industry. Instead of saying a machine has 4 GB of memory they should call if by how much memory is free after the OS is loaded. Or same for HD. That's not a 500 GB hard drive, it's a 475 GB drive (Windows takes 20-25 GB on average).Your logic is flawed.[/citation]Both your logic is flawed. When a vendor gives you 4GB of RAM what you or the OS does with it is irrelevant. You have 4GB of RAM. What you both should be offended by is the industry change of quantifiying 1MB or RAM or storage as 1000 and not the true 1024 value. One GB is and should be 1024MB. The more GB you have the more you get screwed out of space and it adds up.

G

Your logic is flawed.

Which model will sell more: Nexus 7 32GB or Nexus 7 ~28GB

twztechman

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I got a Nexus 7 with 16 Gb about a month ago to see how it compared with the wife's Ipad 2 and to see how I liked the andriod OS. So far i am a bit disappointed. No Flash (which I though was a selling point for andriod OS) and half the apps I want to use from the Play Store are "Not compatible with this device". I did download some movies and books (they work great), I really like the Music Manager software, and it is fine for surfing (as long as I don't hit a page with flash). But, so far, the experience, especially with usable apps, is not nearly as good or smooth as the IPAD.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]twztechman[/nom]I got a Nexus 7 with 16 Gb about a month ago to see how it compared with the wife's Ipad 2 and to see how I liked the andriod OS. So far i am a bit disappointed. No Flash (which I though was a selling point for andriod OS) and half the apps I want to use from the Play Store are "Not compatible with this device". I did download some movies and books (they work great), I really like the Music Manager software, and it is fine for surfing (as long as I don't hit a page with flash). But, so far, the experience, especially with usable apps, is not nearly as good or smooth as the IPAD.[/citation]
downgrading to ICS would solve the lack of flash

[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]Both your logic is flawed. When a vendor gives you 4GB of RAM what you or the OS does with it is irrelevant. You have 4GB of RAM. What you both should be offended by is the industry change of quantifiying 1MB or RAM or storage as 1000 and not the true 1024 value. One GB is and should be 1024MB. The more GB you have the more you get screwed out of space and it adds up.[/citation]

A KB is by definition, 1000 bytes, but because of use of binary, it takes 10 bits to reach 1000, and it can calculate to 1024. A MB = 1048 KB's. Anyways, for specific measurements, we round up to the nearest power of 2. However, with large storage, it's too confusing to do so and much simpler to stick with the metric system.

edgewood112358

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
[citation][nom]twztechman[/nom]I got a Nexus 7 with 16 Gb about a month ago to see how it compared with the wife's Ipad 2 and to see how I liked the andriod OS. So far i am a bit disappointed. No Flash (which I though was a selling point for andriod OS) and half the apps I want to use from the Play Store are "Not compatible with this device". I did download some movies and books (they work great), I really like the Music Manager software, and it is fine for surfing (as long as I don't hit a page with flash). But, so far, the experience, especially with usable apps, is not nearly as good or smooth as the IPAD.[/citation]

If you really want flash capabilities you can manually download and install the apk. It's pretty easy to do, and works quite well. I can actually play games on addictinggames with my nexus 7 (normally they don't work very well though, being designed for a desktop/laptop). More realistically, it lets you view pages with flash content or watch videos online.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1774336

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
[citation][nom]chewy1963[/nom]So they should also do the same in the PC industry. Instead of saying a machine has 4 GB of memory they should call if by how much memory is free after the OS is loaded.[/citation]

How much free memory after the OS had loaded depends on what operating system (and in the case of Linux, Window Mananger/desktop) you are using and what programmes you have on the computer. A certain Windows 7 installation might use up 512mb, another might use 1GB because different Windows 7 features are enabled. When you consider that Windows XP and Windows 8 are lighter...

You can't possibly know what capacity your RAM will be then.

Your logic is flawed.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]Both your logic is flawed. When a vendor gives you 4GB of RAM what you or the OS does with it is irrelevant. You have 4GB of RAM. What you both should be offended by is the industry change of quantifiying 1MB or RAM or storage as 1000 and not the true 1024 value. One GB is and should be 1024MB. The more GB you have the more you get screwed out of space and it adds up.[/citation]
Actually it was the industry that changed the prefixes value in the first place. In the SI system 1 kB always equaled 1000 B. It was the memory industry that changed this for convenience. It's a lot easier to say you have a 1 kB memory than 1,024 kB memory, but the SI system never acknowledged that annotation. So in 99 the IEC created the Ki, Mi,... prefixes, so that 1 KiB = 1024 B. Unfortunately a lot of people in the industry still refuses to use the correct prefix, specially memory manufacturers. This isn't helped by the fact that Windows, Mac, Android, iOS also use the wrong prefix, and this generates confusion. People buy a 3 TB HDD just to get home and have the OS state that they only have 2,73 TB, 9,1% less that what was advertised, when it's the OS that's giving the user the wrong number. This also happens in memory cards, internal storage,... This is why you buy a 32 GB SD card and Android reports it as 29,8 GB.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
The memory issues.... about how much is sucked up before you even use the device.

So an Android 4.1 device eats about 4.5GB of space... compare that to WindowsRT tablets that eat 12GB of memory storage! I don't think they'll even be making a 16GB version...

law shay

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]i wish oems would market storage space with actual available storage instead of making people think their getting more than whats available. for example 27.6gb on this rumored tablet =/= 32gb promised.[/citation]
In computer science, (software world) a kilo is not 1,000 but 1024 (2 multiplied 10 times). A mega is not a million but 1024 x 1024 and a Giga is not a billion but 1024 x 1024 x 1024. What you see in setting (storage left) is measured using this unit.

Storage device manufacturers use a standard thousand, million, billion measures as their hardware specs. Therefore, on the box you see 32 GB (1GB = 1 billion byte).

In the interface, you see the same 1 billion byte divided by computer science GB (1GB = 1024 x 1024 x 1024). Therefore, you get 27 something GB.

No big deal. They don't cheat. They write it on the box that it has 32 billion bytes and you get all of them.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]law shay[/nom]In computer science, (software world) a kilo is not 1,000 but 1024 (2 multiplied 10 times). A mega is not a million but 1024 x 1024 and a Giga is not a billion but 1024 x 1024 x 1024. What you see in setting (storage left) is measured using this unit.Storage device manufacturers use a standard thousand, million, billion measures as their hardware specs. Therefore, on the box you see 32 GB (1GB = 1 billion byte).In the interface, you see the same 1 billion byte divided by computer science GB (1GB = 1024 x 1024 x 1024). Therefore, you get 27 something GB. No big deal. They don't cheat. They write it on the box that it has 32 billion bytes and you get all of them.[/citation]
Since 99 that 1 kB stopped meaning 1024 b in computer science. This is why the IEC created the kiB, MiB,...

Why do the tablet makers keep jerking us around with the internal storage?
They could have an SD card slot that will take 32GB (or more with SDXC) of storage and people could upgrade the memory as needed. Instead they charge hundreds more for memory that is worth very little.

ven1ger

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]For those complaining about the available disk space vs advertised disk space, read this and shut up.This has been standard practice in computing for a long time, this is nothing new.[/citation]

Exactly, and considering this is a tech site, if you don't even know the difference then you're on the wrong site to begin with. Pretty soon we're going to start complaining about screens and how they're not exactly as advertised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS