The Odd Little Jerk

No I'm not talking about you guys <g> (not even Amangill or whoever!) but
something that seems to be an inescapable part of my FS9 experience. I have
what I think is a reasonable system for FS9. Not high end but I would have
thought adequate. It comprises:-

Gigabyte K8 Triton board with 800MHz FSB and AMD Athlon64 3000+ CPU
1Gb of PC3200 DDR RAM
Geforce 6600GT with 128Mb RAM

I have the frame rate locked at 30. I have done all the FS9.cfg tweaks I can
find and I use FSAutostart to kill running progs. I must admit that I have
most sliders at max, including scenery complexity and autogen and I run Ult
Traffic at 100% (I like busy airports). Most of the time the frame rate is
up in the high twenties if not staying at 29.9, except at busy airports
where it will drop to 13 to 18. The problem is intermittent jerking when the
scene is moving across the screen such as in a banked turn or, particularly,
when turning at the end of a runway even when not at a graphically demanding
location.

Am I alone in experiencing this? I ask because the impression I get from
reading all the posts is that most people with equivalent systems get 100%
fluid motion with no jerking at all. I'd welcome any comments or suggestions
you may have. Thanks. :0))

Iain
26 answers Last reply
More about jerk

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:20:15 +0000 (UTC), "Iain Smith"
    <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >No I'm not talking about you guys <g> (not even Amangill or whoever!) but
    >something that seems to be an inescapable part of my FS9 experience. I have
    >what I think is a reasonable system for FS9. Not high end but I would have
    >thought adequate. It comprises:-
    >
    >Gigabyte K8 Triton board with 800MHz FSB and AMD Athlon64 3000+ CPU
    >1Gb of PC3200 DDR RAM
    >Geforce 6600GT with 128Mb RAM
    >
    >I have the frame rate locked at 30. I have done all the FS9.cfg tweaks I can
    >find and I use FSAutostart to kill running progs. I must admit that I have
    >most sliders at max, including scenery complexity and autogen and I run Ult
    >Traffic at 100% (I like busy airports). Most of the time the frame rate is
    >up in the high twenties if not staying at 29.9, except at busy airports
    >where it will drop to 13 to 18. The problem is intermittent jerking when the
    >scene is moving across the screen such as in a banked turn or, particularly,
    >when turning at the end of a runway even when not at a graphically demanding
    >location.
    >
    >Am I alone in experiencing this? I ask because the impression I get from
    >reading all the posts is that most people with equivalent systems get 100%
    >fluid motion with no jerking at all. I'd welcome any comments or suggestions
    >you may have. Thanks. :0))
    >
    >Iain

    Wow... when in doubt.. throw hardware at it. :)

    Don't get the wrong message.. I'd love to have a new high-end system.
    It might boil down to making some basic trade-offs. That is giving up
    (or reducing density of) some features in exchange for extra FPS.

    So then.. you now have enabled complex/multi-layer moving weather,
    detailed/hi-res ground terrain, large MDL with 32-bit textures and
    clickable VC, high-density ground features like trees, buildings and
    bridges.. plus mega-AI traffic. Ok so lower some of them already!!

    cheers..

    -g

    Do you have Airport Environment 7 installed? I had it and screen jerked
    near airports. I removed addon runway textures and aprons and just used the
    buildings out of the installer and it seemed to help. Dont like the runways
    or aprons in AE7 as yellow lines etc look too clean and 'cartoony' looking.

    Ibby

    "Iain Smith" <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > No I'm not talking about you guys <g> (not even Amangill or whoever!) but
    > something that seems to be an inescapable part of my FS9 experience. I
    > have what I think is a reasonable system for FS9. Not high end but I would
    > have thought adequate. It comprises:-
    >
    > Gigabyte K8 Triton board with 800MHz FSB and AMD Athlon64 3000+ CPU
    > 1Gb of PC3200 DDR RAM
    > Geforce 6600GT with 128Mb RAM
    >
    > I have the frame rate locked at 30. I have done all the FS9.cfg tweaks I
    > can find and I use FSAutostart to kill running progs. I must admit that I
    > have most sliders at max, including scenery complexity and autogen and I
    > run Ult Traffic at 100% (I like busy airports). Most of the time the frame
    > rate is up in the high twenties if not staying at 29.9, except at busy
    > airports where it will drop to 13 to 18. The problem is intermittent
    > jerking when the scene is moving across the screen such as in a banked
    > turn or, particularly, when turning at the end of a runway even when not
    > at a graphically demanding location.
    >
    > Am I alone in experiencing this? I ask because the impression I get from
    > reading all the posts is that most people with equivalent systems get 100%
    > fluid motion with no jerking at all. I'd welcome any comments or
    > suggestions you may have. Thanks. :0))
    >
    > Iain

    PS. Are you gonna stick with this group for a while longer Iain. Hate to
    lose members.

    Ibby

    Do you have Airport Environment 7 installed? I had it and screen jerked
    near airports. I removed addon runway textures and aprons and just used the
    buildings out of the installer and it seemed to help. Dont like the runways
    or aprons in AE7 as yellow lines etc look too clean and 'cartoony' looking.

    Ibby

    "Iain Smith" <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > No I'm not talking about you guys <g> (not even Amangill or whoever!) but
    > something that seems to be an inescapable part of my FS9 experience. I
    > have what I think is a reasonable system for FS9. Not high end but I would
    > have thought adequate. It comprises:-
    >
    > Gigabyte K8 Triton board with 800MHz FSB and AMD Athlon64 3000+ CPU
    > 1Gb of PC3200 DDR RAM
    > Geforce 6600GT with 128Mb RAM
    >
    > I have the frame rate locked at 30. I have done all the FS9.cfg tweaks I
    > can find and I use FSAutostart to kill running progs. I must admit that I
    > have most sliders at max, including scenery complexity and autogen and I
    > run Ult Traffic at 100% (I like busy airports). Most of the time the frame
    > rate is up in the high twenties if not staying at 29.9, except at busy
    > airports where it will drop to 13 to 18. The problem is intermittent
    > jerking when the scene is moving across the screen such as in a banked
    > turn or, particularly, when turning at the end of a runway even when not
    > at a graphically demanding location.
    >
    > Am I alone in experiencing this? I ask because the impression I get from
    > reading all the posts is that most people with equivalent systems get 100%
    > fluid motion with no jerking at all. I'd welcome any comments or
    > suggestions you may have. Thanks. :0))
    >
    > Iain

    Hi Iain

    Do you hear the hard drive spin up when it jerks and or does the hdd light
    come on?. If so your system is having to write to the pagefile (swapfile)
    and then return the seek head to where it was, this causes a small
    operational delay.

    I have tried all sorts of swap file settings to try to reduce this such as
    fixed swap etc, and not found a solution. You could try having a look at
    your disk fragmentation to see if the pagefile is fragmented and if so
    unfragment it.

    Another solution might be to put the pagefile on another physical drive, if
    you have a spare one.

    Steve

    "Iain Smith" <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > No I'm not talking about you guys <g> (not even Amangill or whoever!) but
    > something that seems to be an inescapable part of my FS9 experience. I
    > have what I think is a reasonable system for FS9. Not high end but I would
    > have thought adequate. It comprises:-
    >
    > Gigabyte K8 Triton board with 800MHz FSB and AMD Athlon64 3000+ CPU
    > 1Gb of PC3200 DDR RAM
    > Geforce 6600GT with 128Mb RAM
    >
    > I have the frame rate locked at 30. I have done all the FS9.cfg tweaks I
    > can find and I use FSAutostart to kill running progs. I must admit that I
    > have most sliders at max, including scenery complexity and autogen and I
    > run Ult Traffic at 100% (I like busy airports). Most of the time the frame
    > rate is up in the high twenties if not staying at 29.9, except at busy
    > airports where it will drop to 13 to 18. The problem is intermittent
    > jerking when the scene is moving across the screen such as in a banked
    > turn or, particularly, when turning at the end of a runway even when not
    > at a graphically demanding location.
    >
    > Am I alone in experiencing this? I ask because the impression I get from
    > reading all the posts is that most people with equivalent systems get 100%
    > fluid motion with no jerking at all. I'd welcome any comments or
    > suggestions you may have. Thanks. :0))
    >
    > Iain

    Same here with a Pentium IV 3.6 GHz, 1 Gb DDR Ram and Radeon X600 PRO with
    256 Mb. As Steve suggested I'm pretty sure that it is a swapfile issue. It
    usually happens when approaching a high density scenery. Flying around in
    that scenery thereafter has not the same negative impact anymore (except
    from framerates coming down a bit depending on the complexity of the
    scenery). I wonder whether expanding RAM to 2 Gb would help. Maybe some of
    the hardware gurus here may also know how to tweak around with XP
    settings.....
    --
    Oskar Wagner
    (retired Captain)

    Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes....

    "Iain Smith" <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > No I'm not talking about you guys <g> (not even Amangill or whoever!) but
    > something that seems to be an inescapable part of my FS9 experience. I
    > have what I think is a reasonable system for FS9. Not high end but I would
    > have thought adequate. It comprises:-
    >
    > Gigabyte K8 Triton board with 800MHz FSB and AMD Athlon64 3000+ CPU
    > 1Gb of PC3200 DDR RAM
    > Geforce 6600GT with 128Mb RAM
    >
    > I have the frame rate locked at 30. I have done all the FS9.cfg tweaks I
    > can find and I use FSAutostart to kill running progs. I must admit that I
    > have most sliders at max, including scenery complexity and autogen and I
    > run Ult Traffic at 100% (I like busy airports). Most of the time the frame
    > rate is up in the high twenties if not staying at 29.9, except at busy
    > airports where it will drop to 13 to 18. The problem is intermittent
    > jerking when the scene is moving across the screen such as in a banked
    > turn or, particularly, when turning at the end of a runway even when not
    > at a graphically demanding location.
    >
    > Am I alone in experiencing this? I ask because the impression I get from
    > reading all the posts is that most people with equivalent systems get 100%
    > fluid motion with no jerking at all. I'd welcome any comments or
    > suggestions you may have. Thanks. :0))
    >
    > Iain

    Hi Oskar

    I hope you got your crashes sorted, I mean pc crashes of course not air
    crashes ;-)

    More RAM would seem logical, though I don't think it will help. If you go to
    windows task manager/performance, take a look at the commit charge peak, you
    will see that you are not even using 1Gb, therefore more memory would not
    help. Why windows goes putting stuff in the pagefile when some ram is left
    is (to me) a mystery. With a bit of luck Katy might be along soon.

    Best
    Steve
    ps- Thanks again for the landing profile info that you gave me some time
    ago. I do use it quite often. In fact I have a saved flight about 13nm from
    landing, file name 'oskar'

    "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
    > Same here with a Pentium IV 3.6 GHz, 1 Gb DDR Ram and Radeon X600 PRO with
    > 256 Mb. As Steve suggested I'm pretty sure that it is a swapfile issue. It
    > usually happens when approaching a high density scenery. Flying around in
    > that scenery thereafter has not the same negative impact anymore (except
    > from framerates coming down a bit depending on the complexity of the
    > scenery). I wonder whether expanding RAM to 2 Gb would help. Maybe some of
    > the hardware gurus here may also know how to tweak around with XP
    > settings.....
    > --
    > Oskar Wagner
    > (retired Captain)
    >
    > Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes....
    >
    > "Iain Smith" <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> No I'm not talking about you guys <g> (not even Amangill or whoever!) but
    >> something that seems to be an inescapable part of my FS9 experience. I
    >> have what I think is a reasonable system for FS9. Not high end but I
    >> would have thought adequate. It comprises:-
    >>
    >> Gigabyte K8 Triton board with 800MHz FSB and AMD Athlon64 3000+ CPU
    >> 1Gb of PC3200 DDR RAM
    >> Geforce 6600GT with 128Mb RAM
    >>
    >> I have the frame rate locked at 30. I have done all the FS9.cfg tweaks I
    >> can find and I use FSAutostart to kill running progs. I must admit that I
    >> have most sliders at max, including scenery complexity and autogen and I
    >> run Ult Traffic at 100% (I like busy airports). Most of the time the
    >> frame rate is up in the high twenties if not staying at 29.9, except at
    >> busy airports where it will drop to 13 to 18. The problem is intermittent
    >> jerking when the scene is moving across the screen such as in a banked
    >> turn or, particularly, when turning at the end of a runway even when not
    >> at a graphically demanding location.
    >>
    >> Am I alone in experiencing this? I ask because the impression I get from
    >> reading all the posts is that most people with equivalent systems get
    >> 100% fluid motion with no jerking at all. I'd welcome any comments or
    >> suggestions you may have. Thanks. :0))
    >>
    >> Iain

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:27:26 +0200, "Oskar Wagner"
    <rengaw@swissonline.ch> brought the following to our attention:

    >Same here with a Pentium IV 3.6 GHz, 1 Gb DDR Ram and Radeon X600 PRO
    >with 256 Mb. As Steve suggested I'm pretty sure that it is a swapfile issue. It
    >usually happens when approaching a high density scenery. Flying around in
    >that scenery thereafter has not the same negative impact anymore (except
    >from framerates coming down a bit depending on the complexity of the
    >scenery). I wonder whether expanding RAM to 2 Gb would help. Maybe some
    >of the hardware gurus here may also know how to tweak around with XP
    >settings.....

    are you sure it's exceeding the 1GB of physical RAM? could it simply
    be scenery files loading from disk as the flight approaches HDS (high
    density scenes)?

    one way to check is hit RUN and type TASKMGR. that will display CPU
    cycles (%) and memory usage for each task.. including FS.

    things would be pretty bad if the Sim was paging in a chronic way.

    -Gregory

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:20:15 +0000 (UTC), "Iain Smith"
    <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> brought the following to our
    attention:

    can I comment aGaiN? from a `lo-end-Joe' standpoint?

    >I have the frame rate locked at 30. I have done all the FS9.cfg tweaks I can
    >find and I use FSAutostart to kill running progs. I must admit that I have
    >most sliders at max, including scenery complexity and autogen and I run Ult
    >Traffic at 100% (I like busy airports).

    reading the post a 2nd time.. you may want to cut back on the sliders.

    >Most of the time the frame rate is up in the high twenties if not staying at 29.9
    >except at busy airports where it will drop to 13 to 18. The problem is intermittent
    >jerking when the scene is moving across the screen such as in a banked turn or,
    >particularly, when turning at the end of a runway even when not at a graphically
    >demanding location.

    also from above paragraph.. sometimes I must disable AI (to 0%)
    or else the take-off roll will studded a couple or three times.
    Occasionally there will be a `jerk' or a slight hiccup when in active
    Cam mode and the flight is cruising by. This often happens just prior
    to ATC calling an AI flight. So the jerkiness correlates to AI traffic
    processing in the low-end system case. Normal Ops here: takeoff with
    AI = 0% and raise it to 25% after reaching 250kts. Don't recall any
    `jerks' with AI disabled on TO roll.

    BTW.. my platform does 13-18 fps all the time.. it can do 11 to 34 fps
    but is set at target 19 fps. Maybe it goes below 10 now and them.. but
    I never look at framerates anymore. It flies ok and having great
    enjoyment [with it].. maybe will raise target to 24 fps tonight. :)

    -Gregory

    p.s. do you have secondary views open? the " [ " key?

    Ibby,

    Thanks for your reply. I do have AE7 installed so that might be part of the
    answer. I see what you mean about the lines and aprons but I do like the
    buildings. I'll follow your suggestion and let you know what happens. And -
    yes I'll be sticking around! Thanks again :0))

    Iain

    "Ibby (The Artist Formally Known as Chris)"
    <chris@mwapartnership(NOSPAM).co.uk> wrote in message
    > PS. Are you gonna stick with this group for a while longer Iain. Hate to
    > lose members.
    >
    > Ibby
    >

    > Do you have Airport Environment 7 installed? I had it and screen jerked
    > near airports. I removed addon runway textures and aprons and just used
    > the
    > buildings out of the installer and it seemed to help. Dont like the
    > runways
    > or aprons in AE7 as yellow lines etc look too clean and 'cartoony'
    > looking.

    Hi Steve,

    Thanks for the response. I can't say I've noticed the hard drive in action
    when this happens and the jerking is quite momentary - a bit too quick for a
    HD I'd have thought. However it might be a contributory factor. Putting the
    pagefile on the other drive might well help.

    Iain

    "stevej" <nopam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Hi Iain
    >
    > Do you hear the hard drive spin up when it jerks and or does the hdd light
    > come on?. If so your system is having to write to the pagefile (swapfile)
    > and then return the seek head to where it was, this causes a small
    > operational delay.
    >
    > I have tried all sorts of swap file settings to try to reduce this such as
    > fixed swap etc, and not found a solution. You could try having a look at
    > your disk fragmentation to see if the pagefile is fragmented and if so
    > unfragment it.
    >
    > Another solution might be to put the pagefile on another physical drive,
    > if you have a spare one.

    That is interesting Oskar as you have a higher spec system than me. It may
    be that having the swap file on a separate drive would help but I must admit
    that the swap or page file size is something that the experts argue about.
    Some say leave it to Windows to manage others have various rules for sizing
    it depending on how much RAM you have. I get confused (not difficult at my
    age!) :0))

    Iain

    "Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Wow... when in doubt.. throw hardware at it. :)
    >
    > Don't get the wrong message.. I'd love to have a new high-end system.
    > It might boil down to making some basic trade-offs. That is giving up
    > (or reducing density of) some features in exchange for extra FPS.
    >
    > So then.. you now have enabled complex/multi-layer moving weather,
    > detailed/hi-res ground terrain, large MDL with 32-bit textures and
    > clickable VC, high-density ground features like trees, buildings and
    > bridges.. plus mega-AI traffic. Ok so lower some of them already!!

    Greg,

    I don't use the VCs and I only have FS standard weather and I have replaced
    the default clouds with DXT3 ones and also converted the a/craft textures to
    DXT3 but otherwise - yes I suppose I am loading things up. Trouble is when
    you get used to a certain look and level of traffic it's hard to come down!
    :0))

    Iain

    "Iain Smith"
    > I have the frame rate locked at 30.

    I had a stutter problem in the early days untill I discoverd that I had the
    frame rate set very high. I lowered it to 20 and it stopped the stutter.

    Dallas

    > No I'm not talking about you guys <g> (not even Amangill or whoever!) but
    > something that seems to be an inescapable part of my FS9 experience. I
    > have what I think is a reasonable system for FS9. Not high end but I would
    > have thought adequate. It comprises:-
    >
    > Gigabyte K8 Triton board with 800MHz FSB and AMD Athlon64 3000+ CPU
    > 1Gb of PC3200 DDR RAM
    > Geforce 6600GT with 128Mb RAM
    >
    > I have the frame rate locked at 30. I have done all the FS9.cfg tweaks I
    > can find and I use FSAutostart to kill running progs. I must admit that I
    > have most sliders at max, including scenery complexity and autogen and I
    > run Ult Traffic at 100% (I like busy airports). Most of the time the frame
    > rate is up in the high twenties if not staying at 29.9, except at busy
    > airports where it will drop to 13 to 18. The problem is intermittent
    > jerking when the scene is moving across the screen such as in a banked
    > turn or, particularly, when turning at the end of a runway even when not
    > at a graphically demanding location.
    >
    > Am I alone in experiencing this? I ask because the impression I get from
    > reading all the posts is that most people with equivalent systems get 100%
    > fluid motion with no jerking at all. I'd welcome any comments or
    > suggestions you may have. Thanks. :0))

    This happens on my system too, spent hours last week trying every trick in
    the book to cure it.

    P4 3.2 overclocked to 3.8 GHz, ATI Sapphire AGP X800XT 256mb, 1 gig dual
    channel DDR400, the OS (XPpro) and the sim run on 2 Western Digital 80 gb
    8mb cache 7200rpm drives, the swap file is on a separate partition from the
    OS. I have 2 other drives in the system, but they don't have any influence
    on the sim.

    I've defragmented my HD's, FS2004 and its add-ons are on a partition on
    their own, on a separate drive from the OS, the swap file is on one of the
    other drives (WD 250gb) and the swap file is at the XP default size. I've
    tried disabling Hyper Threading and also using Hyper Threading but setting
    the affinity for FS9 to just one virtual CPU. the OS is bang up to date ...
    I run updated spyware once a day and clean out the registry regularly. I've
    also tweaked my BIOS settings for recommended usage for my ATI card and have
    experimented with all the recent ATI drivers ... all of this work has helped
    slightly, but I still get that annoying *jerk* every now and again,
    especially when changing direction or panning quickly in an outside view.

    The frame rates are otherwise very good, I've tried setting max FPS limit to
    25, and it never drops below it, currently using unlimited FPS, I see
    constant high 50 to 60 FPS at most times, dropping to low 20's in very dense
    scenery, this is fine and fluid, but all of a sudden I get that momentary
    jerk that is quite annoying :(( I wonder if a couple of Western Digital
    10,000 RPM Raptors would help? The problem is definitely related to HD
    access or the swap file IMHO.

    Cheers.

    Colin.

    "Colin"
    > currently using unlimited FPS, I see
    > constant high 50 to 60 FPS at most times,
    > but all of a sudden I get that momentary
    > jerk that is quite annoying

    Why do you have the FPS set to unlimited?... You are asking your computer
    to do a lot of extra work that isnt really needed.

    Dallas

    I refer also to the answer given by Colin. I have tweaked around quite a
    bit, also experimenting with swap files. It's definitely coming from HD
    access, as I can observe (and hear). Well, I can live with it, I otherwise
    run with 25 FPS (fixed) and have always 24.9 indicated with all sliders
    maxed. Sometimes the stutter is even too short for FS to indicacte a drop in
    framerates. Maybe we're just too sensitive..... ;-))
    --

    > That is interesting Oskar as you have a higher spec system than me. It may
    > be that having the swap file on a separate drive would help but I must
    > admit that the swap or page file size is something that the experts argue
    > about. Some say leave it to Windows to manage others have various rules
    > for sizing it depending on how much RAM you have. I get confused (not
    > difficult at my age!) :0))
    >
    > Iain
    >
    > "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
    >> Same here with a Pentium IV 3.6 GHz, 1 Gb DDR Ram and Radeon X600 PRO
    >> with 256 Mb. As Steve suggested I'm pretty sure that it is a swapfile
    >> issue. It usually happens when approaching a high density scenery. Flying
    >> around in that scenery thereafter has not the same negative impact
    >> anymore (except from framerates coming down a bit depending on the
    >> complexity of the scenery). I wonder whether expanding RAM to 2 Gb would
    >> help. Maybe some of the hardware gurus here may also know how to tweak
    >> around with XP settings.....

    hi,
    some stupid perhaps, additional question.... is it possible to run FS2004
    under windows 2003 server? has anyone tried this? i heard that this system
    is much better regarding memory and tasks management control than xp... i'm
    simply curious... :-)
    cheers,
    gregory,
    eddf, epjg
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    FWIW I have found that the ground shadows option takes a lot of frame rates.
    If you are short on CPU power that can come off. Also, while Dallas is
    theoretically correct about limiting the FPS, I have found that with my
    set-up I do better with unlimited. I cannot say why this is, but we all
    simply have to experiment with the settings ourselves. There are so many
    variables. It also depends on whether you want a smooth action on the
    controls or superb eye candy.
    Quilljar

    Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Photos 1952-60

    http://client.webshots.com/album/204003612QQUuDJ
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    I have tried that Dallas but at 20 it does not seem so smooth to me. Maybe
    I'll try 25. Thanks for the thought. :0))

    Iain

    > "Iain Smith"
    >> I have the frame rate locked at 30.
    >
    > I had a stutter problem in the early days untill I discoverd that I had
    > the
    > frame rate set very high. I lowered it to 20 and it stopped the stutter.
    >
    > Dallas

  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    I did have the view at one time that unlimited was best and my theory was
    that the work FS9 has to do to ensure your set limit is not exceeded is more
    than if it is allowed to run free! Now I'm not so sure. I feel some more
    experimenting and tweaking coming on! :0))

    Iain

    > FWIW I have found that the ground shadows option takes a lot of frame
    > rates. If you are short on CPU power that can come off. Also, while Dallas
    > is theoretically correct about limiting the FPS, I have found that with my
    > set-up I do better with unlimited. I cannot say why this is, but we all
    > simply have to experiment with the settings ourselves. There are so many
    > variables. It also depends on whether you want a smooth action on the
    > controls or superb eye candy.
    > Quilljar
    >
    > Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Photos 1952-60
    >
    > http://client.webshots.com/album/204003612QQUuDJ

  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    I think you've got the right approach, Oskar. I might do a bit of tweaking
    here and there - or I might just keep flying! :0))

    Iain

    >I refer also to the answer given by Colin. I have tweaked around quite a
    >bit, also experimenting with swap files. It's definitely coming from HD
    >access, as I can observe (and hear). Well, I can live with it, I otherwise
    >run with 25 FPS (fixed) and have always 24.9 indicated with all sliders
    >maxed. Sometimes the stutter is even too short for FS to indicacte a drop
    >in framerates. Maybe we're just too sensitive..... ;-))
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    All this discussion about pauses and stutters.. haven't noticed it
    [too much] before but now am MORE aware of it after reading thread.

    Seems to be related to HD access for sure.. and wasn't convinced that
    textures were `pages' if physical RAM was still available. Am seeing
    `more jerks' in the Sim.. and it may be retrieving terrain files from
    HD or it may be retrieving from SWAP file. HD channel is typically 10x
    slower than mainboard buss. When terrain textures are regen from RAM..
    one can see that activity but there's no pauses, skips or jerking..
    such as in panning or looking `outdoors' from cockpit.

    Windows PerfMon could be used to view/track pagefile activity..
    and also HD activity. It's a normal `computer thing'.. HD fetch and
    paging. How about get really lots of RAM and make a RAM drive? :)

    -g

    -------------------
    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:55:46 +0000 (UTC), "Iain Smith"
    <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> brought the following:

    >I think you've got the right approach, Oskar. I might do a bit of tweaking
    >here and there - or I might just keep flying! :0))
    >
    >Iain
    >
    >"Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
    >
    >>I refer also to the answer given by Colin. I have tweaked around quite a
    >>bit, also experimenting with swap files. It's definitely coming from HD
    >>access, as I can observe (and hear). Well, I can live with it, I otherwise
    >>run with 25 FPS (fixed) and have always 24.9 indicated with all sliders
    >>maxed. Sometimes the stutter is even too short for FS to indicacte a drop
    >>in framerates. Maybe we're just too sensitive..... ;-))

  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    > BTW.. my platform does 13-18 fps all the time.. it can do 11 to 34 fps
    > but is set at target 19 fps. Maybe it goes below 10 now and them.. but
    > I never look at framerates anymore. It flies ok and having great
    > enjoyment [with it].. maybe will raise target to 24 fps tonight. :)

    I think FS8 is definitely smoother than FS9 and on lower spec machines so
    this doesn't surprise me.

    > p.s. do you have secondary views open? the " [ " key?

    No not continuously, I only select them occasionally and briefly.

    Iain
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:00:55 +0000 (UTC), "Iain Smith"
    <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >

    >> BTW.. my platform does 13-18 fps all the time.. it can do 11 to 34 fps
    >> but is set at target 19 fps. Maybe it goes below 10 now and them.. but
    >> I never look at framerates anymore. It flies ok and having great
    >> enjoyment [with it].. maybe will raise target to 24 fps tonight. :)
    >
    >I think FS8 is definitely smoother than FS9 and on lower spec machines so
    >this doesn't surprise me.

    Tried target 24 fps for a while and went back to 19 fps. With the
    scenery optimized for hi-flying jets.. takeoffs are tough on frame-
    rate.. especially ActiveCam looking back at field and climbing past
    Cam with flaps and smoke. :)

    Another related point.. the following line in FS2002.cfg

    LOD_TARGET_FPS = 11 // 14 // determined by TARGET_FPS

    seems to be set by FS based on the target FPS? not sure what it
    does!! Scenery?

    >> p.s. do you have secondary views open? the " [ " key?
    >
    >No not continuously, I only select them occasionally and briefly.
    >
    >Iain

    There's a trick to additional views.. it you OPEN a 2nd viewport to
    SPOT for instance.. and then hide it by clicking on MAIN view and
    hitting [ ' ] apostrophe key which brings MAIN view `to the front'..
    thereby hiding the 2nd view behind (can always cycle views). It will
    result in no AC regen delays when switch to EXTerior modes. The
    drawback is.. the 2nd view will eat up framerate even while hidden.

    -g
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    > "Colin"
    >> currently using unlimited FPS, I see
    >> constant high 50 to 60 FPS at most times,
    >> but all of a sudden I get that momentary
    >> jerk that is quite annoying
    >
    > Why do you have the FPS set to unlimited?... You are asking your computer
    > to do a lot of extra work that isnt really needed.
    >
    > Dallas

    Hmmm, made this reply last night just before I went to bed and it hasn't
    turned up on 2 newsfeeds I use? here it is again.

    There was some discussion on here and elsewhere that setting the frame rate
    lock to unlimited
    actually improved performance, some users swore by it ....
    However! I'm just back from some more tweaking, back to FPS locked at 25
    again and have also put a default swap file on my FS2004 partition (as well
    as retaining the default OS swap file on a separate HD) and the jerk is
    practically non existent now. It happened once in my test flight I did just
    now in the same conditions from a saved approach to an airfield in Russia I
    got several *jerks* before :)) I was
    deliberately throwing the aircraft around this time and made 2 go-arounds
    trying to induce the *jerks* and its sooooo much better ... I can live with
    this now.

    Cheers.

    Colin.

    PS: as Quiller has mentioned, I don't let ground buildings cast shadows,
    that's an FPS killer, but let aircraft cast shadows, I also use FSautostart
    like Iain.

    PPS: I will definitely be adding 2 WD 10'000 RPM Raptor drives into the
    system for my PC rebuild next year, or maybe the newer 16mb cache 7200 RPM
    drives, anyone tried them?
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    The microsoft chap at the recent flightsim exhibition in Blackpool was of
    the view that limiting frame rate was best.

    Steve

    >I did have the view at one time that unlimited was best and my theory was
    >that the work FS9 has to do to ensure your set limit is not exceeded is
    >more than if it is allowed to run free! Now I'm not so sure. I feel some
    >more experimenting and tweaking coming on! :0))
    >
    > Iain
    >
    > "Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> FWIW I have found that the ground shadows option takes a lot of frame
    >> rates. If you are short on CPU power that can come off. Also, while
    >> Dallas is theoretically correct about limiting the FPS, I have found that
    >> with my set-up I do better with unlimited. I cannot say why this is, but
    >> we all simply have to experiment with the settings ourselves. There are
    >> so many variables. It also depends on whether you want a smooth action on
    >> the controls or superb eye candy.
    >> Quilljar
    >>
    >> Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Photos 1952-60
    >>
    >> http://client.webshots.com/album/204003612QQUuDJ