Asterisk PBX on Ethernet

Hi Doug,
thank you for answering.

So there are two ways:
1) it is possible to build a custom LAN for voice data with a ethernet
card connected to PBX and a dedicated hub/switch
2) use my office ethernet LAN used for data and also for VoIP data
(mixed)

I looked for a BRI ISDN digium card but I haven't found any, a real
pity. There are only some junghanns card but I don't know them....are
they good as digium??

Thanks again.

DummyBoy

suppersneverready@yahoo.com (DummyBoy) writes:
>So there are two ways:
>1) it is possible to build a custom LAN for voice data with a ethernet
>card connected to PBX and a dedicated hub/switch

Sure.

>2) use my office ethernet LAN used for data and also for VoIP data
>(mixed)

Sure.

>I looked for a BRI ISDN digium card but I haven't found any, a real
>pity. There are only some junghanns card but I don't know them....are
>they good as digium??

Don't know.

DummyBoy wrote:
> Hi Doug,
> thank you for answering.
>
> So there are two ways:
> 1) it is possible to build a custom LAN for voice data with a ethernet
> card connected to PBX and a dedicated hub/switch

Absolutely! But it's a more expensive way to do it.

> 2) use my office ethernet LAN used for data and also for VoIP data
> (mixed)

Sure, you can do this too, but what *many* folks do is set up a
completely switched network and put the phones on a separate VLAN. This
lets you segregate the VoIP traffic from the regular data trafic. You
obviously need an ethernet switch that supports VLAN's and QoS, not some
$100 item from Best Buy. You can also do things with Quality of Service
(QoS) which would give the VoIP packets a higher priority when there is
congestion on the network. These two steps make for a better VoIP
experience for the users.

Remember, the end users are going to expect the new VoIP system to be at
least as good or better than whatever it's replacing. Analog and Digital
PBX's are very reliable devices. Make sure your new VoIP system is as
reliable.

John
--
John P. Dearing