System Volume Information folder - Access Denied message

I've got a standalone laptop comp , I am the Administrator and i have
a user account. I get an Access denied message when attempting to open
the "System Volume Information" folder to investigate System Restore.
Yes all the appropiate options are checked or unchecked in "Tools >
Folder Options" in Windows explorer. Why am I getting this message on
my XP Pro machine?
thanks in advance

Bern
2 answers Last reply
More about system volume information folder access denied message

    Sorry for the premature post someone in an earlier article answer my
    question. I typed the following on the command line"
    cacls "driveletter:\System Volume Information" /E /G username:F
    which resolved my issues

    thanks again
    bern

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 05:47:18 GMT, harris99@earthlink.net wrote:

    >I've got a standalone laptop comp , I am the Administrator and i have
    >a user account. I get an Access denied message when attempting to open
    >the "System Volume Information" folder to investigate System Restore.
    >Yes all the appropiate options are checked or unchecked in "Tools >
    >Folder Options" in Windows explorer. Why am I getting this message on
    >my XP Pro machine?
    >thanks in advance
    >
    >Bern

    Hi Bern

    Have you unchecked 'Hide protected operating system files'? You can't do
    anything, even if you do access the SVI folder. Altering anything in that
    folder could render System Restore unusable.

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    <harris99@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > I've got a standalone laptop comp , I am the Administrator and i have
    > a user account. I get an Access denied message when attempting to open
    > the "System Volume Information" folder to investigate System Restore.
    > Yes all the appropiate options are checked or unchecked in "Tools >
    > Folder Options" in Windows explorer. Why am I getting this message on
    > my XP Pro machine?
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > Bern

Windows XP