Which CPU is best for this situation?

Kudzu22

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Background: I need to build a small portable PC. I need something I can easily stuff in a small bag and put on carry on on an airplane. I do not want a laptop as I want something high performance built with standard parts I can upgrade as needed.

Im looking at Mini-ITX form factor, but may consider Micro-ATX as there are more options there. Need a board with at least 4G RAM support. Something like this:
http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/cPath/78_75/products_id/552

First step is pick the CPU. Of course as fast as possible, but don't want absolute top end. Will be doing a lot of virtualizatino, so the virtualization extensions are important. Will consdier AMD or Intel, but right now Virtual Server already supports Intel with AMD not coming until Q4.

My thinking is 64 but dual core. Power is not an issue for me, however since I have to fit in a smaller case I cannot have a huge power sucker, but I dont need a low power chip either. Something in the middle wattage wise, slightly above maybe. I wont have other hardware except hard drive and video card.

I did some digging and the Pentium D 900's appear to be 64 but and dual core, as well as have virtual extensions. Priced at about $200 in the US, definitely affordable.

Ideas? Comments? Typically in the work I do memory and or hard drive have been my killers, so CPU is important, but so is size of the final package which is also influenced by power supply size and avaiable motherboards in the form factors I need. Otherwise i dont care how much power it uses, I'm not planning to run off batteries.

-------------------------
"Programming is an art form that fights back"

Primitivus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Check out AMD's processor line-up for the AM2 platform officialy launched today. High preformance, low power, 64-bit extensions and dual core. Or wait for Core 2 Duo

Kudzu22

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Any info on the AMD availability? And are they compatible with existing slots etc? Any Mini-ITX boards you know that can take them? :)

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
There are really three reasons why laptops always underperform desktops... laptops are made with extreme consideration given to weight, heat and power consumption.

Well, because you don't want a laptop and are willing to go the mini-PC route, you get to ignore power consumption (no battery for you!) However, the other two factors must be taken into consideration. I suppose the main one you should be concerned with is heat... if you pack a bunch of high-end equipment (WD Rapter, 7900 GTX, etc) into a small form factor PC, you will definitely have thermal issues.

That said... I recommend a Core Duo based system if your budget permits. It's fast and doesn't put out a lot of heat.

Kudzu22

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
"http://www.iwill.net/product_2.asp?p_id=105&sp=Y"

Thanks, but thats still way too big for what I'm looking for. :) I'm looking for something around the NanoPC size or just slightly bigger. Otherwise it looks rather nice.

Kudzu22

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
:: Priority, 64-bit computing is not important in your current

I'm starting to abandon hopes of 64 bit.

"Your main priorites now are low-power(portable form factor) and support for VT."

I'm starting to consider not low power, but "mid power". My restriction on power is mainly size and weight of the power supply.

"As of now only Core Duo T2700 of Yonah series has been confirmed to support VT while T2300, T2400, T2500 and T2600 are pending(last time I checked)."

Regarding Core Duo, I cannot find any information on Intel's site and VT. So the T2700 has VT? Or a coming rev og it?

"On the other hand AMD has said and promised ALL processors released(not made) after mid-2006 will have AMD-VT and has been confirmed on Windsor and Orlean on S-AM2."

Thats not very far away. I could probably wait for that. If I go AMD I'd have to wait anyways, virtual server doesnt support AMD virtual extensions yet anwyays.

"-With Core Duo you lose x86-64
-With Windsor you have to wait at least another month for mainstream availability/pricing plus a mature S-AM2 mATX board(none currently)"

A month is ok.

"The third option is of course Core 2 Duo which does all of the above, but I doubt you'll want to wait that long."

How long is Core Duo 2? The Intel PR on their site does not mention any time frame.

Also are there any perf charts comparing the Duo's against P4's and D's etc? The ones here on TomsHardare exclude all the Cores and M's.

Kudzu22

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Look at the Intel Core Duo, which is a dual-core Pentium M laptop processor. However, there is one (Micro ATX) desktop board made for it. Here's a link to it. It (motherboard) only supports 2GB of RAM, and the Core Duo doesn't support 64-bit, but it's still a very fast and efficient CPU.

Thanks. I may go Duo, but I need minimum 4G RAM. :) I've found a few MiniITX's that support 4G even.

TRENDING THREADS