x2 5000+ exclusive am2?

is there gonna be a 939 x2 5000+ processor or is it exclusive to 940?also will the price drop be significant on 4800+ I have my eyes on one of those...
8 answers Last reply
More about 5000 exclusive
  1. Quote:
    is there gonna be a 939 x2 5000+ processor or is it exclusive to 940?also will the price drop be significant on 4800+ I have my eyes on one of those...

First off, although AM2 is a 940-pin socket design it should not be referred to as 940 to avoid confusion from earlier non-compatible sockets.

Secondly, I believe that the FX-60 is the end of the line for Socket 939.

Thirdly, here is a comparison between the s939 FX-60 and the AM2 X2 5000+:

http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/SideBySide.aspx?opn=ADAFX60DAA6CD&opn=ADO5000IAA5CU

Note the differences: The FX-60 will more than likely outperform the 5000+ because although they operate at the same frequency the FX-60 has twice the cache.

Side note: Your posting is not worthy of its own thread. You should have asked this in an existing thread. New threads should be reserved for new discussion topics, not questions about topics that are already being discussed in many threads.
  2. All new Athlon 64 will only be released for socket AM2.

The 5000+ will be priced higher than the 4800+ so don't expect any drop in prices.
  3. am2 socket, yeah i was a bit confused because i saw on amd's website which i cant find now an article that compares all the processor and 5000+ was on both 939 and am2 socket, I think I'll pull the trigger now and buy either the fx60 or 4800+, thanks..
  4. Quote:
    am2 socket, yeah i was a bit confused because i saw on amd's website which i cant find now an article that compares all the processor and 5000+ was on both 939 and am2 socket, I think I'll pull the trigger now and buy either the fx60 or 4800+, thanks..

Whoa there cowboy! Are you starting from scratch or upgrading? If you are updrading, what are you current specs?

If you are starting from scratch I would wait a week or two and get AM2 when it comes out.
  5. I dont see why they wont be making the FX-62 for the socket 939... I never buy the "Top of the line" CPU anyway but if I was I might be a little miffed that now I have to spend another 100$ (or more) for a mobo on top of alot of money and buy DDR2 but I guess DDR2 is worth it :)
  6. Quote:
    All new Athlon 64 will only be released for socket AM2.

The 5000+ will be priced higher than the 4800+ so don't expect any drop in prices.

What he said. The X2 5000+ and FX-62 will only be released for AM2. Also, if you wanna wait for a price drop then you will probably want to wait for Core 2 Duo, in which case you may just wanna go with that rather then AM2.
  7. Quote:
    I dont see why they wont be making the FX-62 for the socket 939... I never buy the "Top of the line" CPU anyway but if I was I might be a little miffed that now I have to spend another 100$ (or more) for a mobo on top of alot of money and buy DDR2 but I guess DDR2 is worth it :)

How else is AMD going to entice you into upgrading?

Besides that would be in direct competition with the AM2 5000+.
  8. Well you got your answer but listen you should really get conroe it comes out soon and it's gonna be good.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Processors Product