Now What? (Have Power to MOBO/Fans - with a screwdriver...)

mcaren

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
First Build. I'm having problems getting much of anything to work on my new motherboard (pls. see specs below). After having trouble getting any more than an LED light to come on I emailed Antec who suggested disconnecting everything except PSU & Fan and then touching the front (soft?) on/off pins w/a flathead screwdriver. This worked -- fan operated for the first time. Then I connected the CPU & Heatsink and tried using the front panel Power connector (two-pin thing) -- did not work. Reversed the connector direction -- this did not work either. Left the CPU & HS connected and tried the flathead screwdriver method -- this time both the PSU fan & CPU fans came on.

What does this indicate? I don't know where to go next. I've got nothing else attached - not even memory.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks. mcaren

Antec Solution SLK1650B Black Steel ATX Mini Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3000BPBOX
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT400
SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Windows 98SE/ ME/ 2000/ XP
Western Digital Caviar WD800BB 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive
BIOSTAR GEFORCE 6100-M9 Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
SAMSUNG Combo Drive Black IDE Model SH-M522C/BEBN - OEM

mcaren

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I might have fixed it. (But I'm not sure.)
Thinking that I might have made an embarrassing mistake (by not switching the front case power button to "on") I checked again and did this. After fiddling with it a few times it (PSU & CPU fans) did come on. However, using the front on/off switch only seems to make it stay on -- it won't turn off this way.

(But this is only w/the PSU & fan & CPU & fan connected.)

Should the front power switch toggle correctly at this point and power off as well?

Thanks. mcaren

turbo_mcgillicutty

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I find that with my setup, the front power switch will not turn the machine off until it begins to post. If i take out say, the memory or the vid card, the front button will turn the machine on, but will not turn it off. Try to intstall all that is needed to run the computer (cpu, memory, vidcard) and try to turn it off with the front power button when it gets to the post screen. should work.

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
yes at this point your power switch should both turn on and turn your pc off.

if you can turn it on by jumping the pins with a screwdriver but your button doesnt work, then it sounds like a faulty power button.

i had this problem arise when i installed my water cooling system. got it all hooked up and then went to turn it on and nothing.

turns out one of the two wires goin to my power button on the front panel of the case had come loose and wasnt connected. i reconnected it and it fired right up with no problems.

if i were you id first check my wiring to your front case panel then try to get another power button. you can prob find one at a local pc repair shop for a couple bucks