bassa

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
Hey,

I'm looking for a new cooler for my Intel P4 Prescott 3Ghz CPU - socket 478.

Can anyone recommend a really good cooler for this heat-monster of a CPU?

Some guy told me to get a Hyper 48 from Cooler Master. Is that any good?

Cheers and thanks in advance!
Bassa

Sonic_Reducer

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
well i would say go for zalman the 9500 its quiet expensive but i think it's worth it, i have a 7000cu led and i'm very happy it made my cpu drope about 6/10 degrees , i have a processor like yours and it idles on 40 degrees on a moderate day on a hot day gos to 43 and on a cold day e idles on 36/37 degrees, and in full load i've never passed from 53 degrees it's pretty good very silent and quiet cheap. :D

bassa

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
My "idle" (meaning I have about 5 programs running in the background) status shows about 60 degrees, while at full load it tops at nearly 80C! :)

I really need a badass cooler, as you can well see.

Thanks for the tip, guys. I think I'll go with the Zalman.

Cheers,
Bassa

My "idle" (meaning I have about 5 programs running in the background) status shows about 60 degrees, while at full load it tops at nearly 80C! :)

I really need a badass cooler, as you can well see.

Thanks for the tip, guys. I think I'll go with the Zalman.

Cheers,
Bassa

Wow.... my old system used the same processor and mine idled at 50C and load it got up to 69C.... that Zalman is really going to help.... and while you're at it... pick up some Arctic Silver 5

JorgeSD

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2004
My vote is the Zalman 9500 AT, and thats after first trying the Gigabyte 3D cooler. I have a similar setup and had the heat issue! The Zalman will cool it down, way down compared to stock and the 3D cooler, according to my real life experience. No more overheating shutdowns!

mcgruff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Once upon a time there was a heatsink manufacturer named Scythe. They made great products cooler, quieter and cheaper than the competition from Zalman but nobody seemed to want them. One day they finally it figured out. People don't want to waste their money on boring, functional engineering parts. They want flashing lights, machines that go ping! A little bit of showbiz dazzle. Ninja balls!

ninja_balls.jpg