Overclocking

Ragnarok

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone with a mental capacity over 3 could inform me on whether or not dual core processors have a higher overclockability than single core processors.

Thanks,
Ragnarok

jonnymanc

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Difficult call to make!!

Though there are many guides describing what 'steppings' clock better than others!!

If yo are talking AMD, then the Opteron DC's are very good, though I believe the X2's are pretty good as well!!

Single cores still clock well, though it seems that DC is the way forward!

Hope this helps.

malphadour

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
The definative answer to this is:

Maybe.

From articles and posts I have read, it would seem that as a general rule Dual Cores don't O/C quite as well as single cores. However their are several factors involved in this.

Firstly, you can have two single core chips, one will O/C 15%, the other will O/C 25%, this is very much pot luck. Apparently core which are made from silicon that is cut from the centre of a wafer will O/C better, tho I odn't know if this is an old wives tale.

The second factor is that when you have a dual core chip, are both the cores equal. You could have one core that is mega, and one that is crap, so your total O/C will be crap. If you get two great cores then it will clock like a bastard and the world is happy, but one bad one and its glumness all the way. I think this is why on average duals O/C slightly less than singles.

Hope that kind of helps.

nigelf

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
another depends: on the processors that you compare, on steppinginside a family, voltage supplied, cooling, quality ram, ...

yay post 100