Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Keeping my Prescott cool (2.4@3.6 with 0.1 voltage increase)

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
May 23, 2006 11:30:06 PM

Sistem :
CPU iPrescott 2.4 1mb L2 cache fsb 533 (currently at 3.6 but not stable)
Stepping mask D0
Stock cooling
MB Asus P800-x i865
RAM 2xDDRAM 400 Kingmax ! not identical! so single chanel :( 
HD WD 80gb sata
....
PSU :(  400W (?) generic ship/garage made , came with my beautifull 15$ new case
(money is an isue ...)


My problem is:
When runing at 3.6 Ghz with 1.4 voltage, my CPU is going to 60-65 in medium load and then closes the runing aps not afecting winXP.
My thinking is a litle (0.025) vlotage increase could do some magic at making the cpu stable, but I am a litle afraid to do this while it is now to hot for may peace of mind.

:?: And my question to you oldyies but godies members iS:
do yo think I can acomplish the stability of CPU with air cooling
or
should I procede as I think in building a water cooling sistem by myself?
PS pardon my 'french' as I am not native speaker :oops: 
May 24, 2006 7:36:34 AM

Check my sig...Same CPU, except mine is E0 stepping. On a P4P800E-Deluxe,

the best i could get with stock cooler was ~ 3.4. Then on my P4C800E-D,

with the Thermalright XP-120 i had it stable @ 3906. That was at my other

house, where my comp. room was at ground level, and 22C Ambient. Now

in my new house, and comp room on 2nd floor, small 10x8 room, 2 P4

systems going 24/7..the ambient temp is 28-30. I can only get 3726-3744

stable. I have a (cheap,but b'day gift :wink: ) water-cooling setup to install.

Anyway, if your looking for BIG numbers, then skip air. With good air 3.8

is possible, and performs well. GL :) 


PS. My voltage is @ 1.55 in BIOS ~.15v over. 1.5625 for 3906-3960.
May 24, 2006 9:47:40 AM

The frequency you have are quite exciting!
Atualy I hahe the CPU since octomber 2005 and I use to think it cant go more than 2.8 Ghz (beeng afraid to increase voltage).
Than, a feh days ago when I increase voltage a litle and I see it go up to 3.6Ghz I could not belive my eys!
I use to read about this kind of OC but never belive I can do it.
Now, since in Romania it is very dificult to find a water cooling kit (well just a few maybe but they are >250$ and is much more than I can spend) I decided to go for building one kit by myself. :idea:
:D 
So now Iam working at the waterblock - I finished the botom part (copper)and loking for a aluminium cunck for the top part.
I found in a store some pumps at 15-50 $ but I need to make some more research on www about it since I do not know wat specs need to have.
Than a new car heating radiator (about 160/200) at 30$
And after this antifreeze liquid , tubes, a platsic case for reservoir.
Hopefuly under 70$
Can't wait for the moment when my PC goes >3.6 stable :lol: 
May 24, 2006 9:53:48 AM

Quote:
The frequency you have are quite exciting!
Atualy I hahe the CPU since octomber 2005 and I use to think it cant go more than 2.8 Ghz (beeng afraid to increase voltage).
Than, a feh days ago when I increase voltage a litle and I see it go up to 3.6Ghz I could not belive my eys!
I use to read about this kind of OC but never belive I can do it.
Now, since in Romania it is very dificult to find a water cooling kit (well just a few maybe but they are >250$ and is much more than I can spend) I decided to go for building one kit by myself. :idea:
:D 
So now Iam working at the waterblock - I finished the botom part (copper)and loking for a aluminium cunck for the top part.
I found in a store some pumps at 15-50 $ but I need to make some more research on www about it since I do not know wat specs need to have.
Than a new car heating radiator (about 160/200) at 30$
And after this antifreeze liquid , tubes, a platsic case for reservoir.
Hopefuly under 70$
Can't wait for the moment when my PC goes >3.6 stable :lol: 


Sounds Good... Good Luck. :D 
May 24, 2006 10:31:37 AM

Very cool. Good luck with that watercooling system :wink:
May 24, 2006 11:33:21 AM

Water block design change!
I canibalised a HFS from an old athlonXP (1900+) wich had a copper plate at the botom and I am planing to make channels as shown in the pics and drill screw holles in the corners :D 
:idea: In the channels I intend to place a copper spring for turbulence and surface increase. (actualy a see this kind of waterblock design on some water cooling kit producer page so is not my design)
What do you think?

if that is not working maybe just view http://geocities.com/razvanstroiu/untitled.jpg

:oops:  Sorry! :oops: 
May 24, 2006 11:45:22 AM

Quote:
Water block design change!
I canibalised a HFS from an old athlonXP (1900+) wich had a copper plate at the botom and I am planing to make channels as shown in the pics and drill screw holles in the corners :D 
:idea: In the channels I intend to place a copper spring for turbulence and surface increase. (actualy a see this kind of waterblock design on some water cooling kit producer page so is not my design)
What do you think?


Link to pic isn't working :cry: 
May 24, 2006 5:19:49 PM

Currently stable CPU at 3.3 Ghz with 0.05 voltage increase (idle45/full60 celsius) - PSU not up to it :cry: 
My nvidia 6600 (which is sligthly OC'ed from 300/500 to 500/600 gpu/mem) is making voltage demand (pops msg box saying - not enough voltage) and then going on default frequency.
Now I got enough of this so I got drastic:
Caniblize :twisted:
Got AT PSU from old PC and used it to power HDD, dvdr, gpu molex.
Got extra fan 160 mm put it on AT PSU 12v line and oriented it to blow air in top (toward) the procesor.
Not a big decrease in temps but 1-3 Celsius :cry: 
Videocard is now happy again at 500/600 and I edit the bios to stay at this freq. :) 
Still waiting for watercooling and hopefully OC CPU to >3.6.
May 24, 2006 10:59:09 PM

Quote:
Currently stable CPU at 3.3 Ghz with 0.05 voltage increase (idle45/full60 celsius) - PSU not up to it :cry: 
My nvidia 6600 (which is sligthly OC'ed from 300/500 to 500/600 gpu/mem) is making voltage demand (pops msg box saying - not enough voltage) and then going on default frequency.
Now I got enough of this so I got drastic:
Caniblize :twisted:
Got AT PSU from old PC and used it to power HDD, dvdr, gpu molex.
Got extra fan 160 mm put it on AT PSU 12v line and oriented it to blow air in top (toward) the procesor.
Not a big decrease in temps but 1-3 Celsius :cry: 
Videocard is now happy again at 500/600 and I edit the bios to stay at this freq. :) 
Still waiting for watercooling and hopefully OC CPU to >3.6.


With water over 3.6 is a shoe-in. Some guys with Golden chips are getting over 4GHz. My only complaint about this CPU.....no HT.. :cry: 
May 25, 2006 12:35:33 AM

Thanks 1Taker!
I am not very sure about all this so I really apreciate your support.
I am in the proces of sawing the top plate o waterblock from a big aluminium chunk. It looks ugly! :lol: 
And what is a golden chip?
May 25, 2006 4:45:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks 1Taker!
I am not very sure about all this so I really apreciate your support.
I am in the proces of sawing the top plate o waterblock from a big aluminium chunk. It looks ugly! :lol: 
And what is a golden chip?

Just another way of saying a good chip. One with good overclocking
potential.
May 26, 2006 11:32:31 AM


It seems that is not as easy as I thought :!:

The work is progresing, but from lack of proper tools and skills the result is not as shiny as on of factory waterblocks and not without pain and blood all over the table :D 
Still I am determined to wint this battle :lol: 
Anyone has an idea about my "design" :
it will have an S channel 10 mm width / 2 mm height

:?: Should I make the channel with bigger width or height?
May 26, 2006 11:38:43 AM

Quote:

It seems that is not as easy as I thought :!:

The work is progresing, but from lack of proper tools and skills the result is not as shiny as on of factory waterblocks and not without pain and blood all over the table :D 
Still I am determined to wint this battle :lol: 
Anyone has an idea about my "design" :
it wil have an S channel 10 mm width / 2 mm height
:?: Should I make the channel with bigger width or height?


I wouldn't go any bigger with the channel. It will lessen the resistance,

speed up the flow, and if the water flow is too high, it won't absorb the

heat, and carry the heat away. You want a certain amount of resistance.
May 27, 2006 1:08:42 PM

Quote:
With water over 3.6 is a shoe-in. Some guys with Golden chips are getting over 4GHz. My only complaint about this CPU.....no HT.. :cry: 


You are right! :
I added 1 x 160 mm cooler (top of CPU) and 2 x 80 mm Front --> back) - now it is stable at 3.6 Ghz with 1.425voltage but temps are between 42 - iddle and 60! celsius ~ full load. 8O
Are the tems to high?
What sould be the danger limit?
May 27, 2006 8:53:24 PM

Quote:
With water over 3.6 is a shoe-in. Some guys with Golden chips are getting over 4GHz. My only complaint about this CPU.....no HT.. :cry: 


You are right! :
I added 1 x 160 mm cooler (top of CPU) and 2 x 80 mm Front --> back) - now it is stable at 3.6 Ghz with 1.425voltage but temps are between 42 - iddle and 60! celsius ~ full load. 8O
Are the tems to high?
What sould be the danger limit? No...those temps are fine..Mine
idles a touch hotter, for over a year...24/7...no problem. I wouldn't take
it over say, 67C..I've heard of them running mid to high 70's, but i would
not push it that far, especially for any length of time. Congrats on 3.6
and GL.

PS. One day almost a year ago, i thought i smelled something burning.

I opened my case, and my CPU fan had stopped. This was running over

3.8. I shut it down fast, then went into the BIOS....CPU Temp was around

90C 8O . Still runs like a champ now, though. I have thermal shutdown

turned off in the BIOS....always do.
May 27, 2006 9:33:57 PM

What I did when I had that processor, I increased the voltage of the agp bus, and memory slightly and my processor was stable @ 3.6 ghz and I could game on it all day stock cooling, running upto 55 degrees... but try at your own discrepancy, because when I increased my AGP bus voltage my gfx card temp went up. How ever I suggest you buy a Zalman CNPS 7700 CU, its a great hs how ever I never tested it on my ole 478 system.
May 27, 2006 9:38:03 PM

Quote:
What I did when I had that processor, I increased the voltage of the agp bus, and memory slightly and my processor was stable @ 3.6 ghz and I could game on it all day stock cooling, running upto 55 degrees... but try at your own discrepancy, because when I increased my AGP bus voltage my gfx card temp went up. How ever I suggest you buy a Zalman CNPS 7700 CU, its a great hs how ever I never tested it on my ole 478 system.


Yes i did the same...When i had my 9600XT, i had the AGP voltage @1.80

with my 6800GS, i have it @1.70v. Good call, i forgot to mention that. :?
May 27, 2006 11:04:40 PM

Yea those 2.4 A's are bulletproof, and really excellent chips. Mine was great until it died in a power surge.
May 28, 2006 12:09:54 AM

Quote:
What I did when I had that processor, I increased the voltage of the agp bus, and memory slightly and my processor was stable @ 3.6 ghz and I could game on it all day stock cooling, running upto 55 degrees... but try at your own discrepancy, because when I increased my AGP bus voltage my gfx card temp went up. How ever I suggest you buy a Zalman CNPS 7700 CU, its a great hs how ever I never tested it on my ole 478 system.


I will try it right now!
My 6600 (300/500@500/600) is willing to go to GPU550 but with artefacts!
Maybe a litle more power will make it happy :D 
--->restart --->"del" to enter setup :) 
May 28, 2006 12:49:29 AM

I can't find video voltage in bios.
Does Asus have some advanced options in bios accesed by some ctrl+F1 or so (my i815 Gigabite has one of this bios menus with option to switch between standard and advanced mode)?
Or, perhaps, my mobo (P4P800-X) does not have such a feature :( 
Memory voltage I can switch between 2.5xx and 2.6xx (I do not recall exactly).
Sould I fit some radiators first before up ing the mem voltage?
(I have a bunch of them but not sure how to make them stay on the dimms - maybe with epoxy glue?)
I have now a full 800 FSB (from my standard 533 :D  ) 8O
May 28, 2006 1:34:25 AM

do you see anything in the context of AGP voltage ?, putting your ram upto 2.6 volts wont hurt anything, I run mine at 2.7. I have never put radiators on memory, to tell you the truth ive never hurd of it, ive hurd of factory ones, but not after market. So i have no idea how to keep them secure.
May 28, 2006 5:44:02 AM

Quote:
do you see anything in the context of AGP voltage ?, putting your ram upto 2.6 volts wont hurt anything, I run mine at 2.7. I have never put radiators on memory, to tell you the truth ive never hurd of it, ive hurd of factory ones, but not after market. So i have no idea how to keep them secure.


Yeah, there are lots of companies that make/sell RAM heatspreaders.

Most RAM, other than value RAM, comes with heatspreaders already, so

they are probably a waste, if you're going to throw them on value RAM

that won't even clock past 210. :wink:
May 29, 2006 11:07:35 AM

Now I am stable at 3.6 Ghz with 1.4 bios voltage increase
Asus probe is reporting > 1.374 and < 1.425
Temps are: idle 45 full 59 celsius.
<New values after applying some termoconductig stahf - Titan Nano Blue:
June. 01: idle=39-41! full load: 56-58!> Edit lines from June 01
Played for 3 hours FarCry at his autodetect 1024/768 settings and no problems. Run 3dmark 05 for stability and stil no problem Max temp 59.


Very happy about this. :) 



Work at waterblock encounter trouble - I build the top plate from aluminum and after reading some threads around here I found out that it is very bad idea due to corosion caused by Cu-Al interaction.
Read first and cut later... :( 
Now searcing for a chunck of Cu.
June 4, 2006 10:17:13 PM

My Asus P4P800-X motherboard is busted - after a lightning wich hit a tree about 5 m from my house, I enter the room were the computer was (and it was working :!: )and I noticed a orange light from inside the open case. I also smell smoke.
I quickly power of the PC thinking - "it is overheating and the orange light is some warning led". = wrong
Then looked at the motherboard - everything OK.
:!: Powerd on PC-> The southbridge was emiting a orange light - like hot metal!
:!: I of the PC again, discharge myself for static and touch southbridge - IT WAS HOT!
I noticed a small (1mm/2mm) hole on the cip! 8O
[/b]
It never started again :(  :( 


:?: My thought is that some overvolting surge might caused this due to the lightning (my temps were quite Ok: CPU - 39-48, MB - 27-37)

:? Anyone experienced something like that?
(I am going to go to ask for waranty, hopping they will accept it...)

I can provide pictures if anyone is interested (tomorow)
Now I have a XP 1900+ with 190 ram, 10gb hdd (no sata support) and my data form sata hdd anavailable :( 

:idea: Maybe I buy a new i975x + i805 if I read some more on the net (does the mb 975X support Conroe?)
June 6, 2006 9:27:55 PM

hmmm. good thing i ran into this thread.

i have the same board and processor as you but i can only run it up to 2.7GHz before it won't post. i only tinkered with the multiplier for the chip and its voltage. i'll try later to tinker with the agp and mem voltage as well.

sorry to hear about the lightning strike. it is very possible that it was what killed your board. afaik though, strikes like that aren't covered by the warranty of the board.
June 6, 2006 9:40:13 PM

Quote:
hmmm. good thing i ran into this thread.

i have the same board and processor as you but i can only run it up to 2.7GHz before it won't post. i only tinkered with the multiplier for the chip and its voltage. i'll try later to tinker with the agp and mem voltage as well.

sorry to hear about the lightning strike. it is very possible that it was what killed your board. afaik though, strikes like that aren't covered by the warranty of the board.
Nope, house insurance...if your lucky.
You must mean you tickered with the FSB, as the multipliers are locked
on all non-ES chips.
June 6, 2006 9:58:43 PM

Quote:
My Asus P4P800-X motherboard is busted - after a lightning wich hit a tree about 5 m from my house, I enter the room were the computer was (and it was working :!: )and I noticed a orange light from inside the open case. I also smell smoke.
I quickly power of the PC thinking - "it is overheating and the orange light is some warning led". = wrong
Then looked at the motherboard - everything OK.
:!: Powerd on PC-> The southbridge was emiting a orange light - like hot metal!
:!: I of the PC again, discharge myself for static and touch southbridge - IT WAS HOT!
I noticed a small (1mm/2mm) hole on the cip! 8O

It never started again :(  :( 


:?: My thought is that some overvolting surge might caused this due to the lightning (my temps were quite Ok: CPU - 39-48, MB - 27-37)

:? Anyone experienced something like that?
(I am going to go to ask for waranty, hopping they will accept it...)

I can provide pictures if anyone is interested (tomorow)
Now I have a XP 1900+ with 190 ram, 10gb hdd (no sata support) and my data form sata hdd anavailable :( 

:idea: Maybe I buy a new i975x + i805 if I read some more on the net (does the mb 975X support Conroe?)
[/b]

I'd love to see some pics of that. The 975X chipset does support Conroe, but they're releasing Conroe with the 965 chipset, so I'd get that.
June 6, 2006 11:08:37 PM

1tanker: oh yeah. i stand corrected. :D 
June 7, 2006 11:33:25 AM

Here is the chip picture - imagine it as a square of light and it will be what I find after the lightning.



Any release date for i965 motherboards?
June 7, 2006 9:35:11 PM

Quote:
Here is the chip picture - imagine it as a square of light and it will be what I find after the lightning.

That's almost enough to make a grown man cry. My condolences.

:cry: 
June 8, 2006 9:47:51 PM

After going to the stores and a lot of fighting with those guys (they said waranty do not cover visible motherboard damage :evil:  ) I get them to give me another board free of charge - I got for now a Asrock 865PE with dualchannel but it has no voltage support in bios!
They said I can have a Gigabyte 848PE or the Asrock. I was hopping to keep the Asrock MB since it has dual channel but without voltage increasing the CPU is stable at max 3.0 Ghz. :cry: 
I hope to get it to 3.6 again with the gigabyte (wich has voltage adjustement in bios) but without dual channel.

:?: What should I choose?

Gigabyte single channel @ 3.6 fsb 800 ?
Asrock dualchannel @ 3.0 fsb 667 ? :?:
Plese help!
!