My laptop burned off and I upgraded my desktop from Win98
to XP in order to read data on the laptop HD, which is
NTFS.
After installing XP it ran OK for a while, then I when to
Windows Update do update with latest security patches, but
I got a message that I can do that. Then I restarted the
computer and the screen went black, all options for safe
mode etc. were unaccessible, the computer simply refused
to start up. I change the sequence to start from CD rom,
but to no avail? Any suggestion how to reload XP or may be
repair it?

Thanks

Boyko Grigorov wrote:
> My laptop burned off and I upgraded my desktop from Win98
> to XP in order to read data on the laptop HD, which is
> NTFS.
> After installing XP it ran OK for a while, then I when to
> Windows Update do update with latest security patches, but
> I got a message that I can do that. Then I restarted the
> computer and the screen went black, all options for safe
> mode etc. were unaccessible, the computer simply refused
> to start up. I change the sequence to start from CD rom,
> but to no avail? Any suggestion how to reload XP or may be
> repair it?
>
> Thanks

I could comment on this, but I am not sure how to. If English is not your
first language, check the MS newsgroups for one in your language.
You need to re-post your questions [with some detailed information and some
spell checking would also help] on how you installed, also what does "burned
off " mean? What version of XP did you install? What patches did you apply?
Any information helps us help you.
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

hi there,
there was a short circuit or something, the laptop's
motherboard is dead, the HD still working, thanx god!
so I updated my desktop running Win98 to XP Home office in
order to access and save data on the laptop's HD.
XP set up converted the partition to NTFS, set up winXP,
finished successfully and I started the computer
absolutely normally. Then I went on to update WinXP from
the website, but was told that I cannot do that at that
moment??? Probably because I did not registered XP???

Then I had to restart the computer for some reason and it
did not boot at all. Black screen came up, I was not able
to F8 and start in Safe mode. A message came Ntldr file is
missing or corrupt?
I tried to boot using XP boot disketts, but I got message:
- value in .sif used by setup corrupt or missing
- value 0 on the line in section source disk files with
key sp1.cab
- ntldr is missing

these are the events in sequence, if I can not boot, is it
possible to reinstall XP Home edition, or to Format the
partition and start from scratch, but how do I format a
partion when I can not boot???

Thanks for your help,
Boyko

Windows Update does not require activation or registration, although there
are a few pirated copies of XP that Microsoft has locked out.

This sounds more like a bad install. What did you use to install WinXP?
Understand that you cannot use your laptop's Restore disks to do this. You
can only install XP on the desktop with either an Upgrade or Full XP cd.

If you have a Win98 (upgrade or full cd) then you only need to obtain an
Upgrade version of XP. If you do not have a cd for any previous version of
Windows (restore disk will not help), then you will need to obtain a full
version of XP.