spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
You forgot one:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/05/23/am2_athlon_64_fx-62_x2_5000/1.html

Yohna, Core Duo @ 2.6 seems to be trading blows -- hmmmm. Fear at non-GPU limited is pretty decisive Core Duo @ 2.6 and even eaks out at Far Cry ....

FX-62 is a nice CPU, actually very impressive -- but will not compete on performance, price, or power it would appear.

I also enjoyed Anand's commentary ....

In the coming months we will see the official launch of Intel's Core 2 Duo processors, based on the Conroe core. Only time will tell how availability will affect pricing of those CPUs, but Intel is quite eager to release them. AMD is also awaiting the launch of Core 2 Duo, though for different reasons; in fact one of its stipulations for sending out Socket-AM2 review kits was that the CPUs not be compared to Conroe. We understood and agreed with AMD's stance on the issue, simply because Core 2 Duo (Conroe) isn't shipping yet while AM2 is, but we do get a sense of concern whenever Conroe is brought up around AMD.
-- Hmmmmm -- it will be shipping in 4-6 weeks... apparently Hexes.net didn't get the memo. :)

Interesting, there does appear to be a trick up the sleeve on the high end -- care to guess what that might be? I am guessing a co-processor of something or another.

The conclusion is --- AMD will lose the performance and power crown decisively.

However, to be fair, K8L will be interesting track when it rolls around.

Jack

They are in trouble architecture wise, they need a new architecture I don’t think any one wants to openly say that the K8 and its baby’s kids aren’t going to make a lick of a difference. They need a new architecture now, no quad core is going to save be the K8’s saving grace, and I am willing to bet with Core2 2 core to 4 cores would most likely show near linear performance increase. But real world numbers of the K8L don’t exist so I could be wrong.