Sign in with
Your question

WEIRD STUFF GOING ON AT THG's FORUMS

Last response: in Overclocking
May 24, 2006 1:26:35 AM

Looks like admins are not lazy to ban people on this forum, I don't have a problem with that as long as everyone is judged equally.

That's not the case with madmodmike and bullshitter, both of these members were savagely banned from this forum becuase of use "inappropriate" language, but if you look guys like Action_man or Jumping_jack (not to mention some other intel trolls), they seem to be ok to the admins. These guys can curse you, call you names like idiot, moron, dumbass and still won't get banned.

Just have to wonder if they are the admins who are running the forums or some kind of relatives to them.

We users deserve respect and we do hope that law is applicable to everyone and not just to a few.

More about : weird stuff thg forums

May 24, 2006 1:54:19 AM

Quote:
Looks like admins are not lazy to ban people on this forum, I don't have a problem with that as long as everyone is judged equally.

That's not the case with madmodmike and bullshitter, both of these members were savagely banned from this forum becuase of use "inappropriate" language, but if you look guys like Action_man or Jumping_jack (not to mention some other intel trolls), they seem to be ok to the admins. These guys can curse you, call you names like idiot, moron, dumbass and still won't get banned.

Just have to wonder if they are the admins who are running the forums or some kind of relatives to them.

We users deserve respect and we do hope that law is applicable to everyone and not just to a few.

I do agree with you on this one, but it's hard to fight an army of trolls if they're backed by the admins. I did notice the day before rettihsllub got banned that one of the admins edited all of his posts but didn't touch a single word of Action_Man's post. This makes you believe (as a forum member) that Action_Man and many others in this forum have the ability to curse and call people names with the blessing of the admins.

I do hope you won't get banned just for sake of telling the truth to the whole forum. I hope that some reasonable admin take note of this and start to work on the subject.
May 24, 2006 2:15:59 AM

On this topic I have this to say, One can express ones self and a strong opinion with out ever resorting to foul language and with out abusive language.... If people find that hard to do then perhaps they need to find a different outlet for that energy. I always say "Truth is great but how its expressed is nearly as important...."
Related resources
May 24, 2006 2:41:35 AM

Seems we can't see past the screen on this one.
I sure can't.
Whoever has their hands in the cookie jar here at Tom's,
well, let's just say, must be a Family Tradition.
(Isn't that how most companies work? Hmmm....some of this seems so close to home...that I....think I'm there)

Let's go smokin'.....
snap o' de litro n' a puff o' da bean.
Sweet. Lim-o-bean.
May 24, 2006 3:05:49 AM

Quote:

Please find one, just one post, where jumping_jack slanders another individual. I know he likes to give you a hard time, but at least I don't recall him ever blatently calling you names. Action_Man can get a bit over the top, I can agree, but to put him in the same group as MMM is just plain wrong.

btw, you're not suppose to post in ALL CAPS.....did you get the memo? :wink:
May 24, 2006 3:41:05 AM

Quote:

Is this your pitch to win the popularity contest?

"Savagely" banned? Like they got their mouse fingers cut off?
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
May 24, 2006 4:19:23 AM

Quote:

Don't worry holmes, MadModMike is alive and well on Toms Hardware Forums. He is under another name, running off several proxies and different IP addresses, the admins will never get him, lol.

He spends his time in the other parts of the Forum helping people fix their computers, as that is what he enjoys doing, but he keeps up on all current events and continues to Pimp The World 1 Rig At A Time.

PS: No, I am not MMM.....or am I? mwuahahahahha ;) 
May 24, 2006 4:36:41 AM

What part of Jumping_Jacks posts upset you? The part where he corrects you with links to information? Or the part where he corrects you with quotes from the links that you provided?

9, you have provided nothing but troll fodder and wonder why you get pinged?

Do you ever read some of your own posts? MMM was asked on multiple occasions to clean it up and he disregarded what the mods had asked and he got banned. If you have a problem with Action or Jumping report them and allow the mods to review.
Upon review I think they will give Jumping a clean bill and they will give Action a fair warning.

MMM was banned because of the system. The same system that you have available to you! You call everyone on here an idiot for not agreeing with you and I am sure they will ban you as well. MMM got away with a whole lot for a whole long time. If you are looking to MMM as a poster boy then you might want to find another set of forums on another site.

I think you are upset because one of the people that supported your train of thought has been asked to leave.
May 24, 2006 4:39:37 AM

I do agree that weird things have been going on though. Have you seen the number of double, triple and quadruple posts? I think this afternoon I saw a 7 post.

That IS weird!
May 24, 2006 4:53:41 AM

Get real, you using mmm as an example of mod abuse? The little I saw of it, mmm saw all signals kindly given to him to chill out as an attack on him and felt a need to retaliate in some form.
May 24, 2006 7:26:30 AM

The problem, isn't so much, the odd use of profanity, or even sarchasm and

digs, but when 80% of someone's posts are insults, belittling, or almost

bullying, and that's why MMM got banned. And don't worry, because when he

sneaks in under a new name, his true colours show, by his second post in

a thread. :roll:
May 24, 2006 8:31:33 AM

You can't compare MMM with others. He is amd fanboy and can't believe the truth. When some one tell it to him, MMM put an insult and don't put answer.
May 24, 2006 8:43:08 AM

Quote:
You can't compare MMM with others. He is amd fanboy and can't believe the truth. When some one tell it to him, MMM put an insult and don't put answer.

Yes, i know that, BUT there are others who act similarly, but not quite as

immaturely. I sometimes give smart*ss remarks, and sarchasm too, but

i don't fill a whole thread worth, nor do i make it the majority of my postings

content. The odd dig, or jab here and there, mostly done in humour, or at

times, to illicit a response, but i don't put myself on a pedestal, whilst

arguing every little thing, like my life depended on it. :?
May 24, 2006 8:54:04 AM

Greetings to all THG readers here!

While I have been an avid reader of Tom's Hardware Guide pretty much since its inception in 1996, I have, until now, neglected to post in the forums. So, this is my first post, so be gentle!

Firstly, I am probably only a moderate reader, and so may not have the forum experience of some here.

I have read many posts from MMM and from seemingly like-minded users . In general, I don't mind a bit of fanboyism, as long as its friendly and toungue in cheek. I will state unequivocly now, that I am not greatly preferenced to either Intel nor AMD. I will leave AMD vs Intel for some other post. I do think that MMM and some others were overly harsh and atleast a little rude at times with there expressions re various hardware topics. I am a little undecided as to wether or not MMM and some others have deserved their banned status, but would have to comment that his (MMM's) tone with people could be unnecessarily aggressive or even hostile. I also dislike excessive fanboyism that is "arrogantly hostile" to other particpants in the forums. That said however, I do not mind someone who is a fan of a paricular company - just as long as it doesnt disrespect and incite anger etc with fellow posters and readers here in THG.

But, to be fair, I think the guys at THG have done a good job with their articles and various dealings that I am aware of. While the forum admin are perhaps being harsh, I do think people like MMM needed to take a bit more care with their posts. That said, I am a real believer in free speech. I think the problem with MMM and some others, is that they need to consider their words better and show respect. I don't mind a bit of fun and games and banter but I beleive that MMM takes things too far.

Finally, to comment on Action_man, I never felt offended etc by him. I usually find his wit and 2 cents worth to be quite informative. I suppose there is some sarcasm, but I can live with it, and somes enjoy it. I havent read much from Jumping_jack - I can say that his advice seems quite sound to me. I think we could all do well to take the example of other quality posters who in addition to adding a wealth of knowledge and help, add fun and humour to the forums.

Keep up the good work everyone. Maybe THG moderators/admin need to set more boundaries - perhaps they could offer MMM and others a chance to atone for their behaviours. But, all in all, I think they do a great job.

Special greet to wusy for his fine contributions also.
May 24, 2006 10:14:57 AM

Quote:

That's not the case with madmodmike and bullshitter, both of these members were savagely banned from this forum becuase of use "inappropriate" language

When did madmodmike get banned? And what'd he do to deserve that?

Alas, while he was sometimes a bit rough around the edges he did also sometimes have interesting things to say.
May 24, 2006 10:53:33 AM

Thank goodness SPHINCTER is a medical term.
May 24, 2006 11:06:36 AM

Child play
May 24, 2006 11:27:21 AM

Quote:

I do agree with you on this one, but it's hard to fight an army of trolls if they're backed by the admins. I did notice the day before rettihsllub got banned that one of the admins edited all of his posts but didn't touch a single word of Action_Man's post. This makes you believe (as a forum member) that Action_Man and many others in this forum have the ability to curse and call people names with the blessing of the admins.

I do hope you won't get banned just for sake of telling the truth to the whole forum. I hope that some reasonable admin take note of this and start to work on the subject. They got perm banned?
May 24, 2006 12:20:41 PM

i only been around for a while,but im sure it would help your cause if you didnt post the title with caps lock on,people find it annoying.
also i would just like to say of all posts from jumping_jack i have read, they have all been the best on the forum, he clearly understands science behind computers and computing very well. as a physicist i enjoy reading his scientific explanations
May 24, 2006 1:58:42 PM

I knew it was 9-inch that posted this fourm. His caps really caught my attention :lol: 
May 24, 2006 1:58:43 PM

Well, I've been reading THG for a couple of years, and in the last month I've joined the forum community...
Looking beyond MMM fanboy-ism, he made some pretty good posts, some things were VERY useful... The admins should be a little more objective
Of course, you have to balance things between useful posts and agressions :roll:
I think there was where MMM lost the battle! :wink:
Anyway, he was a valuable member of the forum
On the other hand, Action_Man does nothing more than post the Das Keyboard and the Slinkie... I can't recall any useful post and/or answer of him (I'm not saying he didn't)
Jumping_Jack is kinda advanced to some people around here (me included :D  ), and, I guess not everybody is interested in the fabrication process of a wafer, which chemicals do they use, etc etc. Were interested in performance and features! :lol:  (Tell me if I'm wrong here!)

My 2 cents! :wink: :lol: 
May 24, 2006 2:03:17 PM

Quote:

Jumping_Jack is kinda advanced to some people around here (me included :D  ), and, I guess not everybody is interested in the fabrication process of a wafer, which chemicals do they use, etc etc. Were interested in performance and features! :lol:  (Tell me if I'm wrong here!)

You're wrong! J/k :lol: 
May 24, 2006 2:06:01 PM

I agree with the monkey.
Jumping_Jack seems to get the facts right, tell them straight and clearly, coming off as the most informed and knowledgeable poster on this forum.(be that true or not...)
He is generally a very reasonable poster and not prone to unscrupulous opinions.
He does have a habit, which I can not blame him for, of getting short with people who refuse to answer questions or backup dubious opinions. Though, I have never found those posts to be anything more than "direct" when addressing a fellow poster.

MMM seemed OK when he was right about something, but when he wasn't and someone called him out on it....venomous.

Action_man, at times, was a troll with the way he would post keyboards and slinkies(or-ys?). Though, I would not call him a bad troll since he tended to be making valid points whenever he would say something or post one of his pics.(subjectivity and all that)
May 24, 2006 2:22:22 PM

9-inch: I don't know what you are trying to accomplish here, but there is no grounds for banning either action_man or jumping_jack. Action_man may post a lot of keybords and slinkies in response to your posts but there is a good reason for that. I'm sure at least the keyboards would stop if you started formatting your titles properly instead of aggrevating everyone. The slinkies would stop if you would check your facts first, read the articles you post about carefully, and makes sure you have something usefull, true, and worthwhile to post.
May 24, 2006 2:46:47 PM

Tue that 8)
In some but not all cases
May 24, 2006 4:00:46 PM

First I am a retired IEEE certifed relay engineer(1975) and worked at Sandia National Labs on ASCI Red, RedStorm and consulted for ASCI Purple at Lawrence Livermore Labs. I will say that 99% of the posters her don't have a clue about what they are talking about. Had one poster here respond in a PM that risc computers are more powerful thamn i86 based machines. I think that the two Blue Gene variants that IBM has built put lie to that. Mike went over the top a few too many times . Action Man is insulting and at Sandia we have a IEEE dumbass post of the week award. He has been nominated for an insult he posted to another member on the Woodcrest thread. If the moderators here have any CLASS at all he should be kicked off for that. Jumping Jack at least tries to bring intellegence to the threads here. He does his reseach and does reasonalby well. The one caveat I will give on sources other than independent white papers is that the writers don't have a clue themselves many times. One feature writer(quoted here repeatedly) at Anandtech didn't know that winbond BH-5 and SamsungTCCD memory were DDR, he thought that they were 168 pin SDRAM. So sources on the outside may be ignorant or shills for the product they are reviewing and using them doesn't make the facts right. The misadventure into Iraq is a classic example of what wishful thinking and unreliable sources can result in. The other thing that everyone should consider in any source is what is missing. I will give two examples. One is conroe /woodcrest where are the 64 bit benchmarks. We are at the 4gb limit for 32 bit apps on memory. No one seems to consider the consequences of that. The other is the bulldozer post for laptops. Intels architecture for laptops is so far ahead of where AMD starts any claim of being competitive is nonsense.

These foruns should be a place where people can ask for help and get it and the posters should limit themselves to knowledgeable posts and not spend time insulting others. There are going to be disagreements about which is better ATI or nvidia and AMD or Intel (actually neither IBM is about two generations ahead of both with 128 bit cores and code).
May 24, 2006 4:23:08 PM

casewhite,

Am I to assume that you count yourself into the 1% who do have a clue about what they are talking about?

Were you actually IEEE certified? Wow!

You worked at Sandia? Wow again!

Sorry case, you came on here as a young poster like myself and offer that 99% of the people here have "no clue". Yeah that goes a long way towards establishing credibility. You only have a little less than 1% to alienate now! Since again, I believe you were counting yourself in the top 1%.

By the way I have worked with many Senior Engineers which held many of "THE" sought after certifications. I can tell you from experience that a certification does not mean that you can or can not do a job in an intelligent/effective manner. I have CS Engineers with Masters and so on that have difficulty understanding why internals are important in software development.

By the way being IEEE certified means that he documented his processes well.

Case I wish you luck in the community and with life. I certainly do not have all the answers, but I am willing to try and find them. I am hoping to reach that 1%!
May 24, 2006 4:56:29 PM

I have just about stopped posting due to the same things that caseman talks about... his credentials are his posting and business, I just read between the lines, and what he was getting at.

I admin and moderate a number of sites, and many of the "goings on" in the forums here, as of late, require more moderator or admin intervention. Anand-tech's forums have gotten just as bad. Many do not like the [H], but they do rule their forums with an iron fist.

Permament banning should be a hard choice, and at least one or two warnings issued first. Thread editing should be noted as such in the post, and reason given for editing. Likewise, all should be held accountable equally as to reason for a temporary, or permanent banning.

I'm not singling out any one particular member... but personal attacks can and do not always contain profanity, but can be just as demeaning and damaging to the person for whom it is directed. This and total mis-information can only lead to more degradation of the forums.

If there are not enough moderators, then Tom's might be best served by looking for more with good credentials, and make sure they are marked as same.
May 24, 2006 5:05:34 PM

The THG forum is as good as it is because of the people that, day by day, shows up here...
Is it so bad to have a little fun once in a while? Otherwise, this would be a boring forum, yes, very practical, but boring. Who would read something that is boring? Would you? :wink:
And yes, 99% of the people don't have a clue... So what? We're here to learn, to help each other! If everybody knew everything, I'd see no reason to join a forum community.
So, IEEE certified ex-Sandia "casewhite", if you know so much about everything, please elighten us, poor ignorant people... 8O
May 24, 2006 5:10:38 PM

Quote:
I will say that 99% of the posters her don't have a clue about what they are talking about.

You said it. Slight (only slight) exageration, but point is made. I second it.

I sometimes wonder why I even post here. I never started until a few months back when I was heavily researching a new build. I've read Toms Hardware for years but rarely the forum. I guess that scrolling forum thread advert gets me in here as some topics look interesting but are often hijacked by absolute crappy postings. There is some good stuff though, it's just rare. :-(

I certainly don't claim to be a know it all, as some kid is likely to accuse me of but there really are just an insane ammount of posters who don't know anything but act as if they know oodles. There are also WAY too many who argue for the sake of arguing without any real point, just self rightous blabbering. The kid who responded to you is a prime example.

I've found these forums to be filled with negative people with mostly obvious adolescent attitudes. How this site has come to be dominated by that I don't know. Even many of those who actually are helpful find a way to be unneccessarily negative. I visit a number of other forums of vaious topics, and none of them have even a small percentage of the baloney that goes on here. The other few forums I go to for info regarding similar things one might find here at Toms are filled with people who are respectful and more knowledgable. My guess is that those knowledgable people don't come here due to the poor attitudes that prevail.

Why am I posting this? Well, in hopes that it'll influence at least a few to re- evalute their thinking, and I have some spare time at the moment.
May 24, 2006 5:17:25 PM

ProHandyMan,

I do agree that there needs to be a much more agressive and much more apparent moderation of these forums.

I do have to say that I see many people attempting to help others with problems. This is what makes this place a great community.

Having active "in forum" moderators (identified as such) goes a long way toward bringing around a better behaved crowd. You will likely have the same information transfer but it will be in a much more calm environment.

Cheers to all here!

By the way Case, I do understand (completely) the reference to SNL and LLL. I used to work in the business! Those are good credentials to have, but when presented as above it really does detract from the intent.
May 24, 2006 5:29:53 PM

ADK_Eric,

If you are referring to me as the "KID" thanks.

When I stated young poster I meant in terms of number of posts (just over 300 for me and in the teens for case).

I come to these forums to both Learn and Teach where possible. As with anything on the web you have to take it with a grain of salt. My filters are always deployed.

This is why I like posters who reference links to reputable places. Again they can even be misinformed/biased but often after reading/wading you can find what you are looking for "the truth".

Many here are passionate about their choices. As they should be. I think the difficulty comes when that passion deploys blinders instead of filters.

I prefer fact over "I think".
May 24, 2006 5:34:54 PM

Quote:
Looking beyond MMM fanboy-ism, he made some pretty good posts, some things were VERY useful... The admins should be a little more objective Of course, you have to balance things between useful posts and agressions :roll: I think there was where MMM lost the battle! :wink: Anyway, he was a valuable member of the forum

I saw him flame some people, swear, etc. But I never read anything from him that I haven't seen here before by others. I've been wondering if it was a straw/camel's back issue or if he fired a single shot that did him in. I only read a small fraction of the posts here and could easily have missed it.

Quote:
On the other hand, Action_Man does nothing more than post the Das Keyboard and the Slinkie... I can't recall any useful post and/or answer of him (I'm not saying he didn't)

That is nowhere near a fair assessment in my opinion. Sure, he might be a bit cantankerous at times. I could never respect a sugared up expert in the first place. You've missed plenty of his content.

Quote:

I'm interested in wafer fab! I'm no expert there at all, although I used to provide analytical support to the industry and find it fascinating. As a matter of fact, my attitude is that it's good to learn everything you can about the industry, even the (gasp!) business end. The horror, the horror. No, not that kind of horror, I'm no pimp.

Quote:

I charge much more than that.
May 24, 2006 5:39:01 PM

Clue,

You definetley are in the 99% with a user name like that :D  :D  :D 
May 24, 2006 5:39:19 PM

Quote:
As with anything on the web you have to take it with a grain of salt.

That is the 13th commandment

Quote:
I prefer fact over "I think".

That's a great ideal. Unfortunately, facts occasionally reveal themselves to be conditional.
May 24, 2006 5:43:08 PM

Quote:

That's a great ideal. Unfortunately, facts occasionally reveal themselves to be conditional.

That is why I put in the WADING statement.
May 24, 2006 5:47:48 PM

Quote:

That is why I put in the WADING statement.

What's "wading"?
May 24, 2006 5:57:04 PM

Wading through post after post, article after article until you can logically draw some conclusion on the facts that have been presented.

In my past life we would have to change the classification of a document because of a compilation of data.

For instance:

Having several peices of unclassifed data in a single binder might change the documents total classification due to the compiled data having a classified meaning.

I liken this "dervied classifiaction" to the "derived facts" that I find on the web.

You have to wade through lots of data to find the classified/actual meaning.
May 24, 2006 6:08:02 PM

What is up with the double posts?

I submitted and it hung for a couple of minutes and then the double post!

Sorry for the double.
May 24, 2006 7:34:08 PM

Quote:

I do hope you won't get banned just for sake of telling the truth to the whole forum. I hope that some reasonable admin take note of this and start to work on the subject.

Outnumbered? Easy way to solve this problem: Upgrade your army of sock puppets

May 24, 2006 8:54:45 PM

Quote:
Wading through post after post, article after article until you can logically draw some conclusion on the facts that have been presented.

In my past life we would have to change the classification of a document because of a compilation of data.

For instance:

Having several peices of unclassifed data in a single binder might change the documents total classification due to the compiled data having a classified meaning.

I liken this "dervied classifiaction" to the "derived facts" that I find on the web.

Thanks for clarifying. The process is one whose importance is lost on many people. The masses want easy answers that require zero thought. But it's good that you investigate and even better that you take the time and apply the energy to evaluate the data. We need more people willing to put forth that kind of effort. I'll stop now before I say something political.
May 24, 2006 10:40:03 PM

Quote:

For instance:

Thanks for clarifying. The process is one whose importance is lost on many people. The masses want easy answers that require zero thought. But it's good that you investigate and even better that you take the time and apply the energy to evaluate the data. We need more people willing to put forth that kind of effort. I'll stop now before I say something political.

This is not directed at you clue69less, just didn't feel like replying back to
the first post.

First of all...NOBODY, but NOBODY knows "everything". That's the
beauty of the forum. People ask for opinions-suggestions, and that
alone means you will get many different answers. If someone has a
problem, and asks for help, they're likely to get 20 different answers or
suggestions. This IS good. Many times WE have to try several things,
before we can narrow it down to the real problem. Variety in answers is
the whole idea of this. In lots of "Help" threads, i have seen 30 posts,
but maybe one person, who may be teased about their reply, will have
the right idea. As far as Jack, or other posters getting technical, i
find it interesting, yet at times, i don't grasp it all. There are times when
i don't feel like reading a 3000 word post, SO, i either just skim through,
or browse the post, or just skip it and continue on. Nobody is forcing you
to read something that you don't want. It's better to have it there in case
you are interested,and if not, skip over it, than not have it there and
wish it had been posted. At least that's my thought. If you think that is
wasting your time, then you're in here for a different reason than most.
Most of us come in here for something constructive"to do". Beats sitting
in front of the TV, and is educational, and sometimes fun. But having
someone who insists that he is right , and everyone else is wrong, then
breaking into insults and demeaning rants to try to "WIN", is not of any
help, nor is it fun or educational. It only serves that person, and that
person alone's EGO. Sorry for the rant, but just look how much MMM
gets discussed, even when he isn't here....he's left a "SCAR" in the
forums, and it will take some time to forget about his Shenannagins, if
ever. To all who post with the best of intentions, and "helping" in mind,
cheers, and keep up the good work. To the others who are reminiscent
of school-yard bullies-take it somewhere else. It isn't "COOL"....Period.
May 24, 2006 11:36:37 PM

Wow, reading all these things...
Honestly (and I'm not being sarcastic or anything like it) I "withdraw" from this thread...
Just feeling I'm not qualified :( 
I can really notice right now I'm not "old" enough in this forum to properly discuss about it, so, I'll leave it (the thread, of course :wink: )
Just want you to know that many of you have taught me some things today, and I won't forget a simple word. Thanks.
C ya! (in another thread! :p  )
May 25, 2006 12:01:51 AM

Quote:
Honestly (and I'm not being sarcastic or anything like it) I "withdraw" from this thread...
I can really notice right now I'm not "old" enough in this forum to properly discuss about it, so, I'll leave it (the thread, of course :wink: )
Just want you to know that many of you have taught me some things today, and I won't forget a simple word. Thanks.

Hey, you're misunderstanding my point. You can be young, and still
contribute, and keep things interesting, etc. My point, is that many
(whether actually "young", or not), act immature. I know many young
kids that are mature, and can carry on a conversation with any adult. So
i'm not ragging on being young, or even not knowing that much. I am
ragging on the lack of maturity that some people show. So, don't assume
that you aren't wanted or welcome. I just hope that people can "behave"
half-decently. And if they don't always, that's not SO BAD either. It's
when they act idiotic ALL the time.
May 25, 2006 12:25:36 AM

Quote:

Hey, you're misunderstanding my point. You can be young, and still
contribute, and keep things interesting, etc. My point, is that many
(whether actually "young", or not), act immature. I know many young
kids that are mature, and can carry on a conversation with any adult. So
i'm not ragging on being young, or even not knowing that much. I am
ragging on the lack of maturity that some people show. So, don't assume
that you aren't wanted or welcome. I just hope that people can "behave"
half-decently. And if they don't always, that's not SO BAD either. It's
when they act idiotic ALL the time.

for me, im 17 -still in high school ( idk if that matters )

i have no problem with "Imature" people who flame over something

-but these Forums r getting out of hand

and 9-inch, not to be rude, plz post your links somewhere else

like www.digg.com people there will find your "links" more usefull

-scrub
May 25, 2006 5:29:12 AM

Quote:
Back in 2000 when I was only 13yrs old

Man, you vets make me feel so young.
May 25, 2006 6:14:39 AM

Quote:
Well, I've been reading THG for a couple of years, and in the last month I've joined the forum community...
Looking beyond MMM fanboy-ism, he made some pretty good posts, some things were VERY useful... The admins should be a little more objective
Of course, you have to balance things between useful posts and agressions :roll:
I think there was where MMM lost the battle! :wink:
Anyway, he was a valuable member of the forum

hmmm
in my opinion MMM was the most extreme case of AMD fanboyism i've ever seen. not only would he be highly biased towards AMD in his advice all the time, but he would go further than that and repeatedly diss all intel's products. whenever he knew he was beat in an argument, he would more often than not resort to verbal abuse or upsetting posts. it was almost like he seemed to know too much for his own good at times.
but MMM only seemed to turn sour after about less than a week of his joining up on these forums. I remember when he first joined, he would provide very informative and friendly posts. probably some of the better posts i've seen.

i've only read a few of jumping_jack's posts and haven't seen anything abusive from him, personally.

action man does occasionally provide helpful stuff but what are the forums without a little humour.
May 25, 2006 6:38:27 AM

I consider myself fairly young, but at this forum I'm strangely above the average age it seems. 8O

Back in 2000 I was 17 years old, and using a Compaq Deskpro 4000N (Pentium 233 MMX, 32MB ram, Windows 95A, floppy, 16x slot-load CDrom, 2MB S3 graphics card, 56k ISA modem, and 15" CRT, purchased in Fall 1998 for $999). The family's first computer. After I graduated highschool I purchased a new HP Pavilion 6835 in Fall 2001: 800 MHz Celeron, 128MB pc100 ram, Intel 810 igp chipset, 30GB Seagate U-series HDD, floppy, an 8x/32x/4x HP CD Writer (WOOT!), 56k pci modem, Windows ME (very sweet), 17" CRT, and multimedia keyboard, for the amazing deal of $700 after taxes (Thank you STAPLES). I used that until late 2004, then I gave it you my step brother and his wife, and built my first computer from scratch (socket 478/2.0 GHz Celeron). Since then I've built and modified way too many computers to count, and I bought a Dell laptop last summer. Anymore though, I don't care as much about the latest computer technology, and take more satisfaction in tinkering with old hardware (planning on building an MP3 jukebox soon, using a P133 and DOS)
!