Are DDR prices going down?

kobe08

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
With the release of new sockets that use DDR2 memory, I guess that means DDR1 memory will go down. Should I wait to buy or should I buy now. I plan to buy 2x1 GB DDR-400. Also, if I don't plan to overclock, does it mean I don't have to buy the premium grade brand name memory, or can I just buy the low grade memory from brand names? Thanks.

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
DDR1 prices will either remain stable where they are now, or go up in price. This is due to the fact that supplies will become more and more limited as chip producers will lower yields in favour of producing more DDR2 ICs. However, demand for DDR RAM will remain about the same level as now, thus Supply down, demain stable means higher prices. Enthusiast level modules may drop slightly due to lower demand, but that's purely speculation on my part.

DrBlofeld

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
With the release of new sockets that use DDR2 memory, I guess that means DDR1 memory will go down. Should I wait to buy or should I buy now. I plan to buy 2x1 GB DDR-400. Also, if I don't plan to overclock, does it mean I don't have to buy the premium grade brand name memory, or can I just buy the low grade memory from brand names? Thanks.

I have posted this topic before. I have links to articles that suggest prices may increase, at least for the short term.

edwuave

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
nope, dont think the price will go down. some more, the price of ddr in my country increase around 15% over the past few months. im in the same situation as everyone with a DDR motherboard. planning to upgrade another 1G RAM, but not sure whether the prices will come down in the future.but with DDR2 getting more popular, i hardly believe that DDR will be cheaper.