High Contrast

September 20, 2004 9:48:16 AM

I seem to have uninstalled this accessibility tool and
can't find it on the Add Programme. Please help

More about : high contrast

Anonymous
September 20, 2004 9:55:56 AM

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...

"Linda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I seem to have uninstalled this accessibility tool and
> can't find it on the Add Programme. Please help
September 20, 2004 10:13:34 AM

Ta but this link did not work. Could not be found. More
help please
tips/mag2.mspx

>"Linda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> I seem to have uninstalled this accessibility tool and
>> can't find it on the Add Programme. Please help
>

>.

September 20, 2004 10:49:27 AM

Just tried the link here - again. Works just fine. Try a copy/paste into
your browser's address bar making sure you get all the address>

> Ta but this link did not work. Could not be found. More
> help please

Anonymous
September 20, 2004 11:16:13 AM

Ok I turned off my pop blocker got the link but it
doesn't tell me how to reinstall the High Contrast option
which is no longer available as an option. I can't find
it on the XP cd or on my hard drive.

Anonymous
September 20, 2004 11:17:20 AM

PS its not available on Add/Remove Programmes

Anonymous
September 20, 2004 1:54:00 PM

Hi, Anonymous.

Accessibility Options should be the first item in Control Panel, NOT in Add
or Remove Programs. On the Accessibility Options page, click the Display
tab, then check the box for Use High Contrast. Then click the Settings
button for a list of many options.

If you still can't find it, you may need to run the System File Checker to
restore the necessary files from your on-disk cache or from your WinXP
CD-ROM.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> PS its not available on Add/Remove Programmes

September 20, 2004 1:54:01 PM

The display tab has gone so I will try tosearch for the
necessary files but I could not recognise the neccessary
files either on XP cd or hard drive Please tell me what
to look for Thanx

e/
>> tips/mag2.mspx
>>>

>>>"Linda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
More

Anonymous
September 20, 2004 1:54:01 PM

Ok what is and how do I use System File Checker

September 20, 2004 1:54:01 PM

More Info I get the message can not find
C:\windows\system32\accwiz.exe. Where do I find it to re-
install it?

Anonymous
September 20, 2004 1:54:02 PM

I don't know if the stand-alone file will do you what you need - but I've
stored it on one of the web storage sites I manage.

http://darienart.com/accwiz/

Right click on it and Save As

Save it into your C:\windows\system32 folder and give it a try

> More Info I get the message can not find
> C:\windows\system32\accwiz.exe. Where do I find it to re-
> install it?

Anonymous
September 21, 2004 1:53:25 AM

The following assumes you have an actual XP CD as opposed to a restore CD or
restore partition supplied by your PC manufacturer.

Go to Start, type sfc /scannow in the run box and press enter. Note, there
is a space between sfc and the forward slash. You will be asked for your XP
CD. Be aware, upon inserting the CD the XP setup screen may appear, this is
not a part of sfc /scannow, rather it is being invoked by autorun. Simply
minimize the screen and allow sfc to continue.

If the above fails to resolve the issue, try a repair install as follows:

Be sure you are well backed up in case there is a problem from which you are
unable to recover. NOTE, while a repair install should leave your data
files intact, if something goes wrong during the repair install, you may be
forced to start over and do a clean install of XP. If you don't have your
data backed up, you would lose your data should that eventuality occur.

Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive, boot with the XP
CD in the drive. If it isn't or you are not sure, you need to enter the
system's BIOS. When you boot the system, the first screen usually has
instructions that if you wish to enter setup press a specific key, when you
see that, do so. Then you will have to navigate to the boot sequence, if
the CD-ROM drive is not first line, set it first in the boot sequence. Save
your settings and exit with the XP CD in the drive. The system will reboot.

Boot from the CD. If your system is set to be able to boot from the CD, it
should detect the disk and give a brief message, during the boot up, if you
wish to boot from the CD press any key.

Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
using the Recovery console.

The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
on, follow the screens.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User