High Contrast

I seem to have uninstalled this accessibility tool and
can't find it on the Add Programme. Please help
11 answers Last reply
More about high contrast

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/tips/mag2.mspx

    "Linda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I seem to have uninstalled this accessibility tool and
    > can't find it on the Add Programme. Please help

    Ta but this link did not work. Could not be found. More
    help please

    Just tried the link here - again. Works just fine. Try a copy/paste into
    your browser's address bar making sure you get all the address>

    > Ta but this link did not work. Could not be found. More
    > help please

    Ok I turned off my pop blocker got the link but it
    doesn't tell me how to reinstall the High Contrast option
    which is no longer available as an option. I can't find
    it on the XP cd or on my hard drive.

    PS its not available on Add/Remove Programmes

    Hi, Anonymous.

    Accessibility Options should be the first item in Control Panel, NOT in Add
    or Remove Programs. On the Accessibility Options page, click the Display
    tab, then check the box for Use High Contrast. Then click the Settings
    button for a list of many options.

    If you still can't find it, you may need to run the System File Checker to
    restore the necessary files from your on-disk cache or from your WinXP
    CD-ROM.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    > PS its not available on Add/Remove Programmes

    The display tab has gone so I will try tosearch for the
    necessary files but I could not recognise the neccessary
    files either on XP cd or hard drive Please tell me what
    to look for Thanx

    Ok what is and how do I use System File Checker

    More Info I get the message can not find
    C:\windows\system32\accwiz.exe. Where do I find it to re-
    install it?

    I don't know if the stand-alone file will do you what you need - but I've
    stored it on one of the web storage sites I manage.

    http://darienart.com/accwiz/

    Right click on it and Save As

    Save it into your C:\windows\system32 folder and give it a try

    > More Info I get the message can not find
    > C:\windows\system32\accwiz.exe. Where do I find it to re-
    > install it?

    The following assumes you have an actual XP CD as opposed to a restore CD or
    restore partition supplied by your PC manufacturer.

    Go to Start, type sfc /scannow in the run box and press enter. Note, there
    is a space between sfc and the forward slash. You will be asked for your XP
    CD. Be aware, upon inserting the CD the XP setup screen may appear, this is
    not a part of sfc /scannow, rather it is being invoked by autorun. Simply
    minimize the screen and allow sfc to continue.

    If the above fails to resolve the issue, try a repair install as follows:

    Be sure you are well backed up in case there is a problem from which you are
    unable to recover. NOTE, while a repair install should leave your data
    files intact, if something goes wrong during the repair install, you may be
    forced to start over and do a clean install of XP. If you don't have your
    data backed up, you would lose your data should that eventuality occur.

    Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive, boot with the XP
    CD in the drive. If it isn't or you are not sure, you need to enter the
    system's BIOS. When you boot the system, the first screen usually has
    instructions that if you wish to enter setup press a specific key, when you
    see that, do so. Then you will have to navigate to the boot sequence, if
    the CD-ROM drive is not first line, set it first in the boot sequence. Save
    your settings and exit with the XP CD in the drive. The system will reboot.

    Boot from the CD. If your system is set to be able to boot from the CD, it
    should detect the disk and give a brief message, during the boot up, if you
    wish to boot from the CD press any key.

    Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
    asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
    wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
    setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

    Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
    with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
    using the Recovery console.

    The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
    press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
    will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
    version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
    install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
    on, follow the screens.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User