Where's Pocket PC 2003 on my CD?

November 10, 2004 11:17:52 AM

I just bought a CD that says Pocket PC 2003 Premium w/Outlook 2002 on the
official sticker that's on the plastic case. I would deduct from that
phrase that Pocket PC 2003 was on the CD. I insterted it and it says I can
install Outlook 2002 and ActiveSync 3.7 but doesn't mention Pocket PC 2003.
Am I missing something??

More about : pocket 2003

Anonymous
November 10, 2004 2:33:15 PM

In article <Q8kkd.6633$z_4.3536@trnddc07>, Nottoman says...
> I just bought a CD that says Pocket PC 2003 Premium w/Outlook 2002 on the
> official sticker that's on the plastic case. I would deduct from that
> phrase that Pocket PC 2003 was on the CD. I insterted it and it says I can
> install Outlook 2002 and ActiveSync 3.7 but doesn't mention Pocket PC 2003.
> Am I missing something??

Yeah, a PDA that its installed on.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 6:44:26 PM

Yes, I have an iPAQ with Pocket PC 2002 on it.
I bought the CD to upgrade from Pocket PC 2002 to Pocket PC 2003. Wouldn't
the description lead me to believe that's what was on the CD?

"Nottoman" <nottoman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I just bought a CD that says Pocket PC 2003 Premium w/Outlook 2002 on the
> official sticker that's on the plastic case. I would deduct from that
> phrase that Pocket PC 2003 was on the CD. I insterted it and it says I
can
> install Outlook 2002 and ActiveSync 3.7 but doesn't mention Pocket PC
2003.
> Am I missing something??

Related resources
November 10, 2004 7:50:50 PM

Nottoman wrote:
> Yes, I have an iPAQ with Pocket PC 2002 on it.
> I bought the CD to upgrade from Pocket PC 2002 to Pocket PC 2003.
> Wouldn't the description lead me to believe that's what was on the CD?
>

> "Nottoman" <nottoman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I just bought a CD that says Pocket PC 2003 Premium w/Outlook 2002
>> on the official sticker that's on the plastic case. I would deduct
>> from that phrase that Pocket PC 2003 was on the CD. I insterted it
>> and it says I can install Outlook 2002 and ActiveSync 3.7 but
>> doesn't mention Pocket PC 2003. Am I missing something??

Yes, check your packaging. There should be a PDA in it somewhere. The CD is
only (properly) sold with a PDA.

Martin
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 8:14:16 PM

I'm sure it came with a PDA, but at least I would appreciate some sympathy
:)  concerning the fact that the description of the CD is SCREWED UP!
Thanks

"Martin" <martin@scotland.org> wrote in message
> Nottoman wrote:
> > Yes, I have an iPAQ with Pocket PC 2002 on it.
> > I bought the CD to upgrade from Pocket PC 2002 to Pocket PC 2003.
> > Wouldn't the description lead me to believe that's what was on the CD?
> >

> > "Nottoman" <nottoman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I just bought a CD that says Pocket PC 2003 Premium w/Outlook 2002
> >> on the official sticker that's on the plastic case. I would deduct
> >> from that phrase that Pocket PC 2003 was on the CD. I insterted it
> >> and it says I can install Outlook 2002 and ActiveSync 3.7 but
> >> doesn't mention Pocket PC 2003. Am I missing something??
>
> Yes, check your packaging. There should be a PDA in it somewhere. The CD
is
> only (properly) sold with a PDA.
>
> Martin

Anonymous
November 10, 2004 8:35:05 PM

It is the OS which is already installed in you PPC. You may the version in 'Control Panel'.

On 11/10/2004 4:17 PM, Nottoman wrote:
> I just bought a CD that says Pocket PC 2003 Premium w/Outlook 2002 on the
> official sticker that's on the plastic case. I would deduct from that
> phrase that Pocket PC 2003 was on the CD. I insterted it and it says I can
> install Outlook 2002 and ActiveSync 3.7 but doesn't mention Pocket PC 2003.
> Am I missing something??

Anonymous
November 10, 2004 8:35:06 PM

Well, it is not located on your cd, only applications reside on the cd. The
actual OS is burned into your ROM on your pocketPC. This beacuse there is
only one license(oem). If you want an OS cd you have to buy it.

/Pether
"Simon Wong" <sw228hk@gmail.com> wrote in message
> It is the OS which is already installed in you PPC. You may the version in
> 'Control Panel'.
>
> On 11/10/2004 4:17 PM, Nottoman wrote:
>> I just bought a CD that says Pocket PC 2003 Premium w/Outlook 2002 on
>> the
>> official sticker that's on the plastic case. I would deduct from that
>> phrase that Pocket PC 2003 was on the CD. I insterted it and it says I
>> can
>> install Outlook 2002 and ActiveSync 3.7 but doesn't mention Pocket PC
>> 2003.
>> Am I missing something??

Anonymous
November 10, 2004 10:16:03 PM

That last line implies you can by the OS on CD. For PPC that is not true.
You can only get the OS on a PPC. The OEM is obliged to provide you the
license for what they burned into the ROM, hence the license sticker on the
CD that comes with the PPC with supporting files.

In some cases you can get an upgrade CD, but that will only work to upgrade
a PPC with an existing OS on it. Even those are device specific, and not
every OEM has released upgrades for every device or every OS.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Who" <who@who.com> wrote in message
news:o xeQBvwxEHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Well, it is not located on your cd, only applications reside on the cd.
The
> actual OS is burned into your ROM on your pocketPC. This beacuse there is
> only one license(oem). If you want an OS cd you have to buy it.
>
> /Pether
> "Simon Wong" <sw228hk@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > It is the OS which is already installed in you PPC. You may the version
in
> > 'Control Panel'.
> >
> > On 11/10/2004 4:17 PM, Nottoman wrote:
> >> I just bought a CD that says Pocket PC 2003 Premium w/Outlook 2002 on
> >> the
> >> official sticker that's on the plastic case. I would deduct from that
> >> phrase that Pocket PC 2003 was on the CD. I insterted it and it says I
> >> can
> >> install Outlook 2002 and ActiveSync 3.7 but doesn't mention Pocket PC
> >> 2003.
> >> Am I missing something??

Anonymous
November 10, 2004 10:27:43 PM

"Nottoman" <nottoman@hotmail.com> wrote in news:I%rkd.3259$w.2342
@trnddc02:

> I'm sure it came with a PDA, but at least I would appreciate some
sympathy
>:)  concerning the fact that the description of the CD is SCREWED UP!
> Thanks

I think your reading screwed you up.

I checked with the original CD which came with my PDA, and that states
clearly that it only contains supporting software which can be used in
combination with a PPC which operates under Windows CE 2003. It states
nowhere that this OS is or even should be on the CD.

So you'd better be a little bit more careful before you buy anything else
and start yelling at the wrong people..... and no, you won't get any pity
from me like this.

--
SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
I'm only human too)
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 8:45:11 AM

When it's sealed in a plastic cover with an official COA on it the says
Pocket PC 2003 Premium, you wouldn't think that's what it is? Who are you
the Amazing Kreskin? Yes when I opened it and the CD and it only listed
Outlook and ActiveSyn I was worried, but I bought it new, sealed. My point
is the labeling is inaccurate.
If when my Office CD say Office 2000 Premium, I expect Office to be on it
and it is. Savvy? No, you just want to be a hardnose and you've done a
fine job. It probably relates to you being locked in a closet when you were
young possibly. Sorry about that. Honest..

"SoftSpot" <softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Nottoman" <nottoman@hotmail.com> wrote in news:I%rkd.3259$w.2342
> @trnddc02:
>

> > I'm sure it came with a PDA, but at least I would appreciate some
> sympathy
> >:)  concerning the fact that the description of the CD is SCREWED UP!
> > Thanks
> >

> I think your reading screwed you up.
>
> I checked with the original CD which came with my PDA, and that states
> clearly that it only contains supporting software which can be used in
> combination with a PPC which operates under Windows CE 2003. It states
> nowhere that this OS is or even should be on the CD.
>
> So you'd better be a little bit more careful before you buy anything else
> and start yelling at the wrong people..... and no, you won't get any pity
> from me like this.
>
> --
> SoftSpot
> softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
> "Tomorrow it may get better, but it will never be allright."
> (Cornelis Vreeswijk)
>
> (just remove the spamstatement
> and one underscore
> to respond personally,
> but please keep it friendly,
> I'm only human too)

Anonymous
November 11, 2004 8:46:43 AM

Thank you, very informative. Having worked with PC software quite a bit,
it's clear there is a difference when it comes to OS's on PPC's. I'm
enlightened.

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> That last line implies you can by the OS on CD. For PPC that is not true.
> You can only get the OS on a PPC. The OEM is obliged to provide you the
> license for what they burned into the ROM, hence the license sticker on
the
> CD that comes with the PPC with supporting files.
>
> In some cases you can get an upgrade CD, but that will only work to
upgrade
> a PPC with an existing OS on it. Even those are device specific, and not
> every OEM has released upgrades for every device or every OS.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "Who" <who@who.com> wrote in message
> news:o xeQBvwxEHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > Well, it is not located on your cd, only applications reside on the cd.
> The
> > actual OS is burned into your ROM on your pocketPC. This beacuse there
is
> > only one license(oem). If you want an OS cd you have to buy it.
> >
> > /Pether
> > "Simon Wong" <sw228hk@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > It is the OS which is already installed in you PPC. You may the
version
> in
> > > 'Control Panel'.

Anonymous
November 11, 2004 8:49:23 PM

"Nottoman" <nottoman@hotmail.com> wrote in news:H%Ckd.12964$z_4.1240
@trnddc07:

> No, you just want to be a hardnose and you've done a
> fine job. It probably relates to you being locked in a closet when you
were
> young possibly. Sorry about that. Honest..

1. Check out first who started the shouting and yelling here.... Not me.
If you want to see who, just take a look in the mirror.
2. I reacted with "I checked with the original CD which came with my PDA,
and that states clearly that it only contains supporting software "...
Now if that is a reason to start yelling at me.... OK, go ahead. I never
saw your CD, neither did you tell in the OP that you bought it somewhere
secondhand and incomplete.... The CD is incomplete without the PPC, it
isn't ment to be sold separately. So if you feel pissed off and want to
yell, start yelling at the person who sold you the thing, for he is the
one who ripped you off. Not me, nor Microsoft.
3. Don't bother to react on this reaction, I don't intend to read it
anyway. As far as I am concerned this "discussion" is closed. If it ever
was a discussion.

--

!