WP8 Device Pre-Orders Commence at Best Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Honest question, does anyone here actually know someone with a Windows based phone. I know I don't everyone has an Android or Iphone.

Wouldn't mind seeing what Windows 8 phones are like now I had a windows mobile based phone before Android was around, it was quite good for what it was back than. Though I don't believe I have ever seen one, even in stores.

Leopardos

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Cant wait :)
Im soooo going to buy it...
Sound promising for me with all the features ... the Phone and OS since i work with MS servers !

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]assasin32[/nom]Honest question, does anyone here actually know someone with a Windows based phone. I know I don't everyone has an Android or Iphone.Wouldn't mind seeing what Windows 8 phones are like now I had a windows mobile based phone before Android was around, it was quite good for what it was back than. Though I don't believe I have ever seen one, even in stores.[/citation]
I'm with you at least part of the way. I upgraded my phone from an Omnia SCH-i910 to a DROID RAZR MAXX. Literally the difference was night and day and I felt like I was getting ripped off for data plans. There's no comparison in what my old phone could do and what my new phone can. When I upgraded, I kept in mind the amount of apps available for iPhones and Androids. I hate Apple, so it was Android for me. I wasn't aware of any sort of Appstore for the Windows Phone 7.5 at the time. I will say this, though. It looks like Windows Phone buttons are more user friendly for those with big fingers. That would've been a plus for me, although there are Windows 7 (soon 8) based themes available for Adroid phones.

Windows 8 should stay on Phones, Tablets and Touchscreen PCs (like HP TouchSmarts). The way it's set up is completely not user-friendly. I almost wonder if Microsoft is trying to do away with the keyboard and mouse in future releases of Windows.

unionoob

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
[citation][nom]assasin32[/nom]Honest question, does anyone here actually know someone with a Windows based phone. I know I don't everyone has an Android or Iphone.Wouldn't mind seeing what Windows 8 phones are like now I had a windows mobile based phone before Android was around, it was quite good for what it was back than. Though I don't believe I have ever seen one, even in stores.[/citation]

I know one person with Lumia 800, and got to try it for 1 day and gotta say, phone was very good, fast and easy to use. Since then I am thinking to upgrade my Samsung I9000 to an WP.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

I've played around with WinMobile 6 phones at work, they are alright, it does what it's intended to do: Make phone calls =P

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I wasn't aware of any sort of Appstore for the Windows Phone 7.5 at the time. [/citation]

The moment you plugged your phone into a pc you should have been prompted to install Zune. That's the store or on the phone itself?

[nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Windows 8 should stay on Phones, Tablets and Touchscreen PCs (like HP TouchSmarts). The way it's set up is completely not user-friendly.[/citation]

Tell that to my home computers and work laptop... none have touch screens. Even a three year old can use the 'Modern UI'.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
No Instagram, Pandora and lack of ability to connect a controller to play games are just some examples of why i decided that im going to get a S3. To bad that every phone now only uses HDMI to ouput video, kinda sucks because my SUV only has RCA input :( I play a lot of games and watch Netflix during lunch at work. Sure there are alternatives to Pandora, thats not what im talking about. I want officially supported apps not work around apps. Also, the IGN app is probably the worst app ever on the WP7.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]"Even a three year old can use the 'Modern UI'. "That's the problem, most of us computer users are not three year olds...... >_>[/citation]

The problem is that even on a tech enthusiast website, the majority of posters/readers are idiots with zero whose computer skills amount to using Word and surfing the internet (you know bankers/real estate people/ that sort of thing). Real enthusiasts will have no problem using Windows 8.

I think about 1/2 the Windows 8 haters are simply Apple Trolls who recognize that MS is now ahead of Apple by having one operating system that works well on any device.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I know 2 people with windows 7 phones now and are very happy with them. I know way more people at least interested in windows 8 phones.

[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]Im getting one!!!!!!Whats that you say? AT&T only????Well better luck next time.[/citation]
^This.

Can't believe that a phone company that's struggling is still closing these exclusivity deals, instead of launching the phone at the same time on all major carriers.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I wasn't aware of any sort of Appstore for the Windows Phone 7.5 at the time.[/citation]Are you serious? You can't spend 5 seconds on a search engine? You probably didn't even know half the crap your old phone could do. If you're trolling, at least try to be more of a blatant one.
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]^This.Can't believe that a phone company that's struggling is still closing these exclusivity deals, instead of launching the phone at the same time on all major carriers.[/citation]Verizon themselves are the biggest problem, and I say this as a Verizon customer. They only carried one WP7 model, and it was only mediocre in terms of hardware. That's not because of the device manufacturers refusing to sell phones to Verizon.

They refused to properly display and promote WP7.x. If you could even find the HTC Trophy, it was most likely a non-functional display model - worthless! Their salespeople are clueless about it. If you ask they'll just tell you "Oh just get such and such Android or an iPhone". As far as exclusivity goes, the 920 is "exclusive" to AT&T for a limited time, just like the 820. But just as there is an 822 in the works, there's no reason they couldn't have a 922 or similar for Verizon.

On top of this, you need CDMA radio support in the phone. So it's not a straight rebadge job even if the device isn't exclusive. So why build a phone specifically for Verizon when they'll do everything possible to make sure it never is shown off to customers? Hopefully this changes with WP8. They're supposed to throw in a lot more support and weight behind it, and maybe even get some decent devices. But recently they've been whining about the lack of backdoor access, which makes me a bit concerned.

If only AT&T got better reception around here.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]"Even a three year old can use the 'Modern UI'. "That's the problem, most of us computer users are not three year olds...... >_>[/citation]You're right, most are less competent and far less adaptable. Just install DOSbox and set it up to launch in fullscreen mode on startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.