The Intel Conroe is 49% faster than AMD FX60

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
Well, if you where wondering what to purchase when Intel's Conroe chip is released, have a read of this.... The first CPU being released on with the new Conroe core is the server product 'Woodcrest', aka Xeon 5100. Official benchmarks for this CPU have appeared on the net and they make for interesting reading tbh. The following results are direct from www.tpc.org...

Dual CPU Intel Conroe system (HP ML370 G5) scores 169,360 TPM

Dual CPU AMD Opteron 285 (aka Athlon FX60) (HP DL385) scores 113,628 TPM

So there you have it folks, in an official benchmark that’s recognised by the industry to be 100% pukka, the Conroe is 49% faster than the fastest currently available AMD CPU!!!!!

Anyone out there still thinking of purchasing an AMD CPU any time soon...

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Well, if you where wondering what to purchase when Intel's Conroe chip is released, have a read of this.... The first CPU being released on with the new Conroe core is the server product 'Woodcrest', aka Xeon 5100. Official benchmarks for this CPU have appeared on the net and they make for interesting reading tbh. The following results are direct from www.tpc.org...

So there you have it folks, in an official benchmark that’s recognised by the industry to be 100% pukka, the Conroe is 49% faster than the fastest currently available AMD CPU!!!!!

Are you an Idiot? "Woodcrest", aka Xeon 5100 This Is'nt Conroe. Woodcrest is "server " and Conroe is "desktop" and Memrom is "Mobile"
Their Different Products. And an Opteron 285 is'nt a FX-60 their chips have been manufactured differently for diffrent porpuses With same Core and Arctectures. God get your Woodcrest and Conroe facts straight. OMG! bump this post it's completely stating false information from "jamesgoddard"s part atleast and it's just Intel fan boy ignorance

mad_fitzy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
OMG!!! Another post without adequate research. The 2xx series of opterons are for dual processing therefore requiring a server type mobo requiring ECC Regestered modules being slower than good low latency DDR Ram that the FX60 uses.

The Hyundai Sonata comes with a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty whereas the Volkswagen Golf only comes with a 4 year/48,000 mile warranty.

What does this have to do with the subject of this thread? Absolutely nothing. Why? Because this is another flame starting BS thread.

I know let's compare apples to oranges...or how about cats and dogs...maybe even smooth or chunky peanut butter...

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
The Hyundai Sonata comes with a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty whereas the Volkswagen Golf only comes with a 4 year/48,000 mile warranty.

What does this have to do with the subject of this thread? Absolutely nothing. Why? Because this is another flame starting BS thread.

I know let's compare apples to oranges...or how about cats and dogs...maybe even smooth or chunky peanut butter...

huh what are you on... I post a hard fact base comparison of a 3GHz Conroe and an AMD FX60 and you all go bonkers! OK I admit memory etc may have some effect on the result, but not 49%... And if anything the Intel CPU is more castrated byt he memory it is using by being based on a super high latency FB DIMM system....

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Seriously, take a look at the System Availability : 11/22/06 and the cost : 469,122 US $, it's easy to find a cheaper four way DC Opteron system that outperforms this two way DC Woodcrest such as the HP ProLiant DL585-G1/2.6GHz or the HP ProLiant DL585-G1/2.2GHz, on top of that, both those systems are available NOW, not 6 months down the road...

So yeah, good find but the performance/price is'nt there, that's a big factor when blowing almost half a million in hardware.

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Yo fanboi

My mom told me that if I can't say something nice, i shouldn't say anything at all.

My dad told me that if I don't know what I'm talking about, to STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8O

I suggest you follow the second.

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
Seriously, take a look at the System Availability : 11/22/06 and the cost : 469,122 US $, it's easy to find a cheaper four way DC Opteron system that outperforms this two way DC Woodcrest such as the HP ProLiant DL585-G1/2.6GHz or the HP ProLiant DL585-G1/2.2GHz, on top of that, both those systems are available NOW, not 6 months down the road...

So yeah, good find but the performance/price is'nt there, that's a big factor when blowing almost half a million in hardware.

Spoke to my HP reseller and he said I can have one delivered at the start of July, so the release date is wrong. As to the price, whenever they do the TPM benchmarks they go silly on disk IO thus making sure it is not a bottleneck, the end result is near pure CPU performance, so don't read anything into the price.

only_me

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006

i like chunky peanut butter, apples are best and i think cats are better than dogs. The VW's are always a rip off and aren't as great as people think they are.

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
With all the "Conroe beats AM2" and "Intel vs. AMD" threads there are out, I don't blame YO_KID37 for telling him that he STILL got it wrong.

No offence but even if he didn't read them there has been so many articles out as well. Somewhere he must have read at least one of them...

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Well, should be interesting. Intel has a good processor finally for the server market.... but still a shared FSB. So it is good in some implementations.... and sub par in others.... maybe next year they will ahve fixed the problem with that.... but next year I wonder what AMD will answer with....

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
plus any other number of changes in the arch which I don't really care to list at the moment. Just got home from work, and going to sleep.... sooo tired.... long night.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002

Spoke to my HP reseller and he said I can have one delivered at the start of July, so the release date is wrong. As to the price, whenever they do the TPM benchmarks they go silly on disk IO thus making sure it is not a bottleneck, the end result is near pure CPU performance, so don't read anything into the price.

If they can't get the release date right and go spending three time as much on HDDs as the actual cost of the machine itself, why would the benchmarks and performance/price be an accurate representation of the CPU processing power under a standard use (what PCs and workstations are used for 99% of the time) ? Seems to me that they're benching ridiculously expensive storage systems here, not CPUs.

So, what you're saying boils down to : "Hey ! Look how fast this Woodcrest is when you spend 350K on 22 Petabytes worth of storage to run a test that simulate a workload that only an infinestimal fraction of computers will ever see", we're light years away from real world performance under typical loads and HDD configurations.

Regardless, I'm more impressed with the storage arrays here, it's obvious that the CPU/MEM/Mobo are not the focus as far as this test is concerned.

Panzerzero

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
:evil: Why lie and make up this post. Get the facts then post not post and hope no one checks you facts. You have a great future as a Lawyer.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

So just whip out the lotion and leave us to our SLOW AMD chips. Everyone knows that Woodcrest may help in 1 and 2 way, but AMD still owns 4-8way TPC-H. MAybe you should look at the Netburst Xeon vs. Opteron in Apache and MySQL. Opteron won by 4X in alot of cases so I'll wait for all the server benchmarks before I applaud Intel.

In some cases it takes 4 Xeons to beat 2 Opterons. I hope Intel makes it interesting but you are one of Otellinis girlfriends the way you talk.

Read this and tell me if they really caught up.

Opteron Power

accord99

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004
So just whip out the lotion and leave us to our SLOW AMD chips. Everyone knows that Woodcrest may help in 1 and 2 way, but AMD still owns 4-8way TPC-H.
TPC-H isn't that important, you can tell from the limited number of submissions. TPC-C is more important, and with Woodcrest, Intel-based systems will own 2S to go along with the lead that current Xeon MPs already have from 4S-16S.