Migrating applications from emVB 3.0 to Windows CE.NET 4.2

November 10, 2004 4:13:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded.vb,microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I'm perhaps some late...

I have developed applications in Pocket PC2002/2003 environment with
emVB 3.0.

Does anybody know if I can migrate these over to (let them run under)
Windows CE .NET 4.2?

I have searched for an SDK that may let my emVB applications work
under CE.NET 4.2 but I couldn't find it.

What do I have to get in order to convert the applications I have
developed into a CE-NET-4.2-compatible format?

Thanks,
Taliesyn
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 12:55:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded.vb,microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

CE 4.2 doesn't support eVB.

--
<ctacke/>
www.OpenNETCF.org

"Taliesyn" <ingegneriainformatica@bolbusiness.it> wrote in message
> I'm perhaps some late...
>
> I have developed applications in Pocket PC2002/2003 environment with
> emVB 3.0.
>
> Does anybody know if I can migrate these over to (let them run under)
> Windows CE .NET 4.2?
>
> I have searched for an SDK that may let my emVB applications work
> under CE.NET 4.2 but I couldn't find it.
>
> What do I have to get in order to convert the applications I have
> developed into a CE-NET-4.2-compatible format?
>
> Thanks,
> Taliesyn
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 3:02:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded.vb,microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Thanks a lot.

So there's no way (even paying) to adapt my emVB 3.0 applications for
Pocket PC 2002/2003 into a Windows CE NET 4.2 environment?

Taliesyn

"Chris Tacke, eMVP" <ctacke@spamfree-opennetcf.org> wrote in message news:<O6uHaVzxEHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
> CE 4.2 doesn't support eVB.
>
> --
> <ctacke/>
> www.OpenNETCF.org
> Your CF searches start and end here
November 16, 2004 11:28:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded.vb,microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Microsoft does not support execution of eVB 3.0 applications on vanilla
Windows CE.NET 4.2 devices. The only supported 4.x-based devices are
PPC2003s. Sure, you might be able to hack together something that would
work, but it's a hack, no matter how you look at it.

Paul T.

> Thanks a lot.
>
> So there's no way (even paying) to adapt my emVB 3.0 applications for
> Pocket PC 2002/2003 into a Windows CE NET 4.2 environment?
>
> Taliesyn
>

> "Chris Tacke, eMVP" <ctacke@spamfree-opennetcf.org> wrote in message
>> CE 4.2 doesn't support eVB.
>>
>> --
>> <ctacke/>
>> www.OpenNETCF.org
>> Your CF searches start and end here
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 3:09:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded.vb,microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Well I imagine if you paid MS some really crazy amount of cash they'd
probably license eVB itself to you and you could do whatever you want, but
unless you're looking to invest a few million dollars in the project I can't
imagine it's even worth the time pursuing it and you'd still not get any
device support from OEMs. It's probably less expensive to just move with
the technology.

--
<ctacke/>
www.OpenNETCF.org
Your CF searches start and end here

"Taliesyn" <ingegneriainformatica@bolbusiness.it> wrote in message
> Thanks a lot.
>
> So there's no way (even paying) to adapt my emVB 3.0 applications for
> Pocket PC 2002/2003 into a Windows CE NET 4.2 environment?
>
> Taliesyn
>

> "Chris Tacke, eMVP" <ctacke@spamfree-opennetcf.org> wrote in message
>> CE 4.2 doesn't support eVB.
>>
>> --
>> <ctacke/>
>> www.OpenNETCF.org
>> Your CF searches start and end here
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 5:21:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded.vb,microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Ok guys...

I'll face the reality then.

Maybe it's... nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of
outrageous... system-changes... ^_^

Thanks to all.
Taliesyn

"Chris Tacke, eMVP" <ctacke@spamfree-opennetcf.org> wrote in message news:<#2tI67$yEHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> Well I imagine if you paid MS some really crazy amount of cash they'd
> probably license eVB itself to you and you could do whatever you want, but
> unless you're looking to invest a few million dollars in the project I can't
> imagine it's even worth the time pursuing it and you'd still not get any
> device support from OEMs. It's probably less expensive to just move with
> the technology.
>
> --
> <ctacke/>
> www.OpenNETCF.org
> Your CF searches start and end here

Anonymous
November 17, 2004 5:24:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded.vb,microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hey hey... I was just checking it out...

I see how it is now, thank you for your help.

Taliesyn

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <ptobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT com> wrote in message news:<eLKuiD$yEHA.3588@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>...
> Microsoft does not support execution of eVB 3.0 applications on vanilla
> Windows CE.NET 4.2 devices. The only supported 4.x-based devices are
> PPC2003s. Sure, you might be able to hack together something that would
> work, but it's a hack, no matter how you look at it.
>
> Paul T.

Anonymous
November 17, 2004 1:38:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded.vb,microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In some simple cases, I've done this... it can be a long journey but I
found it easier than a rewrite for my stuff. You'll need VB6 as a
stepping stone. Perhaps others can comment on this method (especially
point 5, which I think is a pain).

Depending on the number of third party ActiveX controls and whether or
not you are using ADOCE, you may find this more difficult than the
project is worth.

1. Copy the .frm and .bas files from the EVB project into a new
folder, edit the .frm files in Notepad replacing VBCE.ControlName with
VB.ControlName where appropriate, and create a VB6 project using the
new forms and modules. You've essentially upsized the project to a
desktop app.

2. Fix all the compilation bugs that will pop up. If you're using
ADOCE or other third-party controls, take appropriate action (I
usually comment them out or change them to Objects instead of the
typed class).

3. Run the VB6 to VB.Net converter, and fix all the compilation bugs
in the .NET generated project.

4. Finally, create a Smart Device project in VS.NET and copy your new
..vb source files into it. You'll need to remove a lot of stuff from
the InitializeComponent sub and various other places because the set
of methods/properties that the Compact Framework supports is smaller
than the full desktop Framework.

5. If you're relying on ADOCE, you'll need to convert your code to use
SQL Server CE instead. Also, you'll have to find .NET equivalents of
any other external ActiveX controls you're using.

Hope that helps,
RobertC

!