X800 GTO Power hookup?

spiritbreaker22

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Hi Guys,

I have seen some postings in the past about issues regarding X800 GTO but they don't answer my question so I hope someone knows from experience.

I just bought a new, retail X800 GTO PCI-e card and have installed it and it is running fine. However, I am skeptical, because the box says a 6-pin power connector is required (which I have on my SLI comp. PSU). The issue is I have looked all over the card for the connector and cannot find one. Although there is a spot on the fab where the footprint of what looked like the spot for the connector was in an earlier version.

Is it possible that the version of the card that I have doesn't need the external power? And/or is it just the AGP version of the card that needs the power and the box text was just carried over in error? I have also checked the ATI website and it sucks. Basically saying if you should plug in the card then please do that (no help).

spiritbreaker22

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I have an update. I did a lot more poking around and from what I can find, the X800 that comes with the required power adapter (6pin) is only on the GTO2 model. I am not sure why this is the case unless it has to do with the OC capability of the GTO2 vs the GTO?

If anyone can add some insight it would be appreciated.
Thanks

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Depends on the card manufacturer.

There were 4 versions of the GTO depending on the GPU they used and the lifecycle it was introduced.

Each core might require a 6-pin while others do not. I have a PowerColor which does not have the 6-pin connection and a Connect 3D card that does.