a8n-sli premium - Bad device driver...which?

IMCRAZY

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
I keep getting a bad device driver error. I used the latest but correct chipset drivers, updated XP to the latest version, and use the beta BIOS. I seem to recall a 'notorious' set of drivers I need to avoid. What are the file names for these drivers (so that I can remove them from my windows install disk), what do I do to remove them from my running machine, and what do I replace them with?

trumpets

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
I keep getting a bad device driver error. I used the latest but correct chipset drivers, updated XP to the latest version, and use the beta BIOS. I seem to recall a 'notorious' set of drivers I need to avoid. What are the file names for these drivers (so that I can remove them from my windows install disk), what do I do to remove them from my running machine, and what do I replace them with?

Did you ever find out a solution to this problem? I have the same problem and can't figure out how to fix it. I can't even figure out what driver it is because under device manager all the drivers are in working condition.

thank you,

trumpets

halcyon

Splendid

Did you ever find out a solution to this problem? I have the same problem and can't figure out how to fix it. I can't even figure out what driver it is because under device manager all the drivers are in working condition.

thank you,

trumpets

I'd consider the following:

1) Step closer into the light...and out of the beta bios (at least while troubleshooting, you should be able to return to the bleeding edge when all is well)

2) Are you using onboard sound? ...and if so, do you have to? (that may be the culprit)

Is there any indication (or do you know) which device is emitting the "bad device driver" error? Does Windows *appear* to function as prescribed or is there obviously something that feels sick?

IMCRAZY

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
No, my solution was to reformat my drive. I just have the drive, XP sp2, Gigabit drivers and Video drivers. Ghost was giving me fits but I uninstalled it and replaced it with NovaStor. Things seem OK so far but I still need to 'stress' it though by playing BF2 over a LAN / (internet?).

trumpets

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
YES!!!!! I finally found out what is wrong.... it took a couple months but I finally don't get the bad device driver error which makes my computer restart.

I almost gave up on this problem. There were so many possibilities... it could have been a bad driver installed, problem with the motherboard, problem with power supply, problem with bios, problem with video drivers, etc. I have reformated my computer soooooo many times and tried installing the bare minimum.... but this never helped me.

So then what did I do? Well, go to this website and follow the instructions for testing your RAM: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

When I tested mine, I got "FAILED" for all my tests. So since I have 2x 1gig RAM, I took one out and tested again. The tests again said "FAILED". So I take the stick out and place the other one in and ran the test.... it said "PASSED"!!!! So it looks like one of my sticks of RAM was going bad.... which is odd since they are Corsair and I bought them seven months ago (I am glad they have a lifetime warrenty). But since I took the stick of RAM out, I haven't had any problems.

My computer:
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
AMD Athlon64 X2 Dual 3800+
GeForce 7600GT
Windows XP (service pack 2)
RAM: CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model VS1GB400C3
I also have two hard drives set up in RAID

Also, after much research into which RAM is good for this motherboard (and also getting fast RAM) I have ordered the following from Newegg:
OCZ Titanium 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ4002048ELDCTE-K

I will install this RAM by next week and my computer will be better then it has ever been :)

Hope this helps alot of people, because I had no success finding any information about fixing this problem.