Getting New AM2 X2 System, Need Help On VISTA READY V-CARD

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Hi,

I've been waiting for ages to build a new system, and now that the AM2 setup has finally come out, I might as well take the leap. What I dont want to do is buy a great video card now, and then not have it run DirectX 10 in early 2007 when Vista comes out. I'd like to take full advantage of Vista's capabilities.

What does the roadmap look like for these DirectX 10 cards? Are there any out? If not, how long will I have to wait. Will they be a hardware upgrade, or could you just do it with a patch with an existing Nvidia card?

Thanks Guys. :lol:

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Ignore Ycon and dvdpiddy, they're fanboys.

As far as DX10 goes you can't patch your existing graphics card to DX10 spec, unfortunately.

I would reccommend holding out on both, AM2 is going to be expensive and probably not as fast as 939 for a while yet.

If you still go for AM2, then get a mid-range card so you don't lose out when it comes to upgrading to a DX10 compat card.

Bear in mind that you'll still be able to run games with a DX9 card even after DX10.

cleeve

Illustrious
Any new Dx9 card will run Vista.

but if you want to run games that require DirectX 10, you'll need new DirectX 10 class hardware when the time comes.

I wouldn't buy an AM2 just yet, Conroe is on the way and it looks like a real nice piece of kit...

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
Ignore Ycon and dvdpiddy, they're fanboys.

As far as DX10 goes you can't patch your existing graphics card to DX10 spec, unfortunately.

I would reccommend holding out on both, AM2 is going to be expensive and probably not as fast as 939 for a while yet.

If you still go for AM2, then get a mid-range card so you don't lose out when it comes to upgrading to a DX10 compat card.

Bear in mind that you'll still be able to run games with a DX9 card even after DX10.
Hey i was trying to warn him about Ycon!

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
What time frame are they looking at for DirectX 10 cards to be released?

I could wait for Conroe as it's expected to come out in early July, only 8 weeks away.

Should I get the cheapest v-card to bridge the gap, and then get a nice DirectX 10 card when the time comes?

Thanks. :lol:

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Depends on whether or not you're willing to put up with a substandard video card for the sake of a few $$$. It's not a decision anyone else can help you with I'm afraid.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Who is expected to lead the move to DirectX 10? This would be important as it will determine which mobo I should select, if I wait till Conroe and hope to upgrade to a DirectX 10 card down the road. Thanks!

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
INTERESTING ARTICLE:
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=5692

I didnt know Conroe would be a Socket 975X drop-in?

Something that makes me wonder: Why did Dell agree to use AMD chips in their systems if Intel is expected to release Conroe and others (in about 8 weeks) that will outstrip AMD. Either there will be a delay, or either the performance is not what we expect. Any thoughts?

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Dell did it b/c ibm and hp are kicking the crap out of them in the server market, all b/c they offer opterons. That is what the market wants right now, and dell is trying to answer accordingly.

as for dx10, both Nv and ati will offer them, but who knows which will be first. ati was first on dx9 and dx9b, Nv was first w/ dx9c... ati has the xbox360 architecture ready for pc's whenever they want. It has the unified shader setup that dx10 requires. b/c (i assume) the 360 is already dx10 ready (it would seem stupid for m$ if it wasn't) my guess is that ati will be first. Not that Nv is sitting on their bum and I doubt that ati will catch them off guard like they did w/ the 9700 (first dx9). So whoever is first the other will be right behind as neither can afford the loss in sales.

I would bet we do not see any dx10 until fall/winter when vista is closer. JMO though.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Any new Dx9 card will run Vista.

but if you want to run games that require DirectX 10, you'll need new DirectX 10 class hardware when the time comes.

I wouldn't buy an AM2 just yet, Conroe is on the way and it looks like a real nice piece of kit...
Or, if you can't wait, get a motherboard with the 975 chipset, along with a cheapo Celeron and some nice RAM, and then get Conroe when it comes out. For the video card, get a 7300 or something else cheap to hold you over until the DX10 cards come out.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
The waiting game - isn't it just soooo frustrating. By the time those pieces comes out, AMD would have probably responded with something better. :twisted:

Who knows?

Maybe pull the trigger on a cheap chip and v-vard, with the Conroe 975 compliant mobo, and then wait until mid 2007 to do a Vista and Coroe upgrade. May be a plan! :wink:

ivoryjohn

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
A quick search netted these results (claiming to be the official announced requirements from MS):

Minimum Requirements (Vista-Capable PCs):
800 MHz Intel-compatible processor
512MB of RAM
DirectX 9.0-Capable Graphics Processor
20GB HD

Recommended Requirements (Premium-Ready PCs):
1 GHz Intel-compatible processor
1GB RAM
DirectX 9.0-Capable Graphics Processor, with 128MB graphics memory. (64MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor less than 1,310,720 pixels [no more than 1440x900]; 128MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions from 1,310,720 to 2,304,000 pixels [no more than 1920x1200]; 256MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions higher than 2,304,000 pixels [more than 1920x1200]).
40GB HD with at least 15GB "free space"

What's the difference between the two recommendations? Machines that are only "Vista Capable" can indeed run Vista, but as we reported earlier, those machines will not be able to run the new Aero user interface.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Does anyone know what performance improvement DirectX 10 would be over DirectX 9? Is it worth planning an upgrade based on this factor? 8O