Sign in with
Your question

Installing AMD 64 X2 with stock heatsync/fan?

Last response: in CPUs
May 24, 2006 4:07:20 PM

I just got my new AMD Athlon 64 X2 yesterday and I was looking at the stock heatsync fan that came with it.

Yes, I'm going to use the stock fan for a while. I promise I'll change it out sometime soon.

Anyway, the bottom of the heatsync has the grey pad of conductive material on it and the package didn't come with any thermal grease. I have a thing of Arctic Silver 5.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...

What should I do?
May 24, 2006 4:17:00 PM

Up to you, either you scrape off and clean the pad off the heatsink and apply some AS5 or you mount the heatsink as-is and rely on the pad to do its job.

Whatever you do, do not apply AS5 on the pad, you'll end up with an ineffective mess.
May 24, 2006 4:41:42 PM

It works fine with the stuff they put on!!!!! I would use what came with it!!!!
Don't scrape anything off. If you want it to run cooler than buy after market fan!
Related resources
May 24, 2006 5:25:19 PM

Quote:
I just got my new AMD Athlon 64 X2 yesterday and I was looking at the stock heatsync fan that came with it.

Yes, I'm going to use the stock fan for a while. I promise I'll change it out sometime soon.

Anyway, the bottom of the heatsync has the grey pad of conductive material on it and the package didn't come with any thermal grease. I have a thing of Arctic Silver 5.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...

What should I do?

Just leave that on the HSF and attach it to the CPU. I got a retail X2 with the big hSF. It works fine for moderate OC.
May 24, 2006 5:43:59 PM

Quote:
Don't scrape anything off. If you want it to run cooler than buy after market fan!

Considering that he already got AS5, I don't see any reason why he should not be using it.

Beside, no!!! need!!! to!!! be!!! that!!! expressive!!! it's!!! just!!! as!!! annoying!!! as!!! going!!! allcaps!!!
May 24, 2006 6:02:14 PM

I agree, if you have as5 go ahead and use it. just make sure you get all the stock stuff off ot the sink. I you are lazy just leave it as-is and enjoy the proc. I was lazy on mine and left it on there. runs great w/ a 200mhz oc and no temp diffs from stock speeds.

!!!lol!!!
a c 143 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 24, 2006 6:03:57 PM

I've used the stock heat sink and fan on both of my rigs (one in my sig; the other is a 3200+). The sig-rig rarely gets over 42c, and is usually <40c. I have not overclocked. If you are going to overclock by any significant amount, then you probably want a 3rd party cooler anyway. Replacing the existing pad with AS-5 may make a tiny difference, but not enough to be worthwhile (2c-5c maybe). I'm not sure I have any reason to bother replacing my stock cooler unless the fan fails, as it doesn't seem particularly loud.
May 25, 2006 3:53:41 PM

Quote:

I think I'll go with this opinion!!!!!!! Since it has the most exclamation marks, it must be the best one!!!!!

Thanks guys. Last night I scraped off the pad (very easy) and cleaned it up with some alcohol. Now I'm debating if I want to get involved with sanding it to a ultra smooth finish before installing.
May 25, 2006 4:39:34 PM

Quote:

I think I'll go with this opinion!!!!!!! Since it has the most exclamation marks, it must be the best one!!!!!

Thanks guys. Last night I scraped off the pad (very easy) and cleaned it up with some alcohol. Now I'm debating if I want to get involved with sanding it to a ultra smooth finish before installing.

Lapping does help but it's no panacea, the gains are marginal but every little bit helps, especially if you plan on overclocking.

BTW, I'm curious to know which type of stock HSF you got, is it the one with heatpipes and the copper base ?
!