Hard Drive Partitions

I have partioned my 40 G hard drive in to four. I would like merge last
three into one. Is it possible to achieve this without loosing data?

Please guide me through.

Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about hard drive partitions

    No it is not possible to merge partitions "without data loss" unless you use
    third party software. Some people might advise you to use Partition Magic
    however you must be aware that Partition Magic is notorious for having
    problems with merging partitions without data loss. Quite frankly I have
    never found it to do a good job at this. Partition Magic seems fine, and
    I've used it for many years, at other tasks but merging partitions seems to
    be it's weakest option. In my opinion if you want to try this make
    absolutely certain you backup all your important data first. And also ensure
    you have updated Partition Magic to it's latest set of patches before you
    attempt the merge. There are other repartitioning tools. Once being BootIt
    NG. In my opinion it is much more stable than Partition Magic however it is
    a bit less intuitive to use. In any event ensure that you backup critical
    data before you try to merge partitions.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Mahendra Shah" <mshah51@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | I have partioned my 40 G hard drive in to four. I would like merge last
    | three into one. Is it possible to achieve this without loosing data?
    |
    | Please guide me through.
    |
    | Thanks.

    If you are trying to create two partitions out of four, then you must first
    backup the data in the partitions that you are going to do away with. The
    safest plan would be to merge the three data partitions into one 30MB
    partition and leave the system (C:) drive alone. You can do this in XP by
    right clicking on My Computer, selecting Manage, and expanding Storage (if
    necessary) and clicking on Disk Management. You will then see all of your
    drives and partitions in the right hand frame. Right clicking on the color
    bars for each of the partitions will show your options. Delete the unwanted
    partitions, create a new partition in the "unused" area, and then format it.
    Explore the help topics before you start.

    "Mahendra Shah" <mshah51@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have partioned my 40 G hard drive in to four. I would like merge last
    > three into one. Is it possible to achieve this without loosing data?
    >
    > Please guide me through.
    >
    > Thanks.

    "Mahendra Shah" <mshah51@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uZR1KYynEHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >I have partioned my 40 G hard drive in to four. I would like merge last
    > three into one. Is it possible to achieve this without loosing data?
    >
    > Please guide me through.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Yes, if the other three are separate from your system partiton (i.e. your C: drive with Windows on it, adn without program install to folder on those partitions), you can delete those three partition in Disk Management. You then create a new partition there as being one, though obviously 30gigs. Be sure, if you can, to save any important files\data you may have stored on those drives, as they will be lost when you delete recreate those partitions.

    I appreciate all of the answers. I will try tonight and publish the result
    .. I should be able to follow instructions.
    "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
    > If you are trying to create two partitions out of four, then you must
    first
    > backup the data in the partitions that you are going to do away with. The
    > safest plan would be to merge the three data partitions into one 30MB
    > partition and leave the system (C:) drive alone. You can do this in XP by
    > right clicking on My Computer, selecting Manage, and expanding Storage (if
    > necessary) and clicking on Disk Management. You will then see all of your
    > drives and partitions in the right hand frame. Right clicking on the
    color
    > bars for each of the partitions will show your options. Delete the
    unwanted
    > partitions, create a new partition in the "unused" area, and then format
    it.
    > Explore the help topics before you start.
    >
    > "Mahendra Shah" <mshah51@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I have partioned my 40 G hard drive in to four. I would like merge last
    > > three into one. Is it possible to achieve this without loosing data?
    > >
    > > Please guide me through.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    "Mahendra Shah" <mshah51@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have partioned my 40 G hard drive in to four. I would like merge last
    > three into one. Is it possible to achieve this without loosing data?
    >
    > Please guide me through.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Best way to do that would be with Partition Magic 7.0 or 8.0.

    James

Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP