• Components
Last response: in Components
May 24, 2006 6:26:44 PM

and for how long?

More about : eff 600 watt psu future proof

May 24, 2006 6:42:51 PM

Quote:
and for how long?
What brand and model is it? If it's a good brand, it should last you quite a long time.
May 24, 2006 6:48:04 PM

Practically nothing needs a 600w PSU right now, if that's what you're asking.

Unless you start racking up some serious OC, a huge RAID array or Quad-SLi, you won't need it for a good while.

Always helps to be on the safe side. If it's a good brand PSU, It'll last you till you need the extra wattage. Look out for the amperage on the 12v rail, it's also quite important.
Related resources
May 24, 2006 8:00:17 PM

IMO:
CPUs reached a peak in consumption not so long ago - now they race towards lower standards, like 65 and 35Ws for desktops.
GPUs are now still on the rise, draining even more power, but hopefully they will come down to reasonable levels as well.
If we reach the peak soon, then that 600Ws will be more than enough.
a b ) Power supply
May 25, 2006 12:00:03 AM

ATI and nVidia will be shrinking thier GPUs from 90nm to 80nm which should also help decrease that amount of power that they draw. Unfortuantely, it is rumored that ATI is having some serious problems with the 80nm die process. As for nVidia, I don't know if they are having issues.

In any case nVidia highend GPUs are less power hungry than ATI's highend GPUs.
May 25, 2006 12:43:54 AM

Im using a 550 Watt Antec Neo HE PSU so 600Watts seems pretty good I cant imagine the industry as a whole would require much more then that. Things could change but right now the only use for those 1,000 watts PSU's is for people who have the quad SLI rigs with 8 SATA drives 4 DVD burners and and and..... lol (you see where im going right ?) I think with Intel and AMD lowering its power consumption the only thing left is for video card makers to do the same :)  I guess the whole point of my confused post is that 600 watts should be good enough for the foreseeable future !!!
a b ) Power supply
May 25, 2006 1:14:36 AM

Quote:
Im using a 550 Watt Antec Neo HE PSU so 600Watts seems pretty good I cant imagine the industry as a whole would require much more then that. Things could change but right now the only use for those 1,000 watts PSU's is for people who have the quad SLI rigs with 8 SATA drives 4 DVD burners and and and..... lol (you see where im going right ?) I think with Intel and AMD lowering its power consumption the only thing left is for video card makers to do the same :)  I guess the whole point of my confused post is that 600 watts should be good enough for the foreseeable future !!!

True, until people decide that dual core CPUs and SLI are not enough. They'll want their Quad Core and Quad SLI setup with 8GB of RAM so that they can surf the net.
May 25, 2006 1:39:15 AM

Quote:

True, until people decide that dual core CPUs and SLI are not enough. They'll want their Quad Core and Quad SLI setup with 8GB of RAM so that they can surf the net.

I want that, plus 6 150gig raptors in raid, and thats for just using the calculator, might need to get 16gigs of ram to surf the net.
May 25, 2006 1:42:33 AM

Quote:

Hehehehe or they want to run Windows Vista with all the spyware they can find (I have cleaned out peoples HD's and it almost seems like they went out of there way to find the stuff....)
!