Terrain view for Lawn Dart

GREGORY

Here's a view for Melissa.. am still Simming in the California area
but this time no views of the city. The following is a shot (reduced
from 1280x1024 for the web) looking almost due-west out the VC
(no VC that is) descending thru 20,000 ft just prior to crossing
Fillmore. The sun is almost visible over wing-tip. Was keepin 'er
around 350kts on that segment.

http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/Santa_Barbara_distance.jpg (271k)

It's the typical `joe low-end' jetliner scenery views made from FSG
38m mesh, enhanced Calif land class, and FS9 terrain textures in FS8..
that frankly never cease to amaze!!

how about suggesting an area of wilderness or terrain to check out?

-Gregory

___| reply |__________________________________________________________

how about suggesting an area of wilderness or terrain to check out?

I've had many happy flights just of where you took that screenshot, in
the San Gabriel and San Bernadino mountains. Start, say at Burbank
(KBUR) and stay on the south of the mountains following interstate 10
east. Off your right wing you'll see Century City, then Dodger Stadium
and downtown Los Angeles. Keep going and you'll fly over pass El Monte
(KEMT) then Brackett (?) then Ontario (KONT). Keep going until you
reach San Bernadino. At this point, you have a choice: go through the
pass in the mountains ahead to Palm Springs (KPSP), or get some
altitude (say, 9,500 feet) and go just a bit north into the mountains,
where you'll see some wonderful lakes. The really long one with an
airport at the end of it is Big Bear (L35, I think).

Here are some screenshots I made a couple months ago. Slideshow
version:
"You click on a thumbnail to enlarge" version, with captions:

All of these were taken using Active Sky. Most also feature Ultimate
Terrain, which shows up in two ways: very detailed water features and
some cool night lighting at dusk.

GREGORY

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:48:10 -0500, David Wilson-Okamura <David
Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> brought the following:

>I've had many happy flights just of where you took that screenshot, in
>the San Gabriel and San Bernadino mountains. Start, say at Burbank
>(KBUR) and stay on the south of the mountains following interstate 10
>east. Off your right wing you'll see Century City, then Dodger Stadium
>and downtown Los Angeles. Keep going and you'll fly over pass El Monte
>(KEMT) then Brackett (?) then Ontario (KONT). Keep going until you
>reach San Bernadino. At this point, you have a choice: go through the
>pass in the mountains ahead to Palm Springs (KPSP), or get some
>altitude (say, 9,500 feet) and go just a bit north into the mountains,
>where you'll see some wonderful lakes. The really long one with an
>airport at the end of it is Big Bear (L35, I think).

>Here are some screenshots I made a couple months ago. Slideshow version:
>
>"You click on a thumbnail to enlarge" version, with captions:

let's see the screenshots please.. and wondering if :

California Land Class Update Version 2
by Matt Fox
For Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002

is compatible with FS9?

While at it.. another screenie from earlier in flight.. from TO field
KSFO. Had reached cruise ALT of FL310 and a bit slow (airspeed)..
too busy looking around `outdoors' and not piloting.

http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/Soledad_II.jpg (231k)

then jazzed it up with PSP7.. adding locations from DeLorme.

-Gregory

dallas

"David Wilson-Okamura"
> Here are some screenshots I made a couple months ago. Slideshow
> version:
> "You click on a thumbnail to enlarge" version, with captions:

A URL would be most helpful in this instance. :)

Dallas

___| reply |__________________________________________________________

A URL would be most helpful in this instance. :)

It's there: http://forums.simradar.com/_P259120/#259120

But here it is again:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15748845@N00/sets/661080/show/

dallas

"David Wilson-Okamura"
> But here it is again:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/15748845@N00/sets/661080/show/

Roger.

Nice slide show..

Dallas

Hi David,

Can you tell me what settings you have in the TEXTURE_ options in
fs9.cfg including the settings for the sliders in the Display section.

I've been playing a lot lately with settings... things are pretty good,
and performance is incredible (no stutters or microstutters in turns)

What I would like to fix is the terrain that I see on the distance...
it usually looks blurry and once you get close to it it looks sharp.
What I would like to know is if there is a setting in the fs9.cfg that
controls the 'radius' of the sharp looking terrain around you. I
remember I was able to fix this in fs2002. and it had to do with
changing one of the TERRAIN_ settings in fs9.cfg

Here's the section of my fs9.cfg:

TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=96.000000
TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=20
TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=4
TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.000000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.000000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=3

Having said that, what really makes a difference -- and maybe explains
every performance problem I've ever had, including the recent one with
stuttering replay -- is setting the AF (an-something filtering) to 16x
on my pitiful Radeon 9100 PCI video card. This is done through Windows
display settings, not flight simulator. Needless to say, there IS a
performance hit. On the other hand, you get to look at beautiful
scenery. If I were flying fighters or something, I'd probably dial this
right down.

GREGORY

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:24:04 -0500, David Wilson-Okamura <David
Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> brought the following to our
attention:

>It's there: http://forums.simradar.com/_P259120/#259120
>
>But here it is again:
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/15748845@N00/sets/661080/show/

Those shots are nice.. must be a 256MB graphics card. Some are low
altitude and others are? +10,000 ft? It seems your Autogen function
places many more objects on the ground. Can only do two rings
(extended levels) with default radius 2.5 and extended radius 5.5 in
the CFG in 32MB otherwise there will be `cracks' in the terrain..
light blue splits in the ground cover.

Here's one more shot.. same area as in Screencap at top of thread
only heading the other direction (towards Lompac instead of crossing
Fillmore) and at half the ALT. Checked up at 11-thousand to slow
airspeed.

http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/Ojai_valley.jpg (450k)

Details don't extend so far out.. for instance just behind Magic Mt.
to the left.. the `blur line' can be seen. Still run it all the time.

-Gregory

That's a great shot, Gregory -- looks plenty sharp to me! Autogen is
probably courtesy of FS Genesis landclass (I'm still using the freeware
beta, I confess). Video card is the weakest link: it's a Radeon 9100
with 128Mb on board. I don't have an AGP or PCI-express slot, so I'm
limited to PCI cards.

Moral of the story: you can get great eye candy on not-so-great
hardware...if you're willing to live with framerates in the low teens.
Or, you can do what Gregory does, and run FS2002 -- still a fantastic
sim.

Call me Candyman, I guess.