AMD Please Don't Kill 939!!

amddiesel

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I dont think Amd needs to kill 939..They need to keep making newer chips with higher clocks speeds for us.. I just dropped 3 grand on my rig and dropping 3 more on M2 does nothing for me in terms of performance (at the moment) Yea i want ddr2 but hell it aint that much better at this point.. Why not make fx62 and x2 5000 for us..Come on amd!

As a socket 939 owner I am not bothered by AMD's decision. In fact, I went ahead and built my system from nearly scratch knowing that the FX-60 would probably be the end of the line. The big difference? I only spend $700 bucks on mine! I plan to upgrade to dual core when the prices fall for X2 S939 processors.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
Dude they are going to kill 939 like intel did to p3 cause of one reason they want people to buy new chipsets and new mobos so nvidia,ati,sis,via, make money and they want you to buy new procs so they make money.

I dont think Amd needs to kill 939..They need to keep making newer chips with higher clocks speeds for us.. I just dropped 3 grand on my rig and dropping 3 more on M2 does nothing for me in terms of performance (at the moment) Yea i want ddr2 but hell it aint that much better at this point.. Why not make fx62 and x2 5000 for us..Come on amd!

Like it or not S939 needs to die. Otherwise it would get in the way of AM2's success.

AMD is keeping S754 alive because they are being sold to poorer countries where a S939 or AM2 may be too expensive for the average person. S754 also has lower costs of production as well.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
You know I think AMD reads this forum and actually acts according to wimpy thread titles......and if you have a good mind and your heart is pure, magical things can happen.....

939 is old news, AMD are just doing what Intel did with Slot 1/378 and 423/478. Except they're doing it a helluva lot better.

Panzerzero

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Change is the only way for a company to grow. If AMD didn't go to AM2 and forsake 939 then they wouldn't meet their own energy standards on the next few chips which the highend AMD now looks like the highend Intel on power consumption. The big picture is always better them the limited view users may see right now. they need to go to DDR-2 a new scoket was the only way. The first steps to DDR-2 are not that much but it is the first step. Intel has been doing it for a long time now. I was fast to dump on the AM2 but I am sure this socket will have a long life then 754 which I loved :oops:

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
You know I think AMD reads this forum and actually acts according to wimpy thread titles......and if you have a good mind and your heart is pure, magical things can happen.....

Best post today :lol: I think you deserve a trophy. :trophy: Here ya go.

monkey_kiss

Distinguished
May 25, 2006

There is time left. The 754 is still kicking, just.

azrealhk

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
If you change CPU that often for the socket to affect you then an extra little bit for a new MB is not really a factor.

If not, it does not matter. Its not the first time theres been a socket change.

There will be support for 939 for at least another 2-3years...and it will only end then when the chip supplies finally run dry and mobo makers totally remove the boards from the support list, even from the "discontinued" list...you're money was not wasted...worst case scenario, in a year or so, you part it out on the used component market (Ebay) and raise capital for your next $3K machine.

$3K on a rig, wow! post some specs, I'd like to see what goes into a $3K 939 machine.

GFKiraR

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
heh dont worry about it, AMD isnt gonna close out 939skrt just yet, i mean come on skrt754 is still popular, so 939 still has at least another 2-3 years of being up their with everything else