Wireless printer sharing question

I've got a wireless internet connection using a dsl modem, and Linksys
wireless router. I have a desktop wired by ethernet to the router and I use
3 different laptops with wireless capability to get onto the internet. I do
not use this configuration for any file or printer sharing.

Today I bought a Konica/Minolta 2430DL color laser which does have network
capabilities. I know very little about networking but am willing to learn.

Here is my question:

Can I now use this printer on my network to ONLY serve as a printer for the
desktop and the 3 laptops through their wireless connections? If I plug the
printer into an available ethernet connection on the router, will it be
available to the laptops through their wireless connections or must I
establish a network with the 4 computers and printer in order for it to be
available to them?

I would rather not establish a network other than the internet connection
one that I already have as I really have no demand for file sharing...but
the idea of printer sharing now appeals to me.

Thanks in advance.
7 answers Last reply
More about wireless printer sharing question

    BTW, the printer does not have WiFi support on its own...but it does have an
    ethernet connection. Again, I am looking to find out if I can connect this
    to the router and then use the printer from my wirless notebooks, since they
    do go through the router.

    "Jay A" <cajay@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I've got a wireless internet connection using a dsl modem, and Linksys
    > wireless router. I have a desktop wired by ethernet to the router and I
    > use 3 different laptops with wireless capability to get onto the internet.
    > I do not use this configuration for any file or printer sharing.
    >
    > Today I bought a Konica/Minolta 2430DL color laser which does have network
    > capabilities. I know very little about networking but am willing to learn.
    >
    > Here is my question:
    >
    > Can I now use this printer on my network to ONLY serve as a printer for
    > the desktop and the 3 laptops through their wireless connections? If I
    > plug the printer into an available ethernet connection on the router, will
    > it be available to the laptops through their wireless connections or must
    > I establish a network with the 4 computers and printer in order for it to
    > be available to them?
    >
    > I would rather not establish a network other than the internet connection
    > one that I already have as I really have no demand for file sharing...but
    > the idea of printer sharing now appeals to me.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    "Jay A" <cajay@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I've got a wireless internet connection using a dsl modem, and Linksys
    > wireless router. I have a desktop wired by ethernet to the router and I
    > use 3 different laptops with wireless capability to get onto the internet.
    > I do not use this configuration for any file or printer sharing.
    >
    > Today I bought a Konica/Minolta 2430DL color laser which does have network
    > capabilities. I know very little about networking but am willing to learn.
    >
    > Here is my question:
    >
    > Can I now use this printer on my network to ONLY serve as a printer for
    > the desktop and the 3 laptops through their wireless connections? If I
    > plug the printer into an available ethernet connection on the router, will
    > it be available to the laptops through their wireless connections or must
    > I establish a network with the 4 computers and printer in order for it to
    > be available to them?
    >
    > I would rather not establish a network other than the internet connection
    > one that I already have as I really have no demand for file sharing...but
    > the idea of printer sharing now appeals to me.

    Not 100% sure what you're asking, but yes you can plug it into the router
    via Ethernet, and it will be available to the wireless computers as if they
    were all wired to a hub. There shouldn't be any extra setup required just
    because the computers are wireless.

    As far as the actual setup of the printer, I'll refer you to the manual.

    Also for your wireless setup, be sure to use some form of encryption.

    What I am asking is whether this will work even though I am not currently
    using my network as a file or printer sharing one. I only use it to access
    the internet on all computers. Do I now have to get into Windows' setup and
    designate the network as a printer sharing one or will the notebooks see the
    printer once the driver is installed on them?

    "Bill 2" <asdf@asdf.asdf> wrote in message

    > "Jay A" <cajay@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> I've got a wireless internet connection using a dsl modem, and Linksys
    >> wireless router. I have a desktop wired by ethernet to the router and I
    >> use 3 different laptops with wireless capability to get onto the
    >> internet. I do not use this configuration for any file or printer
    >> sharing.
    >>
    >> Today I bought a Konica/Minolta 2430DL color laser which does have
    >> network capabilities. I know very little about networking but am willing
    >> to learn.
    >>
    >> Here is my question:
    >>
    >> Can I now use this printer on my network to ONLY serve as a printer for
    >> the desktop and the 3 laptops through their wireless connections? If I
    >> plug the printer into an available ethernet connection on the router,
    >> will it be available to the laptops through their wireless connections or
    >> must I establish a network with the 4 computers and printer in order for
    >> it to be available to them?
    >>
    >> I would rather not establish a network other than the internet connection
    >> one that I already have as I really have no demand for file sharing...but
    >> the idea of printer sharing now appeals to me.
    >

    > Not 100% sure what you're asking, but yes you can plug it into the router
    > via Ethernet, and it will be available to the wireless computers as if
    > they were all wired to a hub. There shouldn't be any extra setup required
    > just because the computers are wireless.
    >
    > As far as the actual setup of the printer, I'll refer you to the manual.
    >
    > Also for your wireless setup, be sure to use some form of encryption.

    Well, I answered my question just by trying it...I just plugged an ethernet
    cable into the printer and then into the router, installed the printer
    software onto all my computers and it works like a charm.

    I am very impressed with this printer. It's a new one from Minolta, 2400X600
    color output. It's fast, very configurable, can do duplex with an addon, and
    it's prints look outstanding.

    Cost me only $399 at Office Depot with a $100 instant rebate making it the
    same price as the non network version.

    I highly recommend it.

    I have the same equipment and setup except a different printer and
    desktop units accessing a printer across a wireless network.

    The printer must be attached to a computer that must be left on all of
    the time. On that computer go to setup printers and then click the
    printer tab and click sharing. Click the radio button for share and
    give it a share name. You can Konica Printer for share name. Make sure
    you do not have any security restricting the use.

    This is how I did it for W2K. On each of the computers that you want to
    access the printer you must install the printer driver and you should
    see the printer on the network.

    >I have the same equipment and setup except a different printer and desktop
    >units accessing a printer across a wireless network.
    >
    > The printer must be attached to a computer that must be left on all of the
    > time. On that computer go to setup printers and then click the printer
    > tab and click sharing. Click the radio button for share and give it a
    > share name. You can Konica Printer for share name. Make sure you do not
    > have any security restricting the use.
    >
    > This is how I did it for W2K. On each of the computers that you want to
    > access the printer you must install the printer driver and you should see
    > the printer on the network.

    His printer comes with a network interface, so there is no need for him to
    connect the printer directly to a computer, it can be directly connected to
    the network.

    That's correct. I do not need to leave any one computer on since the printer
    goes directly to the router. It works wonderfully and now I can print
    directly from any laptop anywhere in the house to the printer upstairs. It's
    wonderful!!

    > His printer comes with a network interface, so there is no need for him to
    > connect the printer directly to a computer, it can be directly connected
    > to the network.

Printers Wireless Printer Peripherals Product