Media Player will not Load / Media Player and SP2 Issues

I have just upgraded to Service Pack 2.

Since the upgrade i have noticed that Mediaplayer does
not work. When opened media player starts by displaying a
screen that gives you the impression its about to instal
but nothing happens.

I already had WMP9 installed before i upgraded to SP2.
According to MS this appears to be a known issue but i
cannot find a fix.

Because there is nothing to install it just stays on the
screen that you get when you first install.

I have posted this before and i had one suggestion:

Load Media Player 10.

I have downloaded the 12 meg file to do this but on the
opening screen you are once again barred from accepting
the user licence meaning i cannot go any further.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

I use XP Pro and my machine ran like a dream until i
installed SP2. I have noticed a slow down in performance
since i have installed but i have yet to check for
updated drivers on my hardware.
3 answers Last reply
More about media player load media player issues

    I have similar problem. WMP10 was working with SP1 but not with SP2.

    Frank

    "Stephen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have just upgraded to Service Pack 2.
    >
    > Since the upgrade i have noticed that Mediaplayer does
    > not work. When opened media player starts by displaying a
    > screen that gives you the impression its about to instal
    > but nothing happens.
    >
    > I already had WMP9 installed before i upgraded to SP2.
    > According to MS this appears to be a known issue but i
    > cannot find a fix.
    >
    > Because there is nothing to install it just stays on the
    > screen that you get when you first install.
    >
    > I have posted this before and i had one suggestion:
    >
    > Load Media Player 10.
    >
    > I have downloaded the 12 meg file to do this but on the
    > opening screen you are once again barred from accepting
    > the user licence meaning i cannot go any further.
    >
    > Any help on this would be appreciated.
    >
    > I use XP Pro and my machine ran like a dream until i
    > installed SP2. I have noticed a slow down in performance
    > since i have installed but i have yet to check for
    > updated drivers on my hardware.

    I just looked down the list of "known" Microsoft products that sp2 screws up
    and didn't see MP ( 9 or 10 ).

    I may understand MP 10 being at odds with sp2 because it's a post sp2
    released item and there is no guarantee the MP crew made it to work with
    sp2.

    MP 9 should work since it's an include in sp2.

    A Microsoft product screws up a Microsoft product. Ya gotta just love it!

    "FrankV" <FrankV@anonymous.address> wrote in message
    > I have similar problem. WMP10 was working with SP1 but not with SP2.
    >
    > Frank
    >
    > "Stephen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have just upgraded to Service Pack 2.
    > >
    > > Since the upgrade i have noticed that Mediaplayer does
    > > not work. When opened media player starts by displaying a
    > > screen that gives you the impression its about to instal
    > > but nothing happens.
    > >
    > > I already had WMP9 installed before i upgraded to SP2.
    > > According to MS this appears to be a known issue but i
    > > cannot find a fix.
    > >
    > > Because there is nothing to install it just stays on the
    > > screen that you get when you first install.
    > >
    > > I have posted this before and i had one suggestion:
    > >
    > > Load Media Player 10.
    > >
    > > I have downloaded the 12 meg file to do this but on the
    > > opening screen you are once again barred from accepting
    > > the user licence meaning i cannot go any further.
    > >
    > > Any help on this would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > I use XP Pro and my machine ran like a dream until i
    > > installed SP2. I have noticed a slow down in performance
    > > since i have installed but i have yet to check for
    > > updated drivers on my hardware.

    You can't reload MP9 once you have this problem.

    Frank

    >I just looked down the list of "known" Microsoft products that sp2 screws
    >up
    > and didn't see MP ( 9 or 10 ).
    >
    > I may understand MP 10 being at odds with sp2 because it's a post sp2
    > released item and there is no guarantee the MP crew made it to work with
    > sp2.
    >
    > MP 9 should work since it's an include in sp2.
    >
    > A Microsoft product screws up a Microsoft product. Ya gotta just love
    > it!
    >

    > "FrankV" <FrankV@anonymous.address> wrote in message
    >> I have similar problem. WMP10 was working with SP1 but not with SP2.
    >>
    >> Frank
    >>
    >> "Stephen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have just upgraded to Service Pack 2.
    >> >
    >> > Since the upgrade i have noticed that Mediaplayer does
    >> > not work. When opened media player starts by displaying a
    >> > screen that gives you the impression its about to instal
    >> > but nothing happens.
    >> >
    >> > I already had WMP9 installed before i upgraded to SP2.
    >> > According to MS this appears to be a known issue but i
    >> > cannot find a fix.
    >> >
    >> > Because there is nothing to install it just stays on the
    >> > screen that you get when you first install.
    >> > --------------------------------------------------------
    >> >
    >> > I have posted this before and i had one suggestion:
    >> >
    >> > Load Media Player 10.
    >> >
    >> > I have downloaded the 12 meg file to do this but on the
    >> > opening screen you are once again barred from accepting
    >> > the user licence meaning i cannot go any further.
    >> >
    >> > Any help on this would be appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > I use XP Pro and my machine ran like a dream until i
    >> > installed SP2. I have noticed a slow down in performance
    >> > since i have installed but i have yet to check for
    >> > updated drivers on my hardware.

Microsoft Media Player Windows XP