Sign in with
Your question

Windows freezing and crashing, lots of errors.

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
April 22, 2011 8:53:51 PM

Originally, this started with just a window would freeze after ever other click. This freeze would eventually crash every program i had open. Then after trying the "chkdsk /r" command, it didnt fix. Then i tried Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool. This didnt help at all either. Now it has progressed to not even launching windows 7 at all. I get to the "Starting Windows" screen, and it either freezes completely, or after a while flashes a blue screen. It has progressed even worse, to not getting passed a screen that shows the hardware on my motherboard, and if it gets passed that, it will start up windows recovery, which freezes as it reaches "attempting to fix errors." At this point, when my computer reaches "Verifying DMI Pool Data", it freezes there for about 5-15 mins, then i get a "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
a b $ Windows 7
April 22, 2011 9:11:09 PM

You have a bad hard drive... time to replace it. You may or may not be able to recover the data from the old drive yourself.
m
l
April 22, 2011 9:27:27 PM

its less than a month old how can it be bad already?
m
l
Related resources
April 23, 2011 5:58:46 AM

its WD caviar Green 1 TB btw.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 23, 2011 9:50:27 PM

Doesn't matter... hard drives fail all the time. Some fail right away, others run fine for years without fail. Just be thankful it failed while it was still under warranty. You can check / replace the SATA cable just to be sure... but if definately sounds like the drive. Of course, a bad or unplugged cable will cause those sorts of issues too...
m
l
!