Sign in with
Your question

Is an Integrated Memory Controller Worth it? (In Cpus)

Last response: in Motherboards
May 25, 2006 12:39:35 AM

I know it reduces latency alot, however it takes much longer to produce prototye cpus. Like am2 it also takes a long time to release mobos and forces virutal system rebuilds if u want to upgrade. Its basicly performance vs economics and upgradeability IMO. Anyone want to add to my thoughts? Thanks.
a b V Motherboard
a c 448 à CPUs
a b } Memory
May 25, 2006 1:24:36 AM

Right now DDR2 has higher latency than DDR. While they are clocked faster, they also must "wait longer". So at this moment there's no reason to upgrade from S939 to AM2. Unless you want the X2 5000+ or the FX-62.

DDR2 800 should help out a bit, but they are not out yet.
May 25, 2006 1:55:30 AM

[/quote]DDR2 800 should help out a bit, but they are not out yet.[/quote]

What do u mean DDR 2 800 isn't out yet?

They even have DDR 2 1066 out.

And Here's a mobo with DDR2 800 standard
Related resources
May 25, 2006 2:22:02 AM

Quote:

DDR2 800 should help out a bit, but they are not out yet.

All the AM2 mobos I have seen online are ddr2-800 standard and there are plenty of companys making ddr2-800.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2006 2:51:13 AM

I think IMC's are the way to go and am wondering how long it's gonna take Intel to come up with their own flavor of it...like they came up with their own flavor of 64bit support...besides, regardless whether you have AMD or Intel, your chances of needing a new mobo & memory are increased, especially now with both companies launching new products...read somewhere that AM2 was put out with scalability in mind, so hopefully, that socket type will enjoy a long lifetime and we will only need BIOS updates to enjoy increased performance, just like what AMD did with the X2's...
May 25, 2006 3:30:23 AM

Quote:
I think IMC's are the way to go and am wondering how long it's gonna take Intel to come up with their own flavor of it...like they came up with their own flavor of 64bit support...besides, regardless whether you have AMD or Intel, your chances of needing a new mobo & memory are increased, especially now with both companies launching new products...read somewhere that AM2 was put out with scalability in mind, so hopefully, that socket type will enjoy a long lifetime and we will only need BIOS updates to enjoy increased performance, just like what AMD did with the X2's...

In this respect, I think would would definately be smart to avoid buying the AM2 until you really get a picture of what the scalability for it is according to AMD... of course

From my novice experience IMC's work better?
May 26, 2006 2:43:15 AM

Is there a benchmark or something to isolate somewhat the difference in performance between IMCs and MOBO IMCs?
!