new_guy120

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
Hello, all. I'm planning on buying a new CPU along with a new motherboard from Newegg. For most of the CPUs on Newegg under tech spec, the FSB for the CPU is stated. I thought the FSB (front side bus) was something only on the motherboard? How is the FSB relative and what does it have to do with a processor? Also, what does HT stand for? It says HT: 1600 Mhz on Newegg.

monkey_kiss

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
Hello, all. I'm planning on buying a new CPU along with a new motherboard from Newegg. For most of the CPUs on Newegg under tech spec, the FSB for the CPU is stated. I thought the FSB (front side bus) was something only on the motherboard? How is the FSB relative and what does it have to do with a processor? Also, what does HT stand for? It says HT: 1600 Mhz on Newegg.

Don't worry about it.

1. Decide on a budget.
2. Decide AMD or INTEL (3700 Athlon 64 San Diego is good value for example)
3. Investigate boards and CPU's out there now in your budget (ie review)
4. Pick one based on reviews.

new_guy120

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
Thanks for the help. But I'd still like to know why its there..the FSB speed under specs of a processor and why it matters for knowldge :p If anyone can help, please reply.

Jean-Coutu

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
The best for now, it's the AMD Athlon 64 X2 CPU's but I don't know if it's a good idea but wait the Intel Conroes.

The X2 is good for work and for play video games and it's the futur.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
The FSB is the total speed at which the cpu and memory communicate. As far as gaming, what games do you intend to play? Current ones? Future games??

Also, consider the price/performance ratio of AMD cpu's and Intel. If you want to buy one NOW compared to when AM2 comes out in a couple of weeks, you will pay more.

Also, tellus your budget on parts and what you have now for parts.