Asterisk only for VoIP?

Last response: in Networking
January 19, 2005 4:16:41 AM

Hello
I'm absolutely new to Asterisk!

I don't have any FX0 cards or anything, just a Fedora box
Can I just set up Asterisk on a LAN to connect a number of IP phones on the
network so they can all dial each other on local network and leave
voicemail?

-
Only want to start with something simple at first-
Thanks!

More about : asterisk voip

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 4:16:42 AM

> I don't have any FX0 cards or anything, just a Fedora box Can I just set
> up Asterisk on a LAN to connect a number of IP phones on the network so
> they can all dial each other on local network and leave voicemail?

Yes. Look here:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/07/03/asterisk....
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 2:08:03 AM

"abUser" <cci-acc.admin@cciholdings.com.au> writes:

>I'm absolutely new to Asterisk!

Welcome.

>I don't have any FX0 cards or anything,

I do. I rarely use them anymore.

For about $30 you can buy prepaid time with a decent VoIP provider.
At less than $0.02/minute that goes a long way. It's hard for me to
justify messing with telephone lines just to get worse service (fewer
features, single call appearance, poor line supervision, ...).

>just a Fedora box
>Can I just set up Asterisk on a LAN to connect a number of IP phones on the
>network so they can all dial each other on local network and leave
>voicemail?

Definitely. Asterisk is quite capable of that (and I've done it).
Give Asterisk a shot but don't hesitate to ask for help here. I know
there are people monitoring who would appreciate hearing about your
experience.

--kyler
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 5:33:23 PM

Thanks a lot for the answers,

managed to setup just what was looking for.
good link with a practical example was:

!