Computer freezes when opening certain folders

pip_75

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
When I open a few of the folders on my hard drive (usually have video in them) the computer freezes up and I have to close windows explorer. Is there something wrong with my hard drive or is it something else? Any help would be great

Dr_House

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Have you installed any software recently or downloaded any files off of P2P FastTrack or Warez websites? (Kazaa, limewire, etc.). Sometimes this is caused by virus's, spyware or corrupt system files.

This could also be caused by if you're caching thumbnails or the view you have it in and it's a slow computer. Typically this is severe, often requiring reformats and reinstalltions of the Operating System, if it can't be fixed by other simpler means.

weilin

Distinguished
how sure are you of ur ram stability, when you open a folder with a lot of video and hte folder is set to video mode... windows loads like a 10 min clip of each video into ram (which takes time byitself) if there is errors in ram, the pc may freeze. Check your ram. If that doesn't help, right click the folder that is having that issue and go into properties under customize change it from video to regular documents and the problem should go away.

pip_75

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
I don't think its because I have a slow computer

AMD Atlon 64 X2 4200 stock heatsink/fan
Asus A8N SLI Premium mobo
EVGA 7800GTX 256 MB
1 GB OCZ ram
250 GB SATA HDD
Plextor Dual Layer DVD Burner
Sound Blaster Audigy 4
XP Pro

It might be the ram but how would I check to find out for shure?

the computer used to freeze up alot until I just reformated the hard drive and reinstalled the OS and everything but it still does it so I am guessing it is a hardware problem

sadsephiroth

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
That's just explorer crashing. Don't know why it does that on certain files but I had the same prob before. Try using a explorer replacement to move the file elsewhere and try again. If not then maybe burn the files to a disc and then try. Don't know a fix except for the explorer alternative workaround.

Spudley

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
Its a Video Codec problem..... I had the same problem.before i switched to windows x64.
I found it would crash at a certain file when ever windows tried to read the file to generate a thumbnail for it.
have you got somthing like the ace mega codec pack installed, thats the beastie that gave me probs.