Sign in with
Your question

AMD Aims to Take 15% of Notebook Market this Year

Last response: in CPUs
May 25, 2006 3:04:14 AM

Quote:
AMD aims to see 12 million notebooks use its CPUs this year, or 15% of the global notebook market, according to industry sources.

Intel has dominated the notebook market for years, with AMD having had less than 10% of the market. However, with the recent addition of the Turion 64X2 processors to its product range, AMD is now well equipped to boost its market share, the sources commented.

The sources revealed that over half of Hewlett Packard (HP) notebooks use AMD processors, and these models are chiefly for the European and American markets. For Acer, the AMD proportion is 35%, the sources added.

Major notebook makers estimate worldwide notebook shipments will reach 80 million units this year, the sources said.

Amd Dual Core

http://digitimes.com/systems/a20060523PR219.html
May 25, 2006 3:06:29 AM

The X2 turion has already failed to impress and it'll get owned even more by merom.
May 25, 2006 6:05:35 AM

Quote:
The X2 turion has already failed to impress and it'll get owned even more by merom.

I have to agree with this, even though I wouldn't have said it as politely as you did.

when I read the 20% sever market comment I thought that sounded reasonable, but 15% in notebook market? no way. AMD just has nothing great in the notebook area.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 25, 2006 6:53:35 AM

A lot of people buy notebooks because of the total package, and price. It would be easy for AMD to take even more share than that, if they can build a great low end system at a very low price.
The $ for AMD's mobile chips has generally been good value, they just haven't been available in the right package.
They should be able to work out a package with lenova, though that might upset other OEMs.
May 25, 2006 7:20:29 AM

Here what I see with Notebooks Pros

Centreno duo Uses Less power so they run Longer
Amd x2 notebooks is 64 bit. Which helps with any 64 bit OS

Here the cons of both systems.
Centreno duo is only 32 bit so it cant any 64 bit OS.
Amd x2 Notbooks Uses more battery power.

So each Notebooks have Pros and cons.
May 25, 2006 7:41:47 AM

Quote:
AMD aims to see 12 million notebooks use its CPUs this year, or 15% of the global notebook market, according to industry sources.

Intel has dominated the notebook market for years, with AMD having had less than 10% of the market. However, with the recent addition of the Turion 64X2 processors to its product range, AMD is now well equipped to boost its market share, the sources commented.

The sources revealed that over half of Hewlett Packard (HP) notebooks use AMD processors, and these models are chiefly for the European and American markets. For Acer, the AMD proportion is 35%, the sources added.

Major notebook makers estimate worldwide notebook shipments will reach 80 million units this year, the sources said.

Amd Dual Core

http://digitimes.com/systems/a20060523PR219.html

It's good that AMD has this goal in place and I for one, believe it will happen. Even though Intel has the better platform, notebooks makers such as HP, Acer etc. have been celebrating major sales increases using AMD processors.
May 25, 2006 7:46:05 AM

I don't see AMD picking up any significant amount of market share in notebooks any time soon considering Merom will be out in a couple months. As it is the only cpu's AMD has out that compete with Intels Core Duo, performance wise, are their X2 processors and I think most mobile users would rather not have a desktop cpu in their laptop for battery longevity reasons.
May 25, 2006 7:48:25 AM

Did you miss the Turion X2 release?
May 25, 2006 8:01:40 AM

Quote:
Did you miss the Turion X2 release?

Core Duo benchmarks better then Turion X2 in basically every single test I have seen.
May 25, 2006 9:08:23 AM

Quote:
Here what I see with Notebooks Pros

Centreno duo Uses Less power so they run Longer
Amd x2 notebooks is 64 bit. Which helps with any 64 bit OS

Here the cons of both systems.
Centreno duo is only 32 bit so it cant any 64 bit OS.
Amd x2 Notbooks Uses more battery power.

So each Notebooks have Pros and cons.

Oh and how about throwing in the fact that vista will not be out till ohhh 2020.
May 25, 2006 10:21:29 AM

You miss this fact. http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux-laptop-lc2464.html

Also http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx.

So 64 bit OS have been out for a while. I have a desktop that runs windows 64 Pro.

Oh here the info I have on Vista from Mirosoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/default....

Quote:
available in early 2007, means choosing the edition that's right for you and ensuring that you have the right PC to enjoy the experiences you want.

We can only hope. But it Smashed your idea it will be out in 2020
May 25, 2006 10:38:08 AM

I guess you've never heard of sarcasm.
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2006 4:25:05 PM

not to mention the fact that xp x64 is absolute crap. I bet you run it at 8-bit color due to driver issues, lol :lol: 
May 25, 2006 7:07:44 PM

I can tell you haven't haven't even used it so STFU noob.
May 25, 2006 7:37:37 PM

Yeah, right.
May 25, 2006 8:23:44 PM

The biggest downside of XP x64 is driver compatibility, particularly for older devices or smaller manufacturers.

That said though, I have been using XP x64 for software development work for the past year with a dual-monitor (1600x1200 32-bit each) setup driven by an ATI 9600XT.

So is XP x64 "absolute crap"? Maybe if you have older hardware, don't have enough RAM, or want to play games.
!