AMD "On Course" For 20 Percent of Server Market

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I do believe they'll achieve 30%.

"We have achieved greater than 20 percent market share as of the end of Q1 in servers, allowing us to leverage that success into the traditional client space," he leveraged.

Seyer also reckons AMD will beat the pants off Intel in quad-core performance per watt by 2008, according to IDG. The newswire also said he said AMD would be "the number one provider of new clients in 2009".

http://theinquirer.net/?article=31931

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I do believe they'll achieve 30%.

"We have achieved greater than 20 percent market share as of the end of Q1 in servers, allowing us to leverage that success into the traditional client space," he leveraged.

Seyer also reckons AMD will beat the pants off Intel in quad-core performance per watt by 2008, according to IDG. The newswire also said he said AMD would be "the number one provider of new clients in 2009".

http://theinquirer.net/?article=31931 The link seems to be working, the Inquirer popped up.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I cant see it happening, they're about to be owned by woodcrest. They might as well call it quits.

Though Core 2 desktop seems to have filled the gap, I have seen Apache tests on Anand ( I'll find it and post) that show Opteron beating Xeon 3.6 by 400% at 50,000 connections at 2Way.

I was flabbergasted. None of the wins (all desktop really - even though there is supposedly a TPC-C record) for Woodcrest are by 400%.

ethernalite

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
I cant see it happening, they're about to be owned by woodcrest. They might as well call it quits.

Though Core 2 desktop seems to have filled the gap, I have seen Apache tests on Anand ( I'll find it and post) that show Opteron beating Xeon 3.6 by 400% at 50,000 connections at 2Way.

I was flabbergasted. None of the wins (all desktop really - even though there is supposedly a TPC-C record) for Woodcrest are by 400%.

Yea, and Intel will continue to be beaten pretty soundly in the 8-way market, which is what the benches you cited were testing. Simply put, even Intel's dual-FSB @ 333mhz quad pumped can't compare to the bandwidth that HTT allows between sockets.

In single socket servers, Woodcrest will dominate. In two socket servers, Woodcrest will probably have a pretty solid advantage. In four way, Woodcrest will probably tie or lose slightly, depending on how bandwidth intensive the benchmarks are. In eight-way, Opteron will smash Woodcrest, probably by a margin of 25-40%, depending on the application.

Unfortunantly for AMD, 8-way boards/servers are very rare. The vast majority of the server market is in one or two socket servers, and Intel looks pretty well stacked in those arenas. I would guess that less than 5% of server chips sold end up in 4+ socket servers. I have no hard numbers to back this up, however, and if anyone can prove me wrong, feel free to.

Legenic

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I think AMD will still make gains in the server market, even with woodcrest coming. they've established themselves as a solid alternative to intel, and they're more well known now than ever.

I do, however, think woodcrest will slow gains they would have made if it weren't to have come out.

endyen

Splendid
In single socket servers, Woodcrest will dominate. In two socket servers, Woodcrest will probably have a pretty solid advantage. In four way, Woodcrest will probably tie or lose slightly, depending on how bandwidth intensive the benchmarks are. In eight-way, Opteron will smash Woodcrest, probably by a margin of 25-40%, depending on the application.
You are probably correct, though seeing some MySQL benches would be nice. That really has been where AMD is cleaning up. I hear that the 290 is also due for release about the same time as woodcrest. It may not catch up too much on single chip setups, but the opterons scale well, even to only two chips.
It may be a tight battle, but Intel will win on recognition.

endyen

Splendid
we were not going to sit by and let amd take over. our stock will probably spilt in the next 2 years
You really shouldn't be telling people that you work for Intel's new PR company. What with the current litigation, you could find yourself in a witness chair.
you better hurry up and deny it.

azrealhk

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
I am sure it will increase. I have been in two companies in the past two years, and two years ago, no one would have bought an AMD server.
Now I know, and both my previous and current company are buying Opeteron servers.

I am please to say they are quite stable.

As for Woodcrest. Market acceptance is more important than technology. Management will not care much about technology, I don't thinks ours even heard of Conroe.

As more people use AMD CPUs in servers, the more acceptance they will gain. Thats important.

SUN and IBM now offer Opeteron servers, which were no existant a while back.