Max write cycles to iPaq File Store, vs. Sandisk flash card

November 10, 2004 11:11:52 AM

Hi,

Does anyone have information on the max write cycles per sector for the iPaq
File Store (HP iPaq h6300), and the max write cycles per sector for Sandisk
compactflash cards (or other compactflash cards if there are significantly
better ones in this regard)?

I am Googling but not getting very far with concrete info.

Thanks,

--
joe larson
Anonymous

All I know is that the subject of the amount of write cycles has been
discussed extensively on the former PsiLinux page, now OpenPsion.
(http://linux-7110.sourceforge.net/)
There was a debate whether or not having a swap file would prematurely
kill off a flash device (e.g. a CF memory card).
You could trawl the mail archive for the discussion if it's still
saved somewhere inthere.. else i'll have to dig around in my mail.
The outcome if I remember correctly was that the consequences were
reasonable negligable for the card, as the technology that hides within
these cards intelligently reallocates writes to use the internal flash
chips to their maximum extent possible without compromising data over the
lifetime of the card itself, which with care can be many years..
No specific comparison between the iPAQ Filestore and Sandisk CF cards
though, sorry..

~S.

--
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.