Sign in with
Your question

B0 revision Conroes are overclocking monsters!

Last response: in CPUs
May 25, 2006 5:04:09 AM

I added this to the Collection of Conroe information, but this really needed it's own thread. The B0 Conroes are Overclocking Monsters! Everything they throw at it, this chip takes it in stride. No cold bugs to be found! Coolaler is runing a new clockgen, fsb overclock, etc.. and is reaching 4.6GHz overclocks!

Sorry for all the exclamation points, but it is just spectacular how stable this chip is, and that is only going to get better with production revisions. A 2.6GHz pre-release chip is hitting 4.6GHz no problem.

Full thread: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...

New May 25, 2006 Records:
SuperPi_1M: 11.359 seconds <-- new world record
SuperPi_2M: 28.812 seconds <-- new world record
SuperPi_4M: 1:08.625 <-- new world record
SuperPi_8M: 2:35.375 <-- new world record
SuperPi_16M: 5:45.703 <-- new world record
SuperPi_32M: 12:29.312 <-- new world record
Link: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1471...

Cheers!
May 25, 2006 5:14:18 AM

Nice, really really nice!
May 25, 2006 5:29:36 AM

HOLY SH*T, THEY ARE HITTING 3.7 ON AIR, THAT IS NEAR-NETBURST IN CLOCK SPEED!
Related resources
May 25, 2006 5:36:51 AM

If thats true them OMG..... thats about all I can say. I mean what can anyone say ? Well other then the AMD fans saying that its some sort of lie (wich it might be but I dont know I guess im just a trusting person)
May 25, 2006 5:38:28 AM

looks like intel has a lot of room to flex to compete with AMD's "mhz race", or whatever it's called. that's really impressive that it's overclocking that high even on air.

I figured that the low stage high IPC design of core would make releasing a 3.33ghz EE right of the bat foolish as it would be near the top of it's max clock, but I guess that's not the case at all.
May 25, 2006 5:43:20 AM

Quote:
looks like intel has a lot of room to flex to compete with AMD's "mhz race", or whatever it's called. that's really impressive that it's overclocking that high even on air.

I figured that the low stage high IPC design of core would make releasing a 3.33ghz EE right of the bat foolish as it would be near the top of it's max clock, but I guess that's not the case at all.

You took the words right out of my mouth ! After my first post I was thinking about it and if its true then it gives Intel alot of room to release improved versions (for the home people who dont OC) I want one now more then ever.... Are the multiplyers locked ? well even if they are not unlocked it doesnt mean the production ones wont be :(  but any way its still impressive !!!
May 25, 2006 5:46:15 AM

The multipliers on both the retail (obviously) and ES chips are all locked. Only the XE chips will have unlocked multipliers.

And it looks like only a 2.93Ghz XE, not a 3.33Ghz, will be launched in Q3. The 3.33Ghz version wont come till late Q4/early Q1 '07 according to the latest reports.
May 25, 2006 5:49:39 AM

Quote:

You took the words right out of my mouth ! After my first post I was thinking about it and if its true then it gives Intel alot of room to release improved versions (for the home people who dont OC) I want one now more then ever.... Are the multiplyers locked ? well even if they are not unlocked it doesnt mean the production ones wont be :(  but any way its still impressive !!!
Who cares? We will have uber low multipliers to use if we buy the lower-clocked chips, and that means massive bandwidth 8)
May 25, 2006 6:06:05 AM

Yes agreed the bandwidth is awesome !!! The person with the 4.6Ghz Conroe is running a FSB of 460Mhz just amazing !
May 25, 2006 6:40:26 AM

nice. if i may comment on something slightly different: as an observer of this whole computer technology development spectacle, it looks like all the overclockers will be switching to intel in a few months time - totally contradicting the very principles on what gamers are supposed to be based upon. or that's at least what it seems like after reading about 2 years' worth of gamers posting about how amd products thrash any intel product ever made.
as i have read in the THG review on AM2, AMD seems to have stepped backwards in some aspects. namely they are now just as expensive as intel's chips, and the overclocking ability has worsened. AMD will obviously counteract the Core 2 with something-else-which-we-don't-know-about-yet to keep themselves in the game, so in the end it's all good.
May 25, 2006 6:53:36 AM

Quote:
nice. if i may comment on something slightly different: as an observer of this whole computer technology development spectacle, it looks like all the overclockers will be switching to intel in a few months time - totally contradicting the very principles on what gamers are supposed to be based upon. or that's at least what it seems like after reading about 2 years' worth of gamers posting about how amd products thrash any intel product ever made.
as i have read in the THG review on AM2, AMD seems to have stepped backwards in some aspects. namely they are now just as expensive as intel's chips, and the overclocking ability has worsened. AMD will obviously counteract the Core 2 with something-else-which-we-don't-know-about-yet to keep themselves in the game, so in the end it's all good.

Good post :)  pretty much dead on ! I agree gamers usualy are not loyal to any one company they are loyal to the almighty FPS and resolution hehehe.
May 25, 2006 10:00:49 AM

Quote:
FUGGER did told me the A1/A0 he's been using to get up to 3.9Ghz benchmarkable(4Ghz bootable) last week still had tiny little potential in them to go higher. He also said B0 will be better, but I never expected it to be that good.

Makes one wonder what the retail version is going to be like which according to him is going to be yet even better. By how much he doesn't know. Probably another 200Mhz over B0 is my esitmating to get 4.8Ghz

When Conroe does come out, the "ORB" servers, will be down alot....over

loaded. :wink: 1st page guys, will be back 20 pages...hehehe :p  I'll drop

off the back end. :?
May 25, 2006 12:23:27 PM

Quote:

Good post :)  pretty much dead on ! I agree gamers usualy are not loyal to any one company they are loyal to the almighty FPS and resolution hehehe.
uh by the sounds of it you've never met madmodmike
May 25, 2006 1:08:10 PM

Quote:

MMM was not a gamer or overclocker of any sort. Just a sad fanboy, or at the very least a paid shill for AMD.

True gamers and enthusiasts were all running AMD rigs this year, and rightly so, I know I was (still am, heh). But Conroe is clearly the next chip/platform to go with. It doesn't matter what name is on the box, the performance and stbility and power efficiency is what matters, and Conroe clearly has all of them.

Cheers!
May 25, 2006 1:12:11 PM

Quote:

Yeah trashing a company when they are not competing properly is fine, which is what has been going on the past couple years with Intel. But when a company turns around and clearly takes the performance lead, and people still continue to trash it, then it is those people that have a problem. They are clearly emotionally tied to the equipment they currently own (for some odd reason).

True performance enthusiasts simply cheer for the competition becuase it advances the state of the art, drives prices down and improves the market for all of us!

Cheers!
May 25, 2006 1:15:34 PM

Quote:

Yeah trashing a company when they are not competing properly is fine, which is what has been going on the past couple years with Intel. But when a company turns around and clearly takes the performance lead, and people still continue to trash it, then it is those people that have a problem. They are clearly emotionally tied to the equipment they currently own (for some odd reason).

True performance enthusiasts simply cheer for the competition becuase it advances the state of the art, drives prices down and improves the market for all of us!

Cheers!
then again, there are instances where nobody can decide who's the performance leader
May 25, 2006 1:37:08 PM

Quote:
then again, there are instances where nobody can decide who's the performance leader

I agree. Like in the server space, with Woodcrest it is clear the Intel is going to take the lead in 1P and probably 2P. AMD clearly has 8P and above, and 4P is unclear right now who is going to end up on the top for the rest of the year.
May 25, 2006 1:48:14 PM

Conroe overclockers are going to need to be more concerned about finding a good motherboard and memory to keep up with their Conroes.

A 77% overclock is nothing but astonishing.
May 25, 2006 1:49:00 PM

I swear I can hear the AMD fanboys scrambling to find something to discredit this :lol:  .
May 25, 2006 1:56:16 PM

CPU-Z validation of the overclock:

May 25, 2006 2:03:55 PM

Look like Conroe (Core 2) is really doing some good jobs out there. Even though its kicking some asses, we still need to wait till July to get one of those...
May 25, 2006 2:06:43 PM

Conroe=Heavensent

So Im guessing alot of peoples prayers have been answered.
Intel was trully doing their job in those labs, this sounds like nexts years CPU, lucky for us is coming soon.

Cant Wait.
May 25, 2006 2:51:13 PM

8O 8O 8O (jaw completely disattached and drops on the floor) 8O 8O 8O

Looks like I'm gonna have to sell my 6 months old mobo and cpu for this!!!!
May 25, 2006 3:04:17 PM

Hell, i just bought my new rig in december and it was SUPPOSED to last me at least a year or two. Looks like six months only, since i will be picking one of these babies up. :D 
May 25, 2006 3:25:30 PM

I know, when I built my rig laste Mid November, I thought this could last me at least a year and that the performance of my cpu (Pentium D 840) would still be good by then. But now it seems that it can be easily outperformed by the Conroe even with it slowest series.

That would be a nice boost for my rig since Im running SLI as well. But the main thing that impressed me the most is the price to performance ratio. I got my cpu for $550 and if I have to buy a Conroe for that price the E6700, which is a 2.67GHz chip with 4MB of cache and a 1066 front side bus will cost $529, would double the performance for the same price.

Again Im just speechless right now!
May 25, 2006 3:46:08 PM

I wasn't aware that Conroe will support a new series of SSE instructions. 8O

What I would like to see is how well the lowest clocked Core 2 duo performs. I think it would also be cool to see some benchmarks with one core disabled, so that we could see how the future Core Solo will perform. It will make up my mind whether to buy an 805 or new Celeron D now or wait completely for a cheap Core solo.
May 25, 2006 3:51:10 PM

Quote:

What I would like to see is how well the lowest clocked Core 2 duo performs. I think it would also be cool to see some benchmarks with one core disabled, so that we could see how the future Core Solo will perform. It will make up my mind whether to buy an 805 or new Celeron D now or wait completely for a cheap Core solo.

I think Intel is dropping the single cores only for Celerons in the future line-up.
May 25, 2006 3:52:15 PM

Quote:

:o  Celeron D 356 will kick ass though
May 25, 2006 6:43:23 PM

Quote:

Hahahaha I have seen some of his post sometimes he seemed ok but I guess sometimes he was a jerk ? I seen the thread about him being banned so it musta been something he said ? anyway I want Conroe so bad now I need to sell some things on Ebay to prepair... yes I can see it now. Nice fast Mobo 2GB's of 1066Mhz DDR2.... *drools and wanders off in techno stupor*
May 25, 2006 10:20:54 PM

Quote:
I added this to the Collection of Conroe information, but this really needed it's own thread. The B0 Conroes are Overclocking Monsters! Everything they throw at it, this chip takes it in stride. No cold bugs to be found! Coolaler is runing a new clockgen, fsb overclock, etc.. and is reaching 4.6GHz overclocks!

Sorry for all the exclamation points, but it is just spectacular how stable this chip is, and that is only going to get better with production revisions. A 2.6GHz pre-release chip is hitting 4.6GHz no problem.

Full thread: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...

New May 25, 2006 Records:
SuperPi_1M: 11.359 seconds <-- new world record
SuperPi_2M: 28.812 seconds <-- new world record
SuperPi_4M: 1:08.625 <-- new world record
SuperPi_8M: 2:35.375 <-- new world record
SuperPi_16M: 5:45.703 <-- new world record
SuperPi_32M: 12:29.312 <-- new world record
Link: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1471...

Cheers!

Word.
May 25, 2006 10:39:40 PM

Quote:

Hahahaha I have seen some of his post sometimes he seemed ok but I guess sometimes he was a jerk ? I seen the thread about him being banned so it musta been something he said ? anyway I want Conroe so bad now I need to sell some things on Ebay to prepair... yes I can see it now. Nice fast Mobo 2GB's of 1066Mhz DDR2.... *drools and wanders off in techno stupor*
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...
My cpu and memory together didn't cost that much...and I have expensive memory 8O
May 25, 2006 10:53:31 PM

Quote:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...
My cpu and memory together didn't cost that much...and I have expensive memory 8O

I was looking at that but believe it or not the Patriot 1066 DDR2 2GB kit has slightly better timmings... but its also like 10$ more hahahahah I guess at that point 10$ isnt much :)  but yeah thats my goal should last me a while after I get that around :) 
May 25, 2006 10:54:47 PM

Once again, I'm speechless. All this crazy-@$$ Conroe overclocking seems to be imparing my ability to speak.
May 25, 2006 11:18:41 PM

Very nice overclocks.
May 26, 2006 4:57:34 AM

Quote:
Hell, i just bought my new rig in december and it was SUPPOSED to last me at least a year or two. Looks like six months only, since i will be picking one of these babies up. :D 

I just got a new rig about a month ago and I don't have any intention to rush out and buy a new AM2 system or a Core Duo 2 system for that matter. Mine does exactly what I want, and it gets an easy 50% OC.

I guess the Core Solo would replace the Celeron then?
May 26, 2006 8:04:22 PM

Update, a B0 revision 2.93GHz stock Conroe has been spotted in the wild.

New May 26, 2006 Records:
SuperPi_1M: 10.750 seconds <-- new world record
TAM got his hands on an E6800 (2.93GHz stock) Conroe and has overclocked it to.... 4.74GHz. And this is just the beginning.... this was in an INTEL motherboard at 1.324 Vcore, lol.
Link: http://u-san.net/c-board/file/X6800-4739_10s750.gif
May 26, 2006 9:18:07 PM

Quote:

TAM got his hands on an E6800 (2.93GHz stock) Conroe and has overclocked it to.... 4.74GHz. And this is just the beginning.... this was in an INTEL motherboard at 1.324 Vcore, lol.

I think the guys over on XS are right... 1M is passe, 2M should be the

new standard. :wink:
May 27, 2006 11:27:48 AM

Quote:

Don't Know If the X6800 Can be Overclocked to 3.33Ghz or Changed FSB to 1333Mhz but If it can be clocked to that Then I'm goin gto be getting that System.

( OMG! lols I bet in 5-10 years we'll be telling the newbees(kids-in-middleschool-now) what Conroe And ConroeEE and was doing to world records by then the world records will be in the Milliseconds and nanoseconds..)
May 27, 2006 6:03:22 PM

This....is amazing....they either hired Jesus or Chuck Norris to do this (Probably Jesus).
May 27, 2006 6:29:07 PM

Quote:
( OMG! lols I bet in 5-10 years we'll be telling the newbees(kids-in-middleschool-now) what Conroe And ConroeEE and was doing to world records
I doubt that; yes the Conroe is awesomely fast, but new technology always is.
May 27, 2006 6:58:16 PM

Quote:
( OMG! lols I bet in 5-10 years we'll be telling the newbees(kids-in-middleschool-now) what Conroe And ConroeEE and was doing to world records
I doubt that; yes the Conroe is awesomely fast, but new technology always is.

Not necessarily. AM2 hasn't been impressing people at all, really. I'll be buying AM2, because I need a new computer immediately and can't wait for Conroe (I'm going back to college in August and on vacation before that, so i need time to get my new machine running stably).

AM2 wasn't expected to be groundbreaking, except in the case of the FX-62. I believe that there are two kinds of upgrades: those that provide huge performance boosts and those that have to be done before more upgrades can be done. AM2 was a necessary transition. It doesn't really provide any new increases in speed, but there are new chipsets and technologies to take advantage of.

Besides, going from my 4 year old Dell notebook to an AM2-powered desktop will be quite the change.
May 27, 2006 7:01:53 PM

current athlon cpus are so far behind the curve now its scary
May 28, 2006 1:04:41 AM

not yet they aren't. we all know nothing counts until it is actually RELEASED.
May 28, 2006 1:40:15 AM

Quote:
not yet they aren't. we all know nothing counts until it is actually RELEASED.

May 28, 2006 1:53:03 AM

yes that's true. but what i also meant was that the core 2 CPU doesn't count, because it is still something under development, e.g not a finished and released product.
For example, right now AMD may have a quad-core processor in their workshop, which could pwn the crap out of conroe, but does that count?

NO! because it doesn't EXIST. And neither does Conroe. Come on guys the chip is not on the shelves yet.
May 28, 2006 2:04:54 AM

Seriously don't be silly, the exact products that are going to be on shelves at launch have been churning out of Intel's factories for the past month and a half.

We are starting to see benchmarks with B0 revision conroe, which are the exact shipping products (which, by the way, showed a real clock-for-clock improvement over the A0 and A1 engineering samples). They do very much exist: we have pricing, benchmarks and release date, and motherboard revisions that support Conroe started hitting stores last week.

If you can provide pricing, independent benchmarks and a release date for a quad core AMD part that destroys Conroe, I would be really psyched about that. That would rock.

If you want to go with your above (head in the sand) approach to life, that's fine but you should know how silly you sound to practically everyone else. When I look at my watch flip over to 12:01AM on July 23rd, does it make the benchmarks any more or less valid? No, it doesn't change them at all. All that changed is I can go out and buy said chip.
May 28, 2006 3:09:46 AM

Quote:
yes that's true. but what i also meant was that the core 2 CPU doesn't count, because it is still something under development, e.g not a finished and released product.
For example, right now AMD may have a quad-core processor in their workshop, which could pwn the crap out of conroe, but does that count?

NO! because it doesn't EXIST. And neither does Conroe. Come on guys the chip is not on the shelves yet.

All true but you can buy some engineering samples on Ebay (not that I would pay the prices they want.... hmmm still cheaper and faster then an FX-60 though....) It wont be long what 2 months ? well less then 1 month but I dont think anyone will be able to actualy buy a boxed CPU for at least a couple of weeks after they are released. Hmmm I probably am wronge though AMD managed to get AM2 processors out pretty fast :)  I cant imagine Intel having fewer CPU's then AMD to sell (they have more fabs from what I hear).
May 28, 2006 4:36:07 AM

Quote:
Seriously don't be silly, the exact products that are going to be on shelves at launch have been churning out of Intel's factories for the past month and a half.

We are starting to see benchmarks with B0 revision conroe, which are the exact shipping products (which, by the way, showed a real clock-for-clock improvement over the A0 and A1 engineering samples). They do very much exist: we have pricing, benchmarks and release date, and motherboard revisions that support Conroe started hitting stores last week.

If you can provide pricing, independent benchmarks and a release date for a quad core AMD part that destroys Conroe, I would be really psyched about that. That would rock.

If you want to go with your above (head in the sand) approach to life, that's fine but you should know how silly you sound to practically everyone else. When I look at my watch flip over to 12:01AM on July 23rd, does it make the benchmarks any more or less valid? No, it doesn't change them at all. All that changed is I can go out and buy said chip.

hold on, the "quad core amd" was only a hypothetical idea which i was using as an example to prove my point which you obviously didn't get.

no, it does not change the benchmarks, i am not disagreeing that the B0 stepping chips that we have now are invalid, because they probably are completely true to what we will get in the retail.

but my point is: these won't be released (so therefore they don't officially exist) until july 23rd, because between now and that time, the competition could do anything at all (not that i am saying they will - it's just always a possibility).

do you see what i'm trying to throw out there? i am not being silly, you just seem to misunderstand me.

the problem is i think i am not being very clear in what i am saying.

at the end of the day, i dont care if you get my point, i'm just trying to see what everyone thinks about a different opinion.
May 28, 2006 7:03:24 PM

the fanbois need to wake up...you're living in a dream world! Even if the newly released cpus don't overclock as well as the engineering samples, they still DESTROY amd clock vs clock. That is not debatable.
!