Router Recommendation for Sipgate and Sipura-2000?

Last response: in Networking
January 18, 2005 9:32:31 PM

I have bought a Sipura-2000 to use with Sipgate, but have been completely
defeated by my Netgear RP614(v2) router. It works fine for other Internet
use, but I have wasted hours trying to set it to work with the Sipura (and
indeed with xLite). Sipgate Tech Support can't suggest how to make the
Netgear unit work with their system. Netgear now tell me they do not support
VOIP with the RP614.

Sipgate don't offer or recommend any routers here in the UK, but their site
in Germany offers Linksys WRT54G and WAG54G routers. Both of these include
wifi, which I don't need (and would prefer to avoid) - can anyone suggest
equivalent models that will offer same compatability without wifi?

My internet connection is from a small regional radio-based operator - I
need PPPOE.

John Geddes
England
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 9:32:32 PM

Get a WRT54G and disable the wireless using the web configuration. It's
a very good router.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 4:35:33 AM

Draytek Vigor range of routers are class above the cheap 'consumer' routers,
but worth the price in not wasting time trying to get them to work and peace
of mind.
The now have versions with VoIP socket(s) too.
Mine hasn't missed a bit since May 03, but I had to update the firmware to
get VoIP to work.
Look here http://www.seg.co.uk/products/a_router_compare.html,
nut buy from broadbandbuyer.co.uk or other online box shifter.
Regards,
Martin
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 10:30:28 AM

John Geddes schrieb:
> I have bought a Sipura-2000 to use with Sipgate, but have been completely
> defeated by my Netgear RP614(v2) router. It works fine for other Internet
> use, but I have wasted hours trying to set it to work with the Sipura (and
> indeed with xLite). Sipgate Tech Support can't suggest how to make the
> Netgear unit work with their system. Netgear now tell me they do not support
> VOIP with the RP614.

hi !

VOIP through a NAT-Firewall is VERY tricky. I have Sipura3000 with a
noname router. I got this to work with the following settings :

1. You have to port-forward from outside to your sipura
inside the following ports :

UDP 5060-5061 (SIP-signalling)
UDP 16384 - 16500 (port range for voice)

2. You have to configure your sipura to support NAT

In the SIP-Section, NAT-Support:

Handle VIA received : YES
Insert VIA received : YES
Handle VIA rport : YES
Insert VIA rport : YES

In the Line1-Secton / Gateway-Accounts, you have to enable
NAT-Mapping too.

Try this and give me a note if that helped. How to configure
portforwarding on your RP614 i don't know, but it should be possible.

In my place, the Spiura works fine with 256kBit/s DSL and Sipgate. If
You have further questions or like to know my Sipgate-Telephonenumber,
don't hesitate to give me a personal mail.

Regards and good luck !

Alexander Ackermann
!