Intel D975XBX's viiv cancels D805 support to what extent?

_Morphine_

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
The Intel site doesnt show support for the Pentium D 805. The reviews on this board are quite nice and the price is more reasonable than the Asus WS solution. It would be nice if this board worked for the 4.1 OC hype.

***EDIT: I looked into it further and as far as I can tell the only reason the CPU isnt listed as supported by the D975XBX is the 533 FSB conflicting with the viiv technology.

My question is now more of how the viiv works. Can I go ahead and use the 805D with that board and only lose the viiv functions, or will the whole thing just not work? (I probably wouldnt use it anyway)

Also, out of curiousity, would OCing the system make the CPU viiv compatible?

Help-meh!

-M

raeaqusn

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
i don't have an answer or anything, i won't get my d975xbx until next week.
i do have a pentium d 930 to put in it. I am trying to find out what people are experiencing with the board.

noblekitty

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
ViiV is only a marketing name Intel used to describe those platforms that have certain required components outlined by Intel. These platforms are meant to be used as HTPC mostly. You shouldn't have to worry about it.

I haven't tried the D 805 on Intel D975xbx myself, but if the D 805 works on other brand 975 chipset, I don't see why it wouldn't work on the Intel brand.

ebuyc

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Well it wont post with the 805D for me... :?

But I dont have another set of memory to check either.

I have patriot DDR2-800 (in anticipation of Conroe..) 4-4-4-12

I will order some DDR2-667 with better timing marks, and a cheap ABIT or ECS board and try agian for this CPU.

For the 'bad axe' mobo - "Where's my Conroe!?"

If anyone else has got the D975XBX & 805D to post- please POST here and lets others know. At this point looks like 'NOT' though.

jph1589

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I know this thread is a few days old, but I would not buy an intel board to overclock anything. You can't trust that the bios options that you need are there even if their online manuals show them. You also can't trust that they won't take them away in the next update. When you contact them about any bios options that are advertised and not there, they scold you like a child. So buy the ASUS board.......or better yet Buy the C19-a SLI for $75. It is a perfect board for the 805.