Del

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001

What printers can print on CD's - I want the cheapest (I already own a TDK
LPW-50 and its not enough for my needs)

Any suggestions

TIA

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <422dac5d$0$75868$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, del@here.com says...
> What printers can print on CD's - I want the cheapest (I already own a TDK
> LPW-50 and its not enough for my needs)
>
> Any suggestions
>

> TIA

In the US a good economical choice is the Epson R-200. I think I paid about
$90 (US) for mine.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

del@here.com wrote:
> What printers can print on CD's - I want the cheapest (I already own
> a TDK LPW-50 and its not enough for my needs)
>
> Any suggestions
>

> TIA

US or non-US?
Canon ip3000, ip4000 ip5000... for non-US

del@here.com wrote:
> What printers can print on CD's - I want the cheapest (I already own a TDK
> LPW-50 and its not enough for my needs)
>
> Any suggestions
>

> TIA
I noticed in the latest PCWORLD magazine that HP has a dual layer DVD
writer that will burn a label using the laser. I think it takes special
disks, but you turn the disk over and run your label program. It
retails for $130.00

They said it takes about 5 minutes to burn a label with text. A lot
longer (45 minutes or more) for complex graphics.

Sorry, that's all I know. It sounds interesting. It would be more
interesting if someone besides HP sold one.

John

zakezuke

> I noticed in the latest PCWORLD magazine that HP has a dual layer DVD
> writer that will burn a label using the laser. I think it takes
special
> disks, but you turn the disk over and run your label program. It
> retails for $130.00

The system is called "LightScribe" The official site is
http://www.lightscribe.com/

Not anyone I know of actually sells the DVD media yet, though you can
get on a waiting list for Memorex DVD+R for about $20.00 a 10 pack with
jewel cases at a local big name shop. CD media is somewhat easier to
find, I last priced it at $10 a 5 pack with jewel cases. So presently
either or for $2/per. I know of no DVD-R for this system.

The idea is sound enough but it's hardly what i'd consider to be a buy
it now technology. It has the obvious benefits no run no jitter won't
rub off printing with a fixed cost of consumables. But the write time
is massive. I haven't actually timed my Epson R200 but it's no 45min,
it's no 5min.

I don't have an accurate cost of ink/disc estimate for my Epson R200
but I have printed over 200 CDs, at about 25% color. Needless to say
at present buying inkjet printable media and using an inkjet printer is
over 1/2 the price of the HP solution. This may change later.

zakezuke wrote:
>> I noticed in the latest PCWORLD magazine that HP has a dual layer DVD
>> writer that will burn a label using the laser. I think it takes
>> special disks, but you turn the disk over and run your label
>> program. It retails for $130.00
>

> The system is called "LightScribe" The official site is
> http://www.lightscribe.com/
>
> Not anyone I know of actually sells the DVD media yet, though you can
> get on a waiting list for Memorex DVD+R for about $20.00 a 10 pack
> with jewel cases at a local big name shop. CD media is somewhat
> easier to find, I last priced it at $10 a 5 pack with jewel cases.
> So presently either or for $2/per. I know of no DVD-R for this
> system.
>
> The idea is sound enough but it's hardly what i'd consider to be a buy
> it now technology. It has the obvious benefits no run no jitter won't
> rub off printing with a fixed cost of consumables. But the write time
> is massive. I haven't actually timed my Epson R200 but it's no 45min,
> it's no 5min.
>
> I don't have an accurate cost of ink/disc estimate for my Epson R200
> but I have printed over 200 CDs, at about 25% color. Needless to say
> at present buying inkjet printable media and using an inkjet printer
> is over 1/2 the price of the HP solution. This may change later.

I guess it's not in color...???
Isn't it similar try as Yamaha one for CDR's---which noone really used?