Discover VoIP devices in a network..

Last response: in Networking
January 19, 2005 5:25:42 AM

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a method to find all the VoIP devices in a network
to monitor and manage them. I have searched the web for informations
regarding this, but with very little success.

The only option that I have found is to discover a gatekeeper by
sending a multicast message (gatekeeperRequest message) to 224.0.1.41.
Is there similar ways for other devices like Call Server, IPPhone,
Gateway, etc... Is there a way to get these information from the call
server? At the moment, I am mainly focussing on Cisco devices. So, even
a Cisco specific option would do.

Thanks & Regards,
Stephen Regan.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 2:08:04 AM

"Stephen Regan" <CyberTeT@gmail.com> writes:

>Can anyone suggest a method to find all the VoIP devices in a network
>to monitor and manage them.

I built a script to setup some Sipura devices. I certainly understand
the desire to automate such things.

>The only option that I have found is to discover a gatekeeper by
>sending a multicast message (gatekeeperRequest message) to 224.0.1.41.
>Is there similar ways for other devices like Call Server, IPPhone,
>Gateway, etc... Is there a way to get these information from the call
>server? At the moment, I am mainly focussing on Cisco devices. So, even
>a Cisco specific option would do.

Do you control the network? For my system I just scanned the DHCP
leases and picked out the Sipura devices. Doing something similar for
Cisco devices should be fairly straightforward.

(For a large system you're probably using static leases, right? Can
you just use that file?)

As far as managing them once you've found them, I don't know what's
possible for Cisco. The Sipuras have an HTTP/HTML interface and I
just used that.

--kyler
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 8:39:18 AM

Hi Kyler,

I find it a bit hard to get your point. Are you suggesting to get the
lease information from dns server. I don't think the lease record will
give device type info (gatekeeper, gateway, etc). Moreover, what about
software solutions. I am sure the lease will not have that info. Am i
missing something here?

Is there any ways to get the information from the device itself using
stuff like SNMP. Or, are there any protocol specific (SIP/H.323)
methods?

Thanks & Regards,
Stephen Regan.
Related resources
January 20, 2005 10:39:07 AM

On 20 Jan 2005 05:39:18 -0800, "Stephen Regan" <CyberTeT@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi Kyler,
>
>I find it a bit hard to get your point. Are you suggesting to get the
>lease information from dns server. I don't think the lease record will
>give device type info (gatekeeper, gateway, etc). Moreover, what about
>software solutions. I am sure the lease will not have that info. Am i
>missing something here?
>
>Is there any ways to get the information from the device itself using
>stuff like SNMP. Or, are there any protocol specific (SIP/H.323)
>methods?

If you know the type of devices, you can discover them on the network
via MAC address. Any SNMP or network sniffer will capture those, and
as all manufacturers have an assigned range, you can look up what they
are then you can usually push configs to them.

Hal

>Thanks & Regards,
>Stephen Regan.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 7:41:35 AM

Wow. That was one cool solution to find the vendor name. Thanks Hal.

Any such cooler solution to find the devices type ;-) also.
Thanks & Regards,
Stephen Regan.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 5:08:03 PM

"Stephen Regan" <CyberTeT@gmail.com> writes:

>Are you suggesting to get the
>lease information from dns server.

Yes.

>I don't think the lease record will
>give device type info (gatekeeper, gateway, etc).

You'll know the Ethernet manufacturer from the MAC address. For my
Sipura devices that's quite helpful. If you have Cisco gear
everywhere it's just a start.

>Moreover, what about
>software solutions. I am sure the lease will not have that info. Am i
>missing something here?

Once you know the IP address, it's time to probe the machine. If
it has an HTTP server, it's should be trivial to get versions, etc.

>Is there any ways to get the information from the device itself using
>stuff like SNMP. Or, are there any protocol specific (SIP/H.323)
>methods?

Probably. I'm not familiar with your devices.

--kyler
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 4:52:03 PM

Many of the Internet Services providers in India are in search for such
VOIP Internet usage through devices - as its illegal as of today -
without proper license. Many calling card companies are still doing it
without proper license.

Yes, its still ILLEGAL to use VOIP deviecs without license in INDIA.

Reliance is sued for using VOIP to PSTN termination by BSNL for
Rs.100,000 Crores.
!