Sign in with
Your question

NVidia 7950GX2 Observation

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 25, 2006 12:07:26 PM

In case anyone doesn't already know here's a link to what I'm talking about...

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2505

This card is going to be advertised as the fastest card available... when I read this, I couldn't help but have flashbacks to when 3DFX tried this exact same thing with their Voodoo line of video cards. Instead of trying to offer the best GPUs possible, they chose to rely on quantity... with one card having a total of 4 GPUs... insanity! Well, it just seems like NVidia is taking that same route... if you can't beat 'em, add more of 'em to a card/system and maybe... just maybe you'll outperform them. I just don't think this helps NVidia out and to some degree rattles my confidence in the company.
May 25, 2006 12:48:44 PM

..Yea sounds like a desperate attempt kill the XTX, looks like they just patched up a problem. I noticed alot of guys cimplaining that its just 2 7900GTX's "welded" together. But I also think its more like 2 GT'sBut hey if its cheaper than 2 GTX's, takes the same space, than why not, like they said, its marketing doing its job. I wouldnt be surprised if ATI was trying the same thing as we speak, but we all know how long it took them to get int he SLI race, long after Nvidia had sucked the market dry. Technically it IS the fastes single card "available" I guess.

It's gonna be one hell of a summer...... :D  :D  :D  :D 

Any1 know what ATI has up their sleeve?
May 25, 2006 1:31:58 PM

Why not? I they can do it, and people can buy it, then, why not?
An exercise of engineering maybe? 8O

It's the same thing everywhere...
"Oh, Intel has the Core 2 Duo Extreme... AMD is on his knees know... I don't think they've got something to answer..."
"Oh, ATI has the X1900XTX, and it pwnz the 7900GTX... Nvidia is done!"
OK, those are BILLIONAIRE companies, and they're not DONE because of one or two "bad" products. They've ALWAYS got something to "answer", just think about it for a second...

Remember when the XBOX came out? It had a modified GF3 in it (NV2a, wasn't it?), and the fastest Nvidia card back then was the GF2 Ultra (or GTS). That means these guys (either ATI or Nvidia) have the nest generation cards ALREADY done by the time they release the current gen... I'd bet both ATI and Nvidia have the R600 and G80 already, or at least half way done 8)
Related resources
May 25, 2006 1:41:39 PM

Maybe the above poster is too young to remember 3DFX... if that's the case, here... read this...

http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/divers/v5-6000/v56kg...

This is the history of 3DFX... notice how their competitor (then NVidia) offered a product that had a capability their product didn't (the ability to render in 32 bits) Well, today that could be similar to NVidia's inability to do HDR and AA at the same time... yes, I know that NVidia is a MUCH larger corporation and they're not going anywhere... I'm just making the point that there are a few similarities... additionally, 3DFX (as previously mentioned) relied on the "more is better" mantra... when in reality "better is better" For 3DFX to have a performance competitive card, they had to rely on more and more cores... well, guess what? That makes for a more expensive card... you better believe ATI is laughing at the thought of competing with NVidia if their only plan is to offer twice the number of GPUs. At best that strategy should be viewed as a stop-gap measure.

If you make it through the very end of the article...

"Although the Voodoo 5 6000 is a real monster that would make you a center of attention at a lanparty, the card would not have been able to fight well a long time vis-a-vis to its competitors. The lack of T&L whould have been problematic very soon and the 4 GPU solution looks more like a desesperate rescue solution. It is with this card that an exceptional company died on 14 december 2000... "
May 25, 2006 1:56:25 PM

In fact, I owned a Voodoo Banshee, and LOVED that card.
I know the 3Dfx's history, and the reason they plunged was the technological inferiority (16 bit color, 256x256 tex). Yes, they provided motion blur, AA, depth of field and other amazing technologies, but, back then, it was the "texture quality war"... Remeber S3TC??
The Voodoo3 was 3Dfx's doom... They tried to fix it with the Voodoo4, but it was too late. Tumbling down from then...
Nvidia bought 3Dfx, so I want to think they've learned the lesson...
May 25, 2006 2:00:53 PM

I bought the original Voodoo 1 just so I could play Quake 1 the way it was meant to be played... it was really unbelievable at the time. Later I acquired a Voodoo 3 based card so I could play Ultima 9... so yes, I have fond memories as well.

It just seems like there are some similarities between NVidia and the company they destroyed then purchased... I just don't think the answer lies in more cores. That 4 core Voodoo card looks ridiculous... as does the idea of having a quad-SLI setup... the power, the heat, the price, etc... all of these make me think "Man, why couldn't they just make a better chip?"
May 25, 2006 2:01:38 PM

Sounds really nice and ATI is gonna have to come up with something. Anyways what's the deal with card in relation to Vista, DX10 and SM4?
May 25, 2006 2:09:27 PM

Quote:
Sounds really nice and ATI is gonna have to come up with something. Anyways what's the deal with card in relation to Vista, DX10 and SM4?

May 25, 2006 2:12:19 PM

Quote:
I bought the original Voodoo 1 just so I could play Quake 1 the way it was meant to be played...

Ironic, isn't it?? :lol:  :lol:  Doesn't remind you to another company??

Quote:
It just seems like there are some similarities between NVidia and the company they destroyed then purchased... I just don't think the answer lies in more cores. That 4 core Voodoo card looks ridiculous... as does the idea of having a quad-SLI setup... the power, the heat, the price, etc... all of these make me think "Man, why couldn't they just make a better chip?"

Many things are done because of marketing. Many people see 4 GPUs and go nuts, followed by an irresistible desire of having it (of course, they also have a big pocket :wink: ).
What I think? They CAN make a better chip, but it would cost as much (or even more) that a 7950GX2, so, they provide this "solution" (partial, if you ask me)
May 25, 2006 2:18:38 PM

Quote:

no answer?
May 25, 2006 2:21:25 PM

Quote:

no answer?

Don't you think that's OFF-TOPIC??? 8O
May 25, 2006 2:44:10 PM

Im just wondering that for this kind of card that is something fast and expensive that it could be compatible for future use.
May 25, 2006 2:54:47 PM

No support for SM 4.0 because this is old tech , wait for the new cards for that, DX 10 will prolly work.
May 25, 2006 2:55:11 PM

Quote:
Im just wondering that for this kind of card that is something fast and expensive that it could be compatible for future use.

May 25, 2006 3:15:08 PM

You're welcome.
They are releasing the Dual on the heels, so to speak, of new silicon upcoming. Surely not the first time, but it will make those that have the cash for it ponder whether to wait for the new G80 or buy now. Quite messed up.
May 25, 2006 3:19:25 PM

Does that mean that the single PCI-Express x16 mobo will completely die soon?

omg, I just ordered my rig with a non-sli mobo! If that's the trend of all the new "single card" solution in the future, then what's the point to buy a sli board and only use one of those PCI-EX16 slot?

will there be some kind of new "single-slot-but-sli-enabled"(SSBSE) motherboard in the market??

funny
May 25, 2006 3:38:42 PM

Hi guys

Ii is easy to critisize Nvidia, HOWEVER, I think one must recognise the fact that Nvidia seems to produce GPU's that are vastly more complete than ATI

ATI may be able to do HDR + AA but still their chip is not as sophisticated as the Nvidia one. I think Nvidia just thought it need not pursue this.

Given the chance I would buy Ati, and I have an Ati right now, BUT , I am afraid if I was to put my money on a company for getting us somewhere, I would put it on Nvidia. Remember they are the ones who got us here in the first place!
May 25, 2006 3:53:21 PM

Actually, the company that lead us here was 3Dfx, Nvidia just continued their legacy.
I have to recognize Nvidia for many new technologies they have introduced, like SLI (rebirth :wink: ), HDR, T&L, and many others.
It seems that Nvidia brings new tech and ATI refines it. I'm aware that ATI had some interesting features too, like Truform (anyone uses this?).
I just wonder if any other company would challenge them, like Nvidia did with 3Dfx back then...
The era of brilliant people has come to an end? Only 2 choices left? No one else?
Nvidia or ATI, AMD or Intel... I know VIA is out there, but, come on, you can't call that a serious competition for the desktop market...
May 25, 2006 3:53:51 PM

Me personally, i am all on that new card. Granted i need new mother board, and cpu, mem, blah, but that was budgeted. I just had reservations on buying the video component. I wanted a 790gtx card, but now, i definetly will get this card.
Main reason, 1. i dont want 2 $500+ cards in my system.
2. I want the pci slots avaliable. IE for my sound blaster, and possible physic card.

More so, that the performance is very good considering it is 1 card. versus getting 2 7900 gtx, sli, and such, i mean the power requirements for those 2 cards are insane. 1 card is good, and this looks like it will be the killer single card solution for a while, (2months if i am lucky, lol)..

I care less about a 3dmark score, i am mostly interested in a good gamming experience. Hence the reason i play the game in the first place
May 25, 2006 4:01:23 PM

It is SLI so you will still need the SLI Mobo. Even thought it's one card it is SLI.
May 25, 2006 4:24:38 PM

And because they use wimpy cooling, they underclock that card pretty severely. Oh well... to each his (or her) own.
May 25, 2006 4:31:11 PM

Quote:
Hi guys

Ii is easy to critisize Nvidia, HOWEVER, I think one must recognise the fact that Nvidia seems to produce GPU's that are vastly more complete than ATI

W

Quote:
ATI may be able to do HDR + AA but still their chip is not as sophisticated as the Nvidia one. I think Nvidia just thought it need not pursue this.

T

Quote:

Given the chance I would buy Ati, and I have an Ati right now, BUT , I am afraid if I was to put my money on a company for getting us somewhere, I would put it on Nvidia. Remember they are the ones who got us here in the first place!

F
May 25, 2006 4:35:06 PM

ATi has the stunning R600 series core. This core was used in the XBOX 360 and in a comparision between a PC with SLI 7900GTX's and the 360 both running Oblivion the 360 won by about 39 fps. This was in my own test with everything on and both connected to a High-Def TV. The frame rates were messured with the use of a high-speed camera.

Also the R600's are DX10. Plus only one outpreforms two 7900GTX's 8O . I hear the new 3200 chipset from ATi will boost the R600's preformance even more.
May 25, 2006 5:08:49 PM

Lets see how well that 7950GX2 does against this baby:

The Foot-long.
LOL...The good Ol' Days.
May 25, 2006 6:32:30 PM

What do you mean wtf ??

I wonder how many engineering degrees you hold to say something so clever as that. !

Read the specs and the reviews. Ati designs are not so ambitious or sophisticated as Nvidia ones. This was true even back at the ill fated 5800 or something.

Ati has found the way to produce (and kudos to them) a very very fast design.

But I think its nvidia that is more likely to make the next breakthrough !

you can wtf all you want !!
May 25, 2006 6:34:23 PM

This a well known fact: YOU CAN'T COMPARE A PC WITH A CONSOLE.
Even though they could have similar technologies, the architecture is completely and absolutely different.
Is like comparing a F1 with an every-day road car. Nowhere near to make a fair comparison.
Let's say you do have a R600 card for your computer, you install it and you benchmark it. Fine.
But you can't compare it to a previous generation Nvidia card. It's just pointless. SLI doesn't matter either. If not, you could say: "Yeah, mi 7900GTX wipes the floor with 2 6800 Ultras in SLI". Maybe it is that way, but you can't call that a fair and reasonable comparison. Period.
May 25, 2006 10:30:19 PM

Console and PC comparos really suck and they are oh so f*****g stupid. A damn console is only for games and playing a DVD, a PC does almost everything else nitwits.
Consoles are for those that can't configure a PC.
May 26, 2006 12:37:13 AM

1 - I would like to see a console running xp and game at the same time

2- the resolutions are different

3- the software is written for the specific hardware

4- I don't even know why this came into the argument.
May 26, 2006 1:21:00 AM

Quote:
ATi has the stunning R600 series core. This core was used in the XBOX 360 and in a comparision between a PC with SLI 7900GTX's and the 360 both running Oblivion the 360 won by about 39 fps. This was in my own test with everything on and both connected to a High-Def TV. The frame rates were messured with the use of a high-speed camera.

Also the R600's are DX10. Plus only one outpreforms two 7900GTX's 8O . I hear the new 3200 chipset from ATi will boost the R600's preformance even more.

That's why this came into argument. I just couldn't let go an atrocity like that.
There are SO MANY wrong things there I can't even name them all. I don't feel like doing it. :|
May 26, 2006 1:44:15 AM

Quote:

The core in the Xbox360 is the R500, not the R600. The R500 is a unified shader architecture, but it's still underpowered compared to the X1900.
!