SilverStone ST60F Blowing INTO case

Xanthro

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
Is this normal?

It wouldn't be a problem except it's blowing hot air right over the CPU and there is less than a half inch on top to invert the PSU. I don't think it could blow enough air into that space, and it would likely be loud.

smedlin

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
the Powersupply is blowing air INTO the case?

I've never heard of that. This may sound stupid, but is it installed "backwards" (upside down so to speak). Yes, I know, because of the shap it can probably only fit in one 'way', but you never know...

Course, the fan inside it may be on backwards.

blueeyesm

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
When this particular PSU is installed properly, The fan should be facing towards the bottom of the case. In this pic (http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/power-60f/34-view/60f.jpg), the PSU would be upside down if it was installed in a tower case.

Note that the shape of the blades of the fan should be curled into towards the circuit board of the power supply. It should be extracting air from the case, up and inot the PSU and out the back of the supply. If ihe baldes are curled away from the baord, then you have a defectively built unit, or someone has tampered with it.

Xanthro

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
So the fan is blowing backwards. LOL.

Yes, the PSU is "upside down" in the tower case with the fan facing down.

It's definitely taking air from the back of the PSU and blowing into the case. I was wondering why my temps were a bit high. Really not that bad but 5c more than I expected.

Bad part is I'll have to take the PSU apart to reverse the fan.

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to make sure there isn't some new technology that I've never heard of before.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
That's not good because the hot air from the PSU is going inside the case and therefore raising the temps and decreasing the the cooling performance of your cpu, n/b and vga coolers as well.

You need to return it or if you have a bit of skills then remove and open up that PSU and fix the problem by either rotating the fan or reversing the polarity of the power.

My guess is the fan is installed backward by the manufacturers assembly.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Yeah they usually have a warranty sticker on it but with a heatgun/ hairdryer and a careful peeling should do the trick without damaging it. Then reapply the stickers in the same spot after the repair. :D There warranty is still good. :D

Something I learned from my geek friends.

Xanthro

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
SilverStone was great.

Called them at 909-598-2318 Talked to Joe.

The fan was on backwards, the SilverStone sticker should be showing, but it wasn't.

There is no "do not remove" sticker to invalidate the warranty, and SilverStone has no problem with opening up the PSU.

Took a whole two minutes to removed the PSU flip the fan and put it back in.

Working great now.

I just wanted to be sure there wasn't some method that internally changes the direction of the air flow. In something like the Li Lian 2100 case with the PSU on the bottom, the reverse flow would work really well. Taking cold air from the bottom outside of the case and blowing it out the back.

Thanks for everyone's help!!

Xanthro

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
(round of applause and patting each other on the back)way to go team!
will they still warranty the psu?

Yes, SilverStone will still warranty the PSU. In fact, there's no way for them to ever know you opened the case. They said we don't have any dumb stickers keeping it closed. LOL.

Now that this was solved modded the x1900xt with the Zalman VF900 and maxed out the memory clock and upped the VPU to 665, and the high was 70c. The stock cooling blows, card got into the 90s and would shut down.