Canon S520 Flashing power light

Hi

I've been using my S520 for a couple of years now with no problems
until yesterday!

I switched on and it did the usual "rum rum" and then the green power
light flashed orange 4 times and then returned to green. Since then
it flashes in the exact same sequence, 4 orange and one green and
refuses to do anything other!

Anyone got a solution?

Many thanks in advance

Steve

Steve Booth wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been using my S520 for a couple of years now with no problems
> until yesterday!
>
> I switched on and it did the usual "rum rum" and then the green power
> light flashed orange 4 times and then returned to green. Since then
> it flashes in the exact same sequence, 4 orange and one green and
> refuses to do anything other!
>
> Anyone got a solution?
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> Steve

RTFM. Seriously - it should list all the error codes.
on salads.

DaveC

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 08:49:43 -0800, Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote
(in article <JIkXd.3995$oA7.122@fe06.highwinds-media.phx>):

> RTFM. Seriously - it should list all the error codes.

If you don't have it, download it from the Canon web site:

<http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=SupportDetailAct&fcategoryid=
231&modelid=6611>

Click on "Quickstart guide/ setup instructions" and follow the steps to
download the user guide.

If the light is flashing alternately green and orange, unplug the printer's
power cord and plug it back in. If that doesn't fix the problem, it is time
to either send it to a Canon repair center or buy another printer. All other
flashing of the light (2 orange, 1 green; 3 orange, 1 green; etc) can
probably be fixed by you.

Good luck,

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Does it cost less to buy a new printer (most models) than is does to pay
for a repair including shipping?

DaveC wrote:

>On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 08:49:43 -0800, Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote
>(in article <JIkXd.3995$oA7.122@fe06.highwinds-media.phx>):
>

>>RTFM. Seriously - it should list all the error codes.
>>

>If you don't have it, download it from the Canon web site:
>
><http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=SupportDetailAct&fcategoryid=
>231&modelid=6611>
>
>Click on "Quickstart guide/ setup instructions" and follow the steps to
>download the user guide.
>
>If the light is flashing alternately green and orange, unplug the printer's
>power cord and plug it back in. If that doesn't fix the problem, it is time
>to either send it to a Canon repair center or buy another printer. All other
>flashing of the light (2 orange, 1 green; 3 orange, 1 green; etc) can
>probably be fixed by you.
>
>Good luck,

I was having a similar problem with my BJC-4300 and someone suggested my
cartrige may be bad. Sure 'nuf, when I plugged in an old cartrige,
every thing went back to normal. It's worth a try.

"Steve Booth" <steve.booth@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I've been using my S520 for a couple of years now with no problems
> until yesterday!
>
> I switched on and it did the usual "rum rum" and then the green power
> light flashed orange 4 times and then returned to green. Since then
> it flashes in the exact same sequence, 4 orange and one green and
> refuses to do anything other!
>
> Anyone got a solution?
>
> Many thanks in advance

Ummm...check your ink tanks for empties

In the manual for my Canon; 4 flashes indicates an empty ink tank!

One or more of your ink tanks are empty (both ink reservoir and sponge). Did
you open the cover and look at any of them? You can actually see when they
are empty.

It is also possible that the alarm circuitry is giving a false 'out of ink'
warning, but that is a pretty remote possibility. Four flashes of orange
followed by green is the out of ink alarm (stated in the user manual). You
should read your user manual before posting here, some folks will likely
jump down your throat for asking such an easily self answered question.

Good luck.

"Steve Booth" <steve.booth@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I've been using my S520 for a couple of years now with no problems
> until yesterday!
>
> I switched on and it did the usual "rum rum" and then the green power
> light flashed orange 4 times and then returned to green. Since then
> it flashes in the exact same sequence, 4 orange and one green and
> refuses to do anything other!
>
> Anyone got a solution?
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> Steve

"Steve Booth" <steve.booth@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I've been using my S520 for a couple of years now with no problems
> until yesterday!
>
> I switched on and it did the usual "rum rum" and then the green power
> light flashed orange 4 times and then returned to green. Since then
> it flashes in the exact same sequence, 4 orange and one green and
> refuses to do anything other!
>
> Anyone got a solution?
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> Steve

If you DO get a new printer, don't throw the S520 out. My S530D blinked 8
times, which according to the Canon trouble-shooter meant it was ready to
become an expensive door stop.
I got a Pixma 3000 as a replacement, but kept the 530 because of it's memory
card facility. I plugged it in today having not used it for a couple of
months , and it works like the day I bought it!
I HAD tried unplugging, resetting etc before I bought the Pixma , but it
didn't help. It seems "Time Heals All Canon's Wounds...?"