Vista card yet?

falloutman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
Ive heard of NVidia's DX10 compatible card, but whats the status on ATI? since AMD cant get their shit together and make a decent CPU, im switching to Intel adn ATI and going to go Vistaproof in teh switch.

Grinch123456

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Neither ATI or NVidia have a consumer DX10 card available. I would assume ATI would do better in DX10 performance after already launching a DX10 GPU in the Xbox360, but we'll have to see how things play out. ATI has also already sent its developers DX10 kits as well (for games), or so I remember reading it somewhere. ATI seems to be on the ball.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
ATI is already simulating unified shaders on the X1900 series and getting a speed boost. To be honest it wouldn't suprise me if ATI figured out a way to make the X1900 series into a semi-DX10 card (or designed it to be). Maybe not as powerful as their true DX10 card but 75% or so of it. I mean look at the Xbox360 GPU. 48 unified shaders? X1900 series. 48 pixel shaders? Little bit of a similarity there.

sailer

Splendid
Ok, lets try a hypothetical assumption, which is dangerous because such things are often wrong. Lets say that the 1900 was originally intended to be a DV10 card, but Microworst kept delaying the release date of VISTA and ATI was left with a card and no operating system to use it with. What's the best thing for ATI to do? Modify the code and release it as DX9. Then it sells the cards and can offer a later update to DX10, pulling one over on the NVidia people. In the meantime, it can work on an even better card for when VISTA finally does get officially released.

Could it be? Maybe, but maybe not. Only the future will tell. Either way, it leaves people like me with our new NVIdia GTX's wondering whether we may have made a mistake in choosing our card.

Frank_M

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Ok, lets try a hypothetical assumption, which is dangerous because such things are often wrong. Lets say that the 1900 was originally intended to be a DV10 card, but Microworst kept delaying the release date of VISTA and ATI was left with a card and no operating system to use it with. What's the best thing for ATI to do? Modify the code and release it as DX9.
Might be, but IIRC the R600-series was intended to be dx10

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Probably end 2006, early 2007. I recon DX10 cards will ship WAY before Vista.

What's everyone's take on Crysis - I think it was showcased using DX9 hardware and software (correct me if I'm wrong)?

GenoXide

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Remember, all DirectX cards are backward compatible, so they could release a DirectX 10 card, and it would still work on today's games, then when Vista comes out, it will be ready to go. Plus, with the edition of the Unified Shaders, which combines the vertex and pixel processros to work together, you'll notice SUBSTANCIAL boost in frame rates.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if ATI's counter-act to the 7950GX2 is a X1950 with the Unified Shader system. :)

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Ive heard of NVidia's DX10 compatible card, but whats the status on ATI? since AMD cant get their **** together and make a decent CPU, im switching to Intel adn ATI and going to go Vistaproof in teh switch.
Since AMD can't get their shit together? Until the Conroe is released, AMD still holds the performance crown.

At the moment there are no Direct X 10 videocards available.

falloutman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
Ive heard of NVidia's DX10 compatible card, but whats the status on ATI? since AMD cant get their **** together and make a decent CPU, im switching to Intel adn ATI and going to go Vistaproof in teh switch.
Since AMD can't get their **** together? Until the Conroe is released, AMD still holds the performance crown.

yeah, "until Conroe comes out" So they have, what, a month left? Big fricken deal. AMD wont have anything to show until 2008, and im not waiting that long while I can go intel and run a 2.66 ghz cpu thatll kill the FX-62. Will AMD still hold the performace crown? No! just face it, AMD lost the battle, and will keep doing so for 2 years. I was let down pretty badly when I found this out. Good job AMD, you just lost a ton of customers.

Conroe isn't even released yet, so how do you know it'll beat AMD? You need proof, and at this moment, no one has real benchmarks.

And then there's the rumours about the 2 different AM2s :roll:

Yes, they are backward capable, but no one will buy a $500 DX10 card if they're not going to see any major improvements. And DX10 cards, on XP running with DX9, won't show any graphical improvements.

Wel I have a feeling that the G80 adn R600 will be the fstest DX9 cards as well, especially based on ATi's statements on the subject. So if people were willing to spend almost $800 on a 'kinda fast/slow' and rare GTX-512, why not $500 on the fastest DX9 card that also had benifits that will come iin the future. It's not like the SM3.0 debate where we had some crap cards (mainly GF6200/GF7300) that were touting SM3.0 features without the abilitiy to really use any and sucked in performance for SM2.0 titles that abounded at the time. This will be like the launch of the R9700 and the GF6800. Fast cards in their current/previous generation titles, but also the benifits of future features. Because the DX10 change is so radical I would say that it's worth considering, but I'd still hold off on buying if you're unsure and the only reason you want to buy is some future title (who knows maybe Ati or nV miss something in their spec that the developers expected and voila DX10 done wrong), best to wait for the next gen if that's why you're buying. But if the G80/R600 are the best DX9.0C+ cards ou there and they play the current titles you like damn fast, then by all means it's a great choice with some nice bonus sprinkles on top.

Ok, lets try a hypothetical assumption, which is dangerous because such things are often wrong. Lets say that the 1900 was originally intended to be a DV10 card,

X1900 doesn't have the shader support (length, temp registries, loops, etc), couldn't do it now period (emulation with CPU help perhaps, they also lack the dedicated geometry shader which could also be emulated. These feature will open up new options, and while they may be dormant aspects of the chip, it's unlikely as it would be a checkbox feature they could still use for PR, there's no benifit to not using it.

but Microworst kept delaying the release date of VISTA and ATI was left with a card and no operating system to use it with. What's the best thing for ATI to do? Modify the code and release it as DX9. Then it sells the cards and can offer a later update to DX10, pulling one over on the NVidia people. In the meantime, it can work on an even better card for when VISTA finally does get officially released.

Doubtful, it's not a question of code so much as hardware.

Something I grabbed from MSDN;
"DX10 APIs don't support D3D9 calls in the same way that D3D9 supported previous APIs. D3D9 is provided and fully supported on vista so if you want to support both you must code that into your engine."

Could it be? Maybe, but maybe not. Only the future will tell. Either way, it leaves people like me with our new NVIdia GTX's wondering whether we may have made a mistake in choosing our card.

Does the GTX play all the games you currently want as well as you'd expect from either card? If so, then don't worry, sell it when there is a reason to move to DX10, in the meantime the GF7 series is just as damn fine as the X1K series.

PS, some resources;

http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/B/2/1B2DA71A-6E70-48EF-8656-2649A1C95E9F/DirectX10FS.doc

http://www.beyond3d.com/articles/xenos/index.php?p=09

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA0NSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

http://www.driverheaven.net/articles/dx10/

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Since AMD can't get their **** together? Until the Conroe is released, AMD still holds the performance crown.

yeah, "until Conroe comes out" So they have, what, a month left? Big fricken deal. AMD wont have anything to show until 2008, and im not waiting that long while I can go intel and run a 2.66 ghz cpu thatll kill the FX-62. Will AMD still hold the performace crown? No! just face it, AMD lost the battle, and will keep doing so for 2 years. I was let down pretty badly when I found this out. Good job AMD, you just lost a ton of customers.

YOu call being in the lead for over 2 years to be doing a crap job?????

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006

YOu call being in the lead for over 2 years to be doing a crap job?????
Since A64, the P4 was outmatched. Intel still holds the mainstream crown, due to Intel's marketing.
AMD was in the lead for a long time, and things change. Give credit to Intel for getting their act together and making a huge improvement. And in '07, we'll see what improvements AMD does.

And then you can buy whatever is the best CPU out at the time. Doesn't matter who makes it as long as it does the job better.....

edwuave

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006

you are damn wrong man, AMD still currently hold the performance crown, and it will do so untill conroe comes out. What? AMD won't have anything to show untill 2008? it's 2007 man, early 2007 AMD will have K8L ready. if u think K8L is more or less a tweaked K8, you are wrong.
read ----->>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31761
between the release date of conroe and the release date of K8L, conroe will hold the performance crown, but for how long?6,7 or 8months?well, we cant say K8L will beat conroe, coz we havent see any official benchmark on it yet. but surely it will come close or equal to the performance of conroe, and it may even outperform conroe with the same clock speed.
comparing conroe to current K8 is like comparing Geforce 6 series to Geforce 5 series.

And then you can buy whatever is the best CPU out at the time. Doesn't matter who makes it as long as it does the job better.....

And perhaps this CPU Fanboi session could be taken to the CPU section.

Like you say AMD/Intel, who cares? There are no altruistic companies in hardware, they all died at the hands of the evil Empires! :twisted:

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006

And perhaps this CPU Fanboi session could be taken to the CPU section.

Like you say AMD/Intel, who cares? There are no altruistic companies in hardware, they all died at the hands of the evil Empires! :twisted:

Exactly. No company actually gives a crap about you. I buy equipment based on mine and other people's experience with different brands. I have no loyalties as such. Other than when one particular brand keeps on breaking down on me!!!!!

S7A88Y

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
How the fuck do you know what AMD has in its bag? Are you a fucking R&D expert? Is the K8l shit?

SHUT YOUR DIRTY NOOBISH MOUTH UNTIL YOU KNOW THINGS!

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
How the **** do you know what AMD has in its bag? Are you a ****** R&D expert? Is the K8l ****?

SHUT YOUR DIRTY NOOBISH MOUTH UNTIL YOU KNOW THINGS!

Calm down buddy...... this thread has nothing directly to do with AMD at all......

sailer

Splendid
These were just random musings, not meant to be particularly serious. I realize that there are a lot of differences in the hardware as well as software. Didn't think of the PR motive, but that would have been a good one for ATI. My 7800 GTX does a good job for now, though I plan to migrate to a better card in the future and give my present one to my son. Thanks for all the resource material though. Gives me some good reading. I'm not going to get too excited until VISTA really comes out. Maybe not for a while then, for that matter.

TRENDING THREADS